Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battlefields Of The First World War

salientpoints

Received my copy today.

First impressions are excellent. Loads of pictures that are new to me and the panoramas on the cd's are amazing. Can zoom in and move around the pictures very easily.

Don't think you are able to print any of the photo's but given that they are copyright then not too surprised.

Well worth buying.

Regards

John

It is a fantastic book but I think you have got that message already. Don't forget that is by the same author who gave us 'Beneath Flanders Fields', so you know what you can expect.

Regards

Simon

Due for release in Australia on 1/11/05 and to be priced at AUD$125. Appears to be a slightly different layout of the book and if you note carefully there is no symbol indicating CD Roms and nothing mentioned on Random House Publishing's site about CD's being included. I think I might look elsewhere for a better bargain.

Tim L.

post-2918-1130075375.jpg

Can't see why the Australian edition should not include the CD Roms.

If this is the case, if any Aussie member wants a UK copy forwarded, I am sure we could oblige.

Thanks Ian,

I think I'll be ordering it from Amazon for 35 pounds (our keyboards don't have the symbol) which is about AUD$81. I did see it on the US Amazon site for even cheaper but it hadn't been released and also mentioned nothing about CD's.

Tim L.

Due for release in Australia on 1/11/05 and to be priced at AUD$125.  Appears to be a slightly different layout of the book and if you note carefully there is no symbol indicating CD Roms and nothing mentioned on Random House Publishing's site about CD's being included.  I think I might look elsewhere for a better bargain.

Tim L.

Tim,

I can assure you that the book, wherever it is distributed, contains the CD Roms. The book simply would not make sense without these. The website for Random House in Australia should be updated soon to show the correct details. You won't have any need to buy it from Amazon's UK website.

Cheers

Just received my copy, have not had time to go through it yet but first impressions on what I have looked at is very good.

Andy

Dear All,

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question, but do any members know whether or not the CD rom photographs which come with this book can be viewed on a Mac? I have a G4 iMac with OS X and Photoshop but maybe this would not do. Any help appreciated.

Kevin

Kevin

My copy arrived this morning. The CD-Roms say "Windows CD-Rom" on the label, which would suggest that they are not Mac compatible.

Mike

Kevin

My copy arrived this morning.  The CD-Roms say "Windows CD-Rom" on the label, which would suggest that they are not Mac compatible.

Mike

Mike,

You are quite right. The publishers looked at doing a 'dual platform' CR-Rom but it was too complex and would have cut down the numbers of panoramas on the discs considerably. It's a real shame for Mac users but as the vast majority of people use Windows the publishers came to this difficult decision.

Cheers

As mentioned above my copy arrived this morning and first impressions are that this is a superb publication.

Admittedly I have yet to read a word of text and have spent the last three hours

'looking at the pictures' both in the book and on the CDs.

It is extraordinary to come face to face with the landscape of the Western Front

and to realise that the destruction was confined to such a narrow band. The photographs show intact church spires and villages just outside the range of the guns.

The early photos show a battlefield yet to be ravaged by war and weather. The 1915 photos around Hooge for example show the ruins of the Chateau and trench lines crossing verdant fields and woods. The a tree-lined Menin Road passes through the panorama.

My own personal favourite discovery is a panorama from the station at Arras from the middle of 1916. It is taken from the top of a chimney used as an observation post. Some months later my grandfather's Siege Battery used this observation post. To know that this is the landscape that they would have looked on is almost unimaginably moving.

I may have to go without food this week but I reckon this book's treasures will last a lifetime.

Mike

Mike, Ralph

Thanks for the information. Pretty much as I expected. My only other thought was - are the pictures stored as jpegs or in some format which makes them able to be viewed as images or does the image file come with a particular PC application for viewing? I suppose I'll still get the book but it would be nice to see the images even if I can't zoom and so on. I'll keep checking here, maybe someone can experiment a bit.

Regards

Kevin

Mike, Ralph

Thanks for the information. Pretty much as I expected. My only other thought was - are the pictures stored as jpegs or  in some  format which makes them  able to be viewed as images  or does the image file come with a particular  PC application for viewing? I suppose I'll still get the book but it would be nice to see the images even if I can't zoom and so on. I'll keep checking here, maybe someone can experiment a bit.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin,

Unfortunately you are right in supposing that the image file comes with a particular PC application for viewing. There is no way to see these if you have a Mac. However, the book is over 370 pages long and I am sure you could use a friend's PC to view the panoramas. Not ideal but after Mike's eloquent review thus far, it must be worth buying!

Ta

Kevin

As Ralph says its a custom viewer (created with Macromedia Flash 7).

The jpg files are apparently low resolution when viewed individually - you need to use the viewer to view any reasonable definition.

IanW

I agree it would be magnificent but I have my doubts that the panoramas would blow up satisfactorily to such a scale.

Regards

Mike

After so many endorsements in one day I am going to have to buy this book NOW. Is there much on Nieuport, High Wood or Loos?

Mike

Oh thanks a bunch you lot!!!!!

Just when I thought that I had my Great War book buying under control at last you give this one such a good write up, meaning that I am about to reach for the credit card again!

How do I explain yet another one to my dear wife?

Answers on a postcard please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Scottie.

Is there much on Nieuport, High Wood or Loos?

Mike

Mike

Not areas I am familiar with so can't offer much other than the following.

There is a chapter of about 13 pages called 'The Race to the Sea' with 10 panoramas in which Nieuport is mentioned 9 times.

High Wood rates one page with one smallish panorama.

Loos is covered in a chapter of about 33 pages called 'The Gohelle Battlefields'. This includes 19 panoramas of which 3 mention Loos.

If you would like more detail then send a pm and I will copy out the details of the panoramas for you.

Regards

John

After so many endorsements in one day I am going to have to buy this book NOW. Is there much on Nieuport, High Wood or Loos?

Mike

To confirm what John S wrote Loos and Nieuport are certainly covered - High Wood less so. This is my impression not only of the book but of the CD Roms as well.

Having said that i have only dipped a toe (or two) in to the water today. There is a lot to enjoy.

The only drawback I have found so far is that is literally "a weighty tome".

I won't be reading it on the tube - thats for sure!

Mike

Guest belgiumpoppies

I've just bought it today (I must stop buying First World War books) - its fantastic but quite expensive. It was advertised in the Waterstones quarterly magazine...Lots to take in

Having finally managed to put the CD's away and do some reading, 100 pages so far, I must say that it is a very good book. All in all I am very pleased.

Andy

Well after reading all about it here, I was forced to felx the plastic via Amazon, What a gem, the CDs alone are worth the £35. It really makes up for the disapointment of the Bradford Pals Book.

Now I wonder if I can stich the individual pictures together to print them, Watch this space

JOhn