Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding my great grandfather

burimselmani94

Hi everyone, my great grandfather was solider in WWI under the ottoman army, he never came back home and we never have any information about him, can somebody help me where can I look for archives or other groups that hunt/find information's like the one I'm looking.

8 minutes ago, burimselmani94 said:

Hi everyone, my great grandfather was solider in WWI under the ottoman army, he never came back home and we never have any information about him, can somebody help me where can I look for archives or other groups that hunt/find information's like the one I'm looking.

Hello Burim, we spoke on the other group, welcome to the forum. I’m hoping there will be one of our very knowledgeable members that can point you in the right direction. It maybe a good idea if you were to add your Great Grandfathers details, name, date of birth, where born. I wish you the best of luck. Gunner 87.

Edited by Gunner 87

Yes you friend, his name was Nuhi, he was born in Cernice-Kosovo, we don't know exactly his birthday but he might be 1880-1885. He was with regiment of Kosovo that were recruited by the ottomans, some said that they were recruited from the Ottomans then to fight for the Bulgarians but I don't know for sure. My great grandfather join the army with his two other brothers Salih who served in Yemen he was returned home, and Muharem the other brother who didn't came home. Nuh and Muharem were in Turkey some elders said that they send to fight the Armenians or Russians but we don't have anything for sure. The names might not be so correct because of education. 

1 hour ago, burimselmani94 said:

Yes you friend, his name was Nuhi, he was born in Cernice-Kosovo, we don't know exactly his birthday but he might be 1880-1885. He was with regiment of Kosovo that were recruited by the ottomans, some said that they were recruited from the Ottomans then to fight for the Bulgarians but I don't know for sure. My great grandfather join the army with his two other brothers Salih who served in Yemen he was returned home, and Muharem the other brother who didn't came home. Nuh and Muharem were in Turkey some elders said that they send to fight the Armenians or Russians but we don't have anything for sure. The names might not be so correct because of education. 

The following members are very knowledgeable on German records and as such I have tagged them in the hope they maybe able to assist or point you in the right direction.

@AOK4

@knittinganddeath

@The Prussian

@egbert

@GreyC

Edited by Gunner 87

Also to add now we have surname "Selmani" but Selmani was the father of Nuhi, We don't know if they were written under this surname or "Purici" might be as well, but not for sure.

@michaeldr also has excellent Ottoman Forces knowledge and might be able to help.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks @Gunner 87 for the shoutout but unfortunately I can't help here, Ottomans are a bit beyond my purview.

@burimselmani94 You could check the Red Cross POW archives for your great-grandfather and other missing soldiers: https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/

Edited by knittinganddeath

41 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

Thanks @Gunner 87 for the shoutout but unfortunately I can't help here, Ottomans are a bit beyond my purview.

@burimselmani94 You could check the Red Cross POW archives for your great-grandfather and other missing soldiers: https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/

Thanks, very helpful page but I searched all options but couldn't find anything, maybe because its for prisoners he might never got prisoned. I send them email just to be sure if they might help me something. 

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

@michaeldr also has excellent Ottoman Forces knowledge and might be able to help

I'm very sorry to disappoint here, but such resources as I have do not stretch to identifying individual soldiers or their records. Good luck with this

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

I'm very sorry to disappoint here, but such resources as I have do not stretch to identifying individual soldiers or their records. Good luck with this

I was thinking more that you might know something (anything) of the Kosovo regiment that was mentioned, Michael.

Following Frogsmile's suggestion I have had another look at this:

Quote - some said that they were recruited from the Ottomans then to fight for the Bulgarians

This opens the question as to which war was he recruited for and fought in, as Turkey fought the Bulgarians in the First Balkan War (October 1912 to May 1913) and in the Second Balkan War of June-August 1913.

If we are talking about the First World War (also known as the Great War) then at first glance, I see on pages 199 of THE GALLIPOLI CAMPAIGN – The Turkish Perspective edited by Major (Ret.) Metin Gürcan & Dr Robert Johnson

The Ottoman 6th Army was a demographic mirror of the empire in terms of the manpower it mobilised. The Balkan Muslims fought in eight ‘Kosovo battalions’, losing 214 men. … … …

If this suggestion that the Kosovo battalions were part of the Sixth Army is correct (?) then the following may be of use. Edward Erickson in his book 'Ordered to Die' gives the Ottoman Sixth Army as:-

- August 1914 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XII Corps: 35, 36 Inf. Div. XIII Corps: 37 Inf. Div.

- Late April 1915 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army 35 Inf. Div. Provisional Inf. Div.

- Late Summer 1915 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 35, 38 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: 45 Inf. Div.

- January 1916 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 35, 52 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: 45, 51 Inf. Div.

- August 1916 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 2, 4, 6 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: 55, 45, 51, 52 Inf. Div.

- December 1916 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 2, 4, 6 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: 45, 51, 52 Inf. Div.

- August 1917 - MESOPOTAMIA – Sixth Army XIII Corps: 2, 6 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: 14, 51, 52, 46 Inf. Div.

- January 1918 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 2, 6 Div. XVIII Corps: 14, 51, 52 Inf. Div. 46 Inf. Div.

- September 1918 – MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 2, 6 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: 14, 46 Inf. Div

You will note that over time, the Sixth Army's infantry divisions changed, raising the question as to whether the Kosovo battalions remained with the Sixth Army throughout or not.

I would be much happier if one of our Turkish experts had some input here and I suggest that either 'burimselmani94' or perhaps a Moderator, open a thread on this question in our 'Middle East & North Africa' section where their attention may be gained.

Michael

Edited by michaeldr
Correction to last line as 'Other Theatres' has now been renamed

47 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

Following Frogsmile's suggestion I have had another look at this:

Quote - some said that they were recruited from the Ottomans then to fight for the Bulgarians

This opens the question as to which war was he recruited for and fought in, as Turkey fought the Bulgarians in the First Balkan War (October 1912 to May 1913) and in the Second Balkan War of June-August 1913.

If we are talking about the First World War (also known as the Great War) then at first glance, I see on pages 199 of THE GALLIPOLI CAMPAIGN – The Turkish Perspective edited by Major (Ret.) Metin Gürcan & Dr Robert Johnson

The Ottoman 6th Army was a demographic mirror of the empire in terms of the manpower it mobilised. The Balkan Muslims fought in eight ‘Kosovo battalions’, losing 214 men. … … …

If this suggestion that the Kosovo battalions were part of the Sixth Army is correct (?) then the following may be of use. Edward Erickson in his book 'Ordered to Die' gives the Ottoman Sixth Army as:-

- August 1914 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XII Corps: 35, 36 Inf. Div. XIII Corps: 37 Inf. Div.

- Late April 1915 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army 35 Inf. Div. Provisional Inf. Div.

- Late Summer 1915 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 35, 38 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: 45 Inf. Div.

- January 1916 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 35, 52 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: 45, 5J_ Inf. Div.

- August 1916 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 2, 4, 6 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: 55, 45, 51, 52 Inf. Div.

- December 1916 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 2, 4, 6 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: 45, 51, 52 Inf. Div.

- August 1917 - MESOPOTAMIA – Sixth Army XIII Corps: 2, 6 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: M, 51,52 Inf. Div. 46 Inf. Div.

- January 1918 - MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 2, 6 Div. XVIII Corps: 14, 51, 52 Inf. Div. 46 Inf. Div.

- September 1918 – MESOPOTAMIA - Sixth Army XIII Corps: 2, 6 Inf. Div. XVIII Corps: 14, 46 Inf. Div

You will note that over time, the Sixth Army's infantry divisions changed, raising the question as to whether the Kosovo battalions remained with the Sixth Army throughout or not.

I would be much happier if one of our Turkish experts had some input here and I suggest that either 'burimselmani94' or perhaps a Moderator, open a thread on this question in our 'Middle East & North Africa' section where their attention may be gained.

Michael

Thank you Michael for all this useful information I will take notes from your post, can you suggest me what to write to the threat in Middle East & North Africa or should I simply copy my questions, also about the part of Balkan Wars I'm sure he didn't attend the Balkan wars because the Salih his brother that came home he was also in great war so all of 3 brothers were at Great War.

53 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

It has now been taken care of - please see your new thread here 

My best wishes for the success of your researches

Michael

Brilliant stuff Michael, I sensed that you might well be able to help with this relatively obscure aspect of the war.  The Ottoman and Austro Hungarian empires have always been of interest I think, not least because of the Balkans reputation as the “tinderbox of Europe”.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello. I have just sent you a personal message.

Unless he's an officer, you have very little chance to track his service. However, it is true that the Ottoman units fought on Eastern European fronts during WWI were reinforced with local Muslim volunteers. On Salonika/Macedonian Front, the fourth battalions of the regiments of 46th and 50th Infantry Divisions were formed from the local volunteers (this work was carried out mainly by 16th Depot Regiment located at Vranje). It is highly possible that your grandfather was a part of one of these units.

Ottoman Rumeli Detachment (177th Regiment) fighting in the area between the lakes Ohrid and Prespa was also reinforced with local men from nearby regions.

Edited by emrezmen
Corrections

11 minutes ago, emrezmen said:

Hello. I have just sent you a personal message.

Unless he's an officer, you have very little chance to track his service. However, it is true that the Ottoman units fought on Eastern European fronts during the WWI were reinforced with local Muslim volunteers. On Salonika/Macedonian Front, the fourth battalions of the regiments of 46th and 50th Infantry Divisions were formed from the local volunteers (this work was mainly carried out by 16th Depot Regiment located at Vranje). It is highly possible that your grandfather was a part of one of these units.

Ottoman Rumeli Detachment (177th Regiment) fighting in the area between the lakes Ohrid and Prespa was also reinforced with local men from nearby regions.

Vranje its so close with my city so I also think he might was registred in Vranje Depot Regiment.

22 hours ago, burimselmani94 said:

Nuh and Muharem were in Turkey some elders said that they send to fight the Armenians or Russians but we don't have anything for sure.

One more thing I should note is that if they were really sent to Turkey, it's almost certain that they fought on the Turkish Eastern Front (better known as Caucasus Front). But as I said, unless they're officers, it's pretty much like looking for a needle in a haystack.

6 minutes ago, emrezmen said:

One more thing I should note is that if they were really sent to Turkey, it's almost certain that they fought on the Turkish Eastern Front (better known as Caucasus Front). But as I said, unless they're officers, it's pretty much like looking for a needle in a haystack.

His brother Muharem was with some military grades, but because of education none of elders know what he was, maybe he finished the army academy or something similar.

5 hours ago, michaeldr said:

It has now been taken care of - please see your new thread here 

My best wishes for the success of your researches

Michael

Michael, thank you for your time and expert advice. I hoped, when recommending the forum, a member would have expertise in this field. Kind regards Gunner 87.