Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain D S W Hambly

thedawnpatrol

Not sure if I posted the bit on Harrow Grammar.  Think this is a piece I posted to Harrow Grammar old boys and someone has found it and posted it on dawnpatrol.  I'm not very technical so be patient.

I see lots of posts about my family and will add a few corrections.

DSW Hambly First wife, Katherine (Kitty) mother of Phyllis

DSW Hambly and Emily Caroline Davies had 2 boys, Donald Montague my grandfather and Nigel who died as a baby.  Christened after Nigel in the book The White Company.

The Census return regarding my great Aunt Phyllis (1/2 sister of my grandfather Donald Montgue) staying with the Cloggs.  The Cloggs were family. The Cloggs, Squires and Hamblys all came from Cornwall.  

See also a recent book The Best in Sound and Form and Hue, John Squire, Musicain and Artist (1833-1909) by John Hugh Thomas pub 2021.  As this is not war stuff probably not of interest.

I am happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability.  I have also learnt a few things from this blog.

I have to say I felt a bit choked seeing my grandfather's log book.  I spent part of my childhood growing up with my grandparents and was very close to them.

I do have a 'regimental' type photo of my grandfather in the RNAS which is in a box somewhere.  I'm happy to copy this to anyone who wants to see it along with photo of my great grandfather.  Is it possible that my grandfather Donald Montague was in the RNAS, RFC and RAF.  I also have a photograph of Great grandfather DSW Hambly 2nd South Middx, Volunteer Rifle Corps I think.  This is written on back of photo by my grandfather.

Hope you can unravel this.

with best wishes

Caroline Kernan