Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Log Book collection

thedawnpatrol

Ok, so thought I would dig out most of my RFC & RNAS Log books for a photo !

short of about 6 or 7 I could not get to.......

th e majority have operational content, several 'Aces' ........some I have Medal groups/ photo albums to as well

IMG_8628.JPG

IMG_8629.JPG

IMG_8630.JPG

Thats an impressive collection.....

Can we see the medal groups please

A listing of the log book creators' names would be nice!

Errol

17 minutes ago, kingsnorth36 said:

One word (Breathtaking) well done!

Regards

Richard

Thank you, that's 30+ years of collecting.........

30 years well spent and well done on preserving them.   

If it wasnt for collectors so many of these items would be lost forever

Regards

Richard

Dear Dawn Patrol,

Now that is what I call an interesting Collecting Theme. Well done!

It must have taken you well over twenty years and considerable single.minded determination (not to mention sufficient funds) to have secured such a magnificent memorial to RNAS and RFC Pilots.

You would not have the Log Book of RNAS Flt-Offr. W. A. R. Pepper (Image attached)583408013_FltOffrPepperRNAS1918.jpg.1f5b290d48a5636e195c54f7a1b1341b.jpg, by any chance? I have his MBE medal group and miniatures, and RAFVR Image...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Agree with others....what a fantastic collection.  Thank you for preserving them.  I'd definitely be interested in learning the names of the aircrew who first created these records.  

Congratulations on the wonderful result of years of dedication. If only there existed a database of all logbook collections and their present locations. <sigh> I have  searched in vain for the records of Capt D V Armstrong, and would appreciate any clues.

More power to your elbow!

Regards, Annette

Respect.  But I echo the requests for the names and, if possible, squadron details and dates!

Quite an impressive collection. I can make out one or two of the names on the covers.

I can understand if you'd be hesitant to publish a list of names: I've encountered descendants of particular individuals who claim that Great Uncle Bulgaria's papers/log books ended up in a skip, being unaware that items were sold on by a family member at some stage, and subsequently bought/sold by legitimate collectors since.

9 hours ago, quemerford said:

@thedawnpatrol: would we be able to get a list of names? I dare say there will be folks here who would like to use your resource, if possible.

yes, i will give a list, its just going to take me a while, i have over 40 post WW1 and WW2 log books as well.................

6 hours ago, thedawnpatrol said:

yes, i will give a list, its just going to take me a while, i have over 40 post WW1 and WW2 log books as well.................

:thumbsup:

It’s a bloody fabulous collection!!! Truly special!!

Managed to work out a few:

Barton, Frederick William

Chapman, A

Chapman, Charles Hamilton Murray

De Baillou Monk, Harold Henry

Durham, JO

Hall, FRW

Harvey, LG

Large, T

Logan, E

Parsons, Aiden

Pennell, Edward Robert

Pilling, WB

Rainbow, GE

Simms, Herbert Rutter

Teaffey, Redmond Lindsay Vincent

Yes, a good start.

ill add a full list with Squadrons later

@thedawnpatrol If you ever come across log books for my husband's grandfather we would love to find them. We have desperately been looking for over 10 years. His name was C.N. Ellen. I have more on my website at: http://www.hibbitt.org.uk/ellen-gardner/wanted_c_n_ellen_militaria.html

He entered the RNAS (F4179) as a CPO in 1915 and gained a commission and went on to have a full career in the RAF. Retired in 1946 as Air Commodore Cyril Norman Ellen D.F.C. (03233).