Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Log Book collection

thedawnpatrol

18 hours ago, annieb22 said:

@thedawnpatrol If you ever come across log books for my husband's grandfather we would love to find them. We have desperately been looking for over 10 years. His name was C.N. Ellen. I have more on my website at: http://www.hibbitt.org.uk/ellen-gardner/wanted_c_n_ellen_militaria.html

He entered the RNAS (F4179) as a CPO in 1915 and gained a commission and went on to have a full career in the RAF. Retired in 1946 as Air Commodore Cyril Norman Ellen D.F.C. (03233).

Fingers crossed Annie!  That would be a wonderful find, would it not. 

All the best,

Peter.

Edited by pete-c

2 hours ago, pete-c said:

Fingers crossed Annie!  That would be a wonderful find, would it not. 

All the best,

Peter.

It really would. We have a book numbered Book 4 which begins around 1930 but would love to find the others.

I suspect @thedawnpatrol just wanted us to see what he had but not share it; he's been notably reluctant to provide further detail. @annieb22 have you contacted the RAF Museum? They have a massive collection of log books and are happy to share the resource.

1 hour ago, quemerford said:

I suspect @thedawnpatrol just wanted us to see what he had but not share it; he's been notably reluctant to provide further detail. @annieb22 have you contacted the RAF Museum? They have a massive collection of log books and are happy to share the resource.

Thanks for the suggestion @quemerford. I have taken your advice and emailed the RAF Museum. Will let you know what they say.

4 hours ago, quemerford said:

I'm not reluctant to share, I understand the importance of sharing such archives, but I just have not had time to list these with the additional information they deserve. Apart from a full time job, I'm also in the midst of an aeroplane restoration........

i will for fill the requests in due course 

12 hours ago, annieb22 said:

aeroplane restoration

What period?

18 hours ago, quemerford said:

RAF Museum? They have a massive collection of log books and are happy to share the resource

Have they published a catalogue?

4 hours ago, charlie962 said:

What period?

not for this forum................dare i say ........one of Sir Sidney Camm's greatest achievements .............

5 hours ago, charlie962 said:

What period?

If you email them your requirements they will send you a listing of what they have. It's very well catalogued.

5 minutes ago, quemerford said:

If you email them your requirements they will send you a listing of what they have. It's very well catalogued.

Thank you. I will do that. I take it the catalogue is not online though?

Charlie

On 18/01/2022 at 16:47, quemerford said:

@annieb22 have you contacted the RAF Museum? They have a massive collection of log books and are happy to share the resource.

@quemerford the RAF Museum got back to me but they didn't have the log books. I wasn't really expecting them to. I just hope they come to light one day. We recently missed out on reclaiming his dog tags on an Ebay auction so stuff is still circulating it seems.

7 hours ago, annieb22 said:

@quemerford the RAF Museum got back to me but they didn't have the log books. I wasn't really expecting them to. I just hope they come to light one day. We recently missed out on reclaiming his dog tags on an Ebay auction so stuff is still circulating it seems.

Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed you get them back one day :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry fo r the delay, I will get on to the list........just very busy in the Hanger ATM 

• 1 month later...

OK, so finally got round to scanning in some of my log books, i'll upload one every few days, though one or two my be too big a file to load.....sadly.  anyway here is the first installment

Reggie Soar RNAS

enjoy

Julian.

Reggie Soar Log Book.pdf

7 hours ago, thedawnpatrol said:

OK, so finally got round to scanning in some of my log books, i'll upload one every few days, though one or two my be too big a file to load.....sadly.  anyway here is the first installment

Reggie Soar RNAS

enjoy

Julian.

Reggie Soar Log Book.pdf 13.63 MB · 11 downloads

Wow. Much appreciated! I thought you were just going to provide a list but this is above and beyond!

Here is one of my best log books, that of Lt Bernard Balfour, 65 Squadron, sadly killed. 

I have had to shorten the file as it was too big for the forum, so i have missed out most of his training. its very well written up, and if you look closely, through January 1918.............notice the mistake with the dates...........combat fatigue ?

Balfour short version.pdf

last one for this week, Captain E R Pennell, 27 & 84 squadron. sadly not very well written up towards the end...........

Pennell Log Book.pdf

Fascinating, many thanks for posting these.  Pennell obviously didn't like giving details of his flights but Balfour's notes are great.