Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help interpreting a medal index record

molydeii

• Admin
20 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I was very intrigued to learn of Haig being impressed by an inspection of Garrison Guard battalions in the 40th Division.  Do you know if that comment was extracted from Divisional records, or was it from Haig’s personal papers?

It is mentioned in both the Divisional History (Whitton), and in Haig's Diary; from the latter:-

Monday 24 June 1918

Haig inspected some units of the 40th Division (23rd Lancashire Fusiliers,10th KOSB, 18th Royal Irish Rifles and 13th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers) which he wrote, ‘had been made up with men of “B Class’’.'

I saw some at drill, others musketry, one whole battalion was on parade in open order.  The latter presented arms and handled their rifles well.  I was greatly surprised and pleased with the class of men in the ranks.  They can shoot and will hold a position, but cannot march very far, say, 5 miles slowly is the normal.

COs said they were very pleased with their officers.  Equipment is coming in well.  Some few points call for attention.  Some Irishmen in the KOSB.  Latter regiment quelled disturbances in Dublin before the war!  Highlanders in Fusilier battalions anxious to wear their kilts again!  Some are anxious as to the meaning of this measure!  I told them that they are to fight to help us prevent the Germans from getting to Calais.  I think these divisions of old veterans will be a very great strength to us as they can hold ‘Support lines’, and if the front becomes quiet can relieve a division (for training) in the line…”

Douglas Haig War Diaries and Letters ed. Sheffield and Bourne

2 hours ago, kenf48 said:

It is mentioned in both the Divisional History (Whitton), and in Haig's Diary; from the latter:-

Monday 24 June 1918

Haig inspected some units of the 40th Division (23rd Lancashire Fusiliers,10th KOSB, 18th Royal Irish Rifles and 13th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers) which he wrote, ‘had been made up with men of “B Class’’.'

I saw some at drill, others musketry, one whole battalion was on parade in open order.  The latter presented arms and handled their rifles well.  I was greatly surprised and pleased with the class of men in the ranks.  They can shoot and will hold a position, but cannot march very far, say, 5 miles slowly is the normal.

COs said they were very pleased with their officers.  Equipment is coming in well.  Some few points call for attention.  Some Irishmen in the KOSB.  Latter regiment quelled disturbances in Dublin before the war!  Highlanders in Fusilier battalions anxious to wear their kilts again!  Some are anxious as to the meaning of this measure!  I told them that they are to fight to help us prevent the Germans from getting to Calais.  I think these divisions of old veterans will be a very great strength to us as they can hold ‘Support lines’, and if the front becomes quiet can relieve a division (for training) in the line…”

Douglas Haig War Diaries and Letters ed. Sheffield and Bourne

Thank you for taking the trouble to type that out in full Ken.  Fascinating to read the detail and I can imagine the AG staff officers having to address the points raised by Haig subsequently.  One gets a real sense of the number of older soldiers in the ranks, who while they might’ve been easily winded by any brisk route marches, would have been able to shoot very well indeed.  Most illuminating.

Edited by FROGSMILE