Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chaplain Warner

stevenbecker

Mates,

I wonder what you have on this man?

I show him burying a number of soldiers from the 2nd ALHR off Anzac in May 1915, but accounts give him on two ships?

Some show him on the HMS London or the HS Gascon

NORTON    William Thomas    366    Pte    02 LHR    B Sqn WIA 19-6-15 head shot reported 5 wounded this day at Popes post (G) DoW 19-6-15 at sea died fractured skull on HS "Gascon" buried at sea by Chaplain Warner 3 miles off Gaba Tepe NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli 

ROBERTSON    Gordon Holmes    378    Pte    02 LHR    B Sqn WIA 12-5-15 abdomen shot reported in war diary that four were wounded during the landing at Gape Tepe (G) DoW 13-5-15 at sea * died on HS "Gascon" reported buried at sea by chaplain Warner from HMS London 3 miles off Gaba Tepe NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli  brother James Brig Gen 9Bn CB CMG DSO

Any ideas

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Steve,

From my 8th LH records I have the Reverend Lee Warner officiating at two burials at Sea from the HMHS "Gascon".

Tpr J Jarvey No. 500, 8th L H MGS. DOW 31st May, buried at Sea 3 miles off Gaba Tepe by the Rev Warner.

Tpr H Croucher No. 814, "A" Sqdn, 8th LH, DOW 19th June, buried at Sea 3 miles off Gaba Tepe, Ditto.

The only other reference to a burial at Sea from the HMHS "Gascon" I have is dated 9/8/15, this by Captain C. Mayne, Chaplain, HS "Gascon".

My only thoughts to Your HS "London", 25/4/15 reference to the Reverend Warner, would seem to indicate that he was the Battleships Chaplain prior to the landing, joining the HS "Gascon" during the day of the landing.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Mates,

What about this Chaplain

WRAGGE    Clement Lionel Edgerton    647    Pte    02 LHR    1R tos C Sqn A Troop 2-15 WIA 16-5-15 abdomen & chest shot possibly on work parties or in reserve behind Quinns Post or WIA 14/15-5-15 R/wrist shot when 25 killed and 21 wounded in raid by C Sqn under Maj Graham at Quinns Post (G) died on HS "Gascon" buried at sea by chaplain from HMS Prince of Wales 16-5-15 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli AKA Clement Edgerton Wragge (British Queens Vol Rifles Edinburgh) father Clement FRGS a meteorologist Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
No name in the records, but a Chaplain off the POW on the HS Gascon, what Chaplain?

I notice Frev gives this man

(Rev H.D.L. Viener) during May 1915

So possibly answered my own question

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

1 hour ago, stevebecker said:

Viener

Rev h d l Viener was appointed to P.o.W. July 1913 then to Pembroke (Chatham barracks) Dec 1915.

In 1918 he was lent by the Navy to the RAF to reorganize their chaplains dept and became Chaplain in Chief, RAF.