Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Kosovo soldier's service history required

michaeldr

A new member 'burimselmani94' is seeking details of his great-grandfather's service in the Ottoman Army. Yesterday he posted the following (see https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/295570-finding-my-great-grandfather)

Hi everyone, my great grandfather was solider in WWI under the ottoman army, he never came back home and we never have any information about him, can somebody help me where can I look for archives or other groups that hunt/find information's like the one I'm looking.

&

..his name was Nuhi, he was born in Cernice-Kosovo, we don't know exactly his birthday but he might be 1880-1885. He was with regiment of Kosovo that were recruited by the ottomans, some said that they were recruited from the Ottomans then to fight for the Bulgarians but I don't know for sure. My great grandfather join the army with his two other brothers Salih who served in Yemen he was returned home, and Muharem the other brother who didn't came home. Nuh and Muharem were in Turkey some elders said that they send to fight the Armenians or Russians but we don't have anything for sure. The names might not be so correct because of education.

Can any of our Turkish members offer information here to help burimselmani?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Also to add now we have surname "Selmani" but Selman was the father of Nuhi, We don't know if they were written under this surname or "Purici" might be as well, but not for sure.

Mate,

I hope you get an Turkish historian here, but from what I can find, looking for a Ottoman soldiers its almost impossible.

That said the Balkan's had been lost to the Ottoman Empire by 1914 (last war was in 1913).

But soldiers and officers were from these lost areas, including the future Ataturk.

So what Regt he was in, is hard to establish

Ottoman Regiments were raised in areas, but in the 1914 record, none are shown from the Balkan areas (I can find)?

There was a number rasied in Edirne Thrace (western Turkey) mainly the Regts of the 2nd Corps including (16th 17th & 18th) of the 5th Infantry Div and from the 4th Div Div (Regts 10th 11th and 12th).

But I am unsure if these were the newer Regts, when the Ottoman Army was reformed after the last Balkan War?

Sorry I'am not much help here

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

8 hours ago, stevebecker said:

Mate,

I hope you get an Turkish historian here, but from what I can find, looking for a Ottoman soldiers its almost impossible.

That said the Balkan's had been lost to the Ottoman Empire by 1914 (last war was in 1913).

But soldiers and officers were from these lost areas, including the future Ataturk.

So what Regt he was in, is hard to establish

Ottoman Regiments were raised in areas, but in the 1914 record, none are shown from the Balkan areas (I can find)?

There was a number rasied in Edirne Thrace (western Turkey) mainly the Regts of the 2nd Corps including (16th 17th & 18th) of the 5th Infantry Div and from the 4th Div Div (Regts 10th 11th and 12th).

But I am unsure if these were the newer Regts, when the Ottoman Army was reformed after the last Balkan War?

Sorry I'am not much help here

S.B

I can confrim that they were fighting for Ottomans, the returend brother Salih he was the one who confirmed that they were all send to fight for the Ottomans, they were recruited around the 1917. 

This the respond from one of professors of Ottomans, can somebody help me with the translation? I don’t know the Turkish and need some help, this looks like a very promising path.

8248E000-7306-4467-9E84-56D3C8330611.png

I had a go on the Turkish site and came up with these:

TR Identity Number: -
Registration Number: -
Name: KAMIL
Surname: -
Nickname: -
Father's Name: NUH
Mother name:     -
Date of birth:     -
Hometown: KOSOVO SENICE
War: WWII (1914-1918)
History:     -
Troop: 10th Regiment 4th Battalion 14th Squadron
Class: Infantry

Name: ISA
Father Name: NUH
Hometown: KOSOVO PRIZREN
Warfare: WORLD WAR ONE (1914-1918)
Troop: 6 corps 45 Regiment 3rd Battalion 9th Squadron
Class:     -

Name: ABDI
Father's Name: MUHARREM
Hometown: KOSOVO KOMANOVA
Troop: 6 Corps, 56 Regiment, 2nd Battalion, 10th Squadron

Name: ABDURRAHMAN
Hometown: KOSOVO SKOPJE
Troop: 62nd Regiment 1st Battalion 3rd Squadron

I tried loads of combinations but no others came out and I am not saying any are who you are looking for as it is difficult to see how the names work. Interrestingly I worked around Komanovo and Skopje a few years ago-very nice area.

All the best

Dom.

55 minutes ago, domsim said:

I had a go on the Turkish site and came up with these:

Name: KAMIL
Father's Name: NUH
Hometown: KOSOVO SENICE
War: WWII (1914-1918)
Troop: 10th Regiment 4th Battalion 14th Squadron
Class: Infantry

Name: ISA
Hometown: KOSOVO PRIZREN
Troop: 6 corps 45 Regiment 3rd Battalion 9th Squadron

Name: ABDI
Father's Name: MUHARREM
Hometown: KOSOVO KOMANOVA
Troop: 6 Corps, 56 Regiment, 2nd Battalion, 10th Squadron

Name: ABDURRAHMAN
Hometown: KOSOVO SKOPJE
Troop: 62nd Regiment 1st Battalion 3rd Squadron

I tried loads of combinations but no others came out and I am not saying any are who you are looking for as it is difficult to see how the names work. Interrestingly I worked around Komanovo and Skopje a few years ago-very nice area.

All the best

Dom.

Dom in which page you found this? Can you send me link. In that link I posted in older posts I cannot find anything always the result is null.

• 2 weeks later...

Mate,

I was looking at something you wrote "they were recruited from the Ottomans then to fight for the Bulgarians".

We know a number of Ottoman Regts were sent to help the Bulgars during the war, including units of the 20th Corps and the 177th Regt, which stayed there for some time.

Now these Regts of the 20th Corps (46th Div (144th 145th and 146th Regts and 50th Div (156th 157th & 158th Regts) 

Were new Regts raised during the war, but I am unsure of where or who they were formed from.

It was Ottoman practice the raise a unit from already formed regts, by taking a Bn or more from another Regt or Regts.

The 177th Regt was already formed at the start of the war, and served as an inderpendant unit for the war.

I am sorry but I don't record where any of these Regts were rasied?

S.B