Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for family medals/info

Chris P

Found Frederick Snr on the 1871 Census as a 13 year old. Listed as Freddy Polentine in Chesterton, born Cambridge, boarding with a Brickmaker, so he may have been an apprentice to him. Unfortunately that means his father could be anyone...

Anyway, another soldier from your extras list:

From http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike.briggs76...20Battalion.htm

Pollindine, Herbert.

Lance Corporal, 11055, 2nd Btn., d o w 27/09/1916

b. Whittington; e. Chesterfield; r. Stanton.

ST SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN – B. 23. 73

Bushes Memorial, nr Old Whittington.

'Sapper H. Pollendine, Sherwood Foresters, who made his home with his uncle, Mr Hullyer, 45 Fowler Street, Old Whittington, died on September 27th, at Rouen, of wounds received in action.'

[Derbyshire Times, Saturday, October 7th 1916]

Harry Pollindine had served as a Regular in the Sherwood Foresters for over 8 years and on the outbreak of the War he was recalled from India and drafted to France. In December 1914 he was wounded in the right arm and following a period of convalescence he returned to the Front in March 1915, where he served until mortally wounded during the attack on the Quadrilateral.

Medal Cards x 2

Pollindine, Herbert

Notts & Derby Regiment,

Private

And;

Pollidine, Herbert (no middle “n”)

Notts & Derby Regiment,

Private

CWGC

Pollindine, H

Lance Corporal

27/9/1916

Sherwood Foresters

(Notts and Derby Regiment)

St. Sever Cemetery, Rouen, B.23.73

Looks like he might have been a relative of Edgar Pollendine, since Edgar was living in Whittington on the 1901 Census.

Steve.

Hi Chris,

The Cambs Rgt information comes from about 20+ years research, in local newspapers of the war and afterwards, Public Records Office etc. The local papers often listed the recruits, sometimes with details such as age, address, occupation etc.

Thanks for the additional info about Bert.

Here's what I have on Alfred

Alfred Ernest Stanhope, 2423 & 325716, Landbeach. Enlisted September 1914 & placed in the Cambridge squad of recruits.

There was also an E R Stanhope 2424. Placed in Cambridge squad of recruits 9/14. (consecutive numbers so was he a brother?)

From 1901 Census

Alfred Stanhope, age 6, Resident Landbeach, born Waterbeach, Cambs., living with grandfather Editt Fromant (60) and Sarah A Fromant (55).

Edward Stanhope, age 5, Resident Waterbeach, born Landbeach, living with Grandmother Elizabeth Stanhope (70) and Elizabeth's daughter, Clara Berney (45)

Also born Landbeach,

Clara Stanhope (3), who is listed with Ernest J Stanhope (33), Georgina Stanhope (30),Sidney W Stanhope (2), Harold Stanhope (11 months) and (another) Clara Stanhope (11 days, as of 31.3.1901, ie born 20.3.1901). All living in Cambridge.

There is also a nurse listed. Could this have been a reason why Alfred and Edward were with grandparents?

There are a few others in Landbeach/Waterbeach, which I assume are next to each other?

Steve

Chris

Just as an aside, the 2001 census shows that in England & Wales there were 110 people with surname POLLENDINE, ranking it 31,200th, there were 56 POLLENTINE, ranking them 47,415th and 41 POLLINTINE, the 54,456th most popular surname.

I couldn't find any other variations.

Thanks Steve for that additional info on the Stanhope side.........Most appreciated again! I daren't start down that road yet though!

And Cliff......thanks! I know little about either of my grandad's service, so all info very welcome. Enclosed a pic I have of the Cambs Regt 1915....You may already have this one, but if you would like a full size copy (it's about 12" x 4") let me know, I'll send you one.........

Thanks to all for your replies so far!

Chris P.

Might work this time!!

cr.BMP