Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for family medals/info

Chris P

Hello all.........Although my main interest is militaria, I've made attempts to find more about family members who served ;POLLENDINE, occasionally spelt with one L......Mostly from Cambridgeshire, although all related. My grandfather & his eight brothers all served in the army in WW1. All survived, miraculously, albeit with various injuries. Having searched the medal cards at Kew, I could only find three of them, one being my grandfather, Bertram, Cambs regt. I am particularly interested to research my GT uncle Charles. He was a regular before the war, in a Guards regt, not sure which. He served on until well after the war finished, leaving the army to become a policeman in Bermuda. Likewise, his brother, John (Jack), another regular, 9135 WY. again he served c.1907 to 1941, although probably with a gap in the middle! I would like to find when they joined, & details of service. A nice easy name....but little I can find!

It goes without saying, any knowledge of the whereabouts of any medals greatfully received. I know at least one brother refused his, another threw them away. My grandfathers were 'lost' by my father playing marbles in the thirties! those were the days. Maybe they are out there somewhere.

Thanks for reading,

Chris P.

Hi Max.......Thanks! That's one I do have........And his medals, but they are the only ones I do have...Curiously, when I went to KEW, I printed off several. Having looked for the same ones again, on line, I find them not there......anyone else have that problem?

I found one Pollendine on the CWG site......so I have him also.

Thanks again.

Chris P.

Medal card of Pollendine, J

Corps: Royal Engineers

Regiment No: 55893

1914-1920 WO 372/23

Medal card of Pollentine, S F

Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps

Regiment No: 1416

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollentine, Leonard H H

Corps: Devonshire Regiment

Regiment No: 68231

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollentine, George Robert

Corps: Royal Horse Artillery

Regiment No: 95253

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollentine, Gerald

Corps: Royal Artillery

Regiment No: 40987

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollentine, Edward F

Regiment No: 1416

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollentine, Arthur S

Corps: Hampshire Regiment

Regiment No: 355481

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, William H

Corps: Royal Sussex Regiment

Regiment No: 4045

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Corps: Army Service Corps

Regiment No: M/295583

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, William

Regiment No: 935

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, Orace W

Corps: Yorkshire Regiment

Regiment No: 33418

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, John

Corps: West Yorkshire Regiment

Regiment No: 9135

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, James

Regiment No: 55893

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, Harry

Regiment No: 84504

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, Francis W

Regiment No: 194081

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, Frederick

Corps: North Staffordshire Regiment

Regiment No: 64892

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, Edgar

Corps: Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment

Regiment No: 22081

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, Charles H

Corps: Yorkshire Light Infantry

Regiment No: 29354

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, Charles

Corps: Royal Field Artillery

Regiment No: 54994

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Medal card of Pollendine, Bertram

Corps: Cambridgeshire Regiment

Regiment No: 326606

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Big Family as you said.

Roop

Thanks Roop! That's given me a good evenings work! There are a few there that I didn't know......Now to try & place them in the family tree.

Appreciate your response, thanks again.

Could anyone find out anything for me on one or two not listed above?

Fred Pollendine, Norfolk Regt, Enlisted June 5th 1918, DOW Oct 28th.

L/Corp Herbert Pollendine Enl 1898, DOW 1916, Sherwoods, 11055.

WH Pollendine 295583 RASC, who is listed above.

These details are from newspaper cuttings I have, but this is all I know about them.

Thanks! Chris.P.

The 1901 Census has the following Pollendines at Coldham Lane, Christchurch, St Andrew the Less, Cambridge : Charles (17), Harry (15), John (13), Percy (9), Bertie (5) and Sidney (3) with sister Ada (8) and father Frederick (42) and mother Elizabeth (42). This should hopefully give people something to work with...

Bertram Pollendine's birth was registered in the June Qtr 1896, Cambridge, 3b-485

Charles SYDNEY Pollendine's birth was registered Sep 1883, Cambridge, 3b-468

Are these the right ones?

Hope this helps.

Steve Beeby

PS I can also access the earlier Censuses if you are interested and find the others DoBs if you want.

And the elder brothers from the 1891 Census - Frederick Jnr. (11, would be 21 in 1901) and William (9, would be 19). Percy (though mispelt Perry on 1891 Census) was 8 months at April 1891 when the Census occured.

That makes 8 brothers I think. If Frederick and especially Elizabeth tried hard enough in 1901 then there could easily have been a 9th brother just about old enough by 1918?

I do have some more info, but I'll wait until you confirm the names and if you want the stuff posting (DoBs, 1871 & 1881 census)

Phew! :blink:

Steve Beeby

Steve! That's brilliant.......Just the right ones......Bertie is my grandad, all the others are my GT uncles. Charles was in a guards regt, but I can find no details anywhere......I'm told this is probably because he was a regular, & info was not released? Percy I know was wounded, & ended up with a gammy leg, likewise no records found. Same for Sid.....he got a payment, or pension of some kind when he left the army, enough to start his own business, but can find nothing.

Incidentally, Percy's middle name was William, Williams was Percy. Charles Sidney, Sidney Charles, I'm told.....Obviously after 9 kids they were running out of ideas! I don't know the name of the missing ninth.....He could already be in the Medal slips above for all I know.

Anything from the earlier censuses would be very much appreciated. Many thanks for your time!

Chris.P.

Right, then.

Births

Sidney Pollendine b March Qtr 1898, Cambridge, 3b-492

Elizabeth Ada Pollendine b June Qtr 1893, Cambridge, 3b-487

Frederick William Pollendine b Sep Qtr 1879, Cambridge, 3b-490

Harry Pollendine b Sep Qtr 1885, Cambridge, 3b-472

Can't find John or William. Please bear in mind that although these fit by date and location, the only real proof is the birth certificates themselves. :P

Marriages

Frederick Pollendine (Snr), June 1879, 3b-772, to Elizabeth Layton.

Harry Pollendine Sep Qtr 1910, 3b-1103, to either Alice Stokes or Ellen Deards (2 marriages on same page of register)

There is also a Percy Joseph Pollendine born Sep Qtr (ie. Jul,Aug or Sep) 1890, Cambridge, 3b-466 (which fits in all but middle name). Could be?

1891 Census

17 Coldham Lane, Cambridge

Fred (33, born Chesterton, Cambs), Elizabeth (32, born Cherry Hinton, Cambs), Charles (7), Frederick (11), Harry (5), John (2), Percy (8 months), William (9), all children born Cambridge.

1881 Census

17 Coldham Lane, Cambridge

Fred (23), Elizabeth (22), Frederick (1), places of birth as above.

1871 - Can't find any Pollendines or variants in Chesterton. Sorry... :(

Is that ok?

Steve Beeby

Thanks Steve..........most useful.......I'm going to have to print all this off & try & 'tree' it.......Interesting that no older relatives show up.......I know part of the family lived in Bottisham, cambs, & some in the Newmarket area......Westley Waterless........My 'branch' all seemed to have congregated in Cambridge. Funnily enough, I searched on the web & found someone who had traced the Pollendine side of their family from 1700 ish, up to about 1830, then theirs went off at a tangent.....so they stopped the Pollendine bit there....I'm missing the bits in the middle now to try & link up! I'll still have to try & link all this up with military records also!

I'm yet to trace the other side yet which includes a VC winner who had his medal taken back for bigamy!! I wouldn't know where to start.

Many thanks, & in advance for the next install.

There is a free site with a lot of earlier ancestors compiled by the Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) of all people! It is at www.FamilySearch.org. The 1881 Census is free, and the 'IGI' and 'Ancestral Files' are all useful.

The Pollendines seem to go back to the early 1700s with a lot in Bottisham as you said. It automatically searches name variants, as well. Have fun!

Frederick Seniors wife, Elizabeth Layton, 1871 Census, 15 Coldhams Lane, Cambridge. It seems your branch went to off to Cambridge when Fred married Elizabeth... and moved in next door!

Elizabeth Layton, Head of family, Grandmother of Elizabeth, age 70, b abt. 1800, Whittleford. Occupation : "Keeper of Coldham's Gate" !! :o

(Died March qtr 1898, age 97, Cambridge, 3b-316)

Elizabeth Layton, Granddaughter, age 12, born Cherry Hinton.

William Layton, Grandson, age 6, Born Cherry Hinton.

:unsure: Just realised. Sorry to Hijack the thread folks. Lets get back to the soldiers. Chris. PM me if you want me to look for more.

Big apologies to everybody else!!

Thanks!! You are a star.......I've got plenty to get on with!

Now just need to find the medals!

Chris.P.

Chris. I've edited the post above since you read it. Please re-read. No trouble. Just "buy" me a virtual beer!

As promised, back to the soldiers.

Corps: Army Service Corps

Regiment No: M/295583

1914-1920 WO 372/16

(Per Roop)

Per CWGC

William Henry Pollendine, M2/295583, 4th Water Tank Coy. Army Service Corps

Died 15-9-1918, age 19.

Son of Henry and Sarah Pollendine, of 146, Sedgwick St., Cambridge.

Henry Arthur Pollendine was born in India, about 1873 (as was his brother Francis W, about 1875). Sarah Pollendine was nee Sarah Jane Hurry of Cherry Hinton, married Sep Qtr 1896. Henry, Sarah, William and Francis were at 30 Catherine Street, Cambridge in 1901.

It's probable that the Francis W, Uncle of William is this one:

Medal card of Pollendine, Francis W

Regiment No: 194081

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Likely to be unrelated?

Steve.

Hi Steve......thanks for the latest info......a few pints on their way.....virtually!, Seriously, if I can do anything in return, only too willing!

All the Sedgewick St lot are related......Indeed, all the Pollendines in the country......There were only about 70 countrywide I believe in the 1901 census, in 3 locations.....Cornwall, where we all came from in late 1600's, Cambs, & Derbyshire. As I said, I have early details, from when we all branched out....

I believed Henry Arthur was Fred seniors bro.....but not sure.now! My dad remembers all these as a kid in the early 20's......but they died mostly when he was young, and his memories not what it was. I certainly remember my grandad & 3 or 4 of his bros myself. I could do with finding Henry Arthurs father to see who he was......I should think he was in the army with kids born in India. I do know that most of the family in the 19th century were army men, but these are the missing bits! I'm going to lay all this lot out on the floor tonight, and try & get the big picture!

Many thanks again!!!

Hi, Chris

Bad penny back again.

Found William and Fred on 1901 Census.

William was a boarder up the road at No.5 with Edward & Susannah Collins. He was a gas works labourer.

Frederick was a boarder with Tom & Eliza Hipwood at 73 Wellington Street, Burton-on-Trent. He was was a railway engine stoker aka fireman.

Burton-on-Trent is of course in North Staffordshire which could make this boy a strong favourite for your family:

(As found by Roop)

Medal card of Pollendine, Frederick

Corps: North Staffordshire Regiment

Regiment No: 64892

1914-1920 WO 372/16

Cheers for the "virtual beer"

Steve

Curses! Foiled again...

The Frederick Pollendine in the North Staffs. is the same one as you were asking about in the Norfolk regiment:

North Staffs number 64892 & 9th Battalion Norfolk Regt. Number 42528 as list at CWGC. Bearing in mind that he died in 1918 that excludes him from being a brother since you said they all survived..

Never mind. 2 off the list in one go!

Steve.

Hi Steve.......I've Just got very confused! You found a William Henry Pollendine 146 Sedgewick ST, DOW 1918, aged 19. I've just found in an old pile of papers here,All the service docs for William henry, same address, 23rd Bat Middlesex, no 2170. Enl 30 Oct 15, age 19! So, two With the same name, living at the same address, one died, one lived,(discharged 1919). different regt & nos! That beats me!

Luckily, I also found William Percy's papers. He lost an eye & was invalided out in 1916...Pte 046141RAOC, RFA 170565, 640866 RH & RFA.....He is one of the Bros., so I have now service details of 3 out of nine!

Worth noting though that neither of the two Williams above are the same ones in the MICs we know of!

So, two With the same name, living at the same address, one died, one lived,(discharged 1919). different regt & nos! That beats me!

They could well be cousins....just a thought.

Andy

Steve....

And I've just worked out that there is only one of the Mic's we have who could still be a brother, & that's the one for Harry.......

Just a thought....Fred senior married in 1879......Fred junior born 1879......If he married & had another Fred........he'd be the right age for the Fred KIA.....Fred junior had disappeared off the Cambridge are by the 1901 census.....could he have gone to Burton on Trent....? It would fit.

Thanks again! Chris.

The 1879 Fred in Burton was listed on 1901 Census as born in Chesterton, Cambs. He's definitely our man... It's just a matter of whether he was the one who join the Staffs. He was single according to the Census...

Steve

My interest is the Cambs Rgt, so here's a bit about Bert...

Bert Pollendine, 326606. Enlisted, aged 19, labourer, 9 Henley Rd, Cambridge. Enlisted August 1915. wounded November 1917 (War Office Official List of 12-12-17).

Hi Steve........I think I'll test my Dad's memory a bit tonight.....I'm beginning to think that Fred KIA must be the one...... If service records & mics are missing, what other sources can I look for? .Thanks again.

And Cliff, thanks for joining in......Yes, that's my grandad......he died in 74, aged 79.....but I was old enough to pester him about the war! I can add that he was gassed, & was sent home for recuperation.....On his return, he was declared unfit for front line duties, & transferred to the Labour Corp.......which I believe was quite common. I'd be keen to know where you got the info.....& do you have more!

My other grandad was also in the cambs regt........the two actually fought together, 30 years before my parents met........He was Alfred Stanhope 2423, changed to 325716. Can you tell me anything about him? Thanks!!! Chris.