Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding Grandpa's WW1 Medals

lookingformedal

19 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Questions asked

And is there anywhere I can find the medals he would have been originally awarded?

I think the above question has already been answered , they may be in a collection some where or they may have been destroyed, lost ect you will have to search for them

Also any idea where to find when he was moved battalions?

His transfer dates can be found on his service records which can be found on Ancestry and Find My Past

if not a subscriber the may be able to be viewed at your local Library 

Ray

Thank you for this Ray 🙏

I will set up alerts on Ancestry and see if anyone gets in touch. 

8 hours ago, RaySearching said:

as Mikes post above 

just to clarify Robert entered the theatre of war in France with the 1st Bn RWF on the 25 May 15

wounded in action and evacuated home    (dates you will find on his service records)

he was discharged from service whilst serving with the 3rd Bn RWF

whilst members of the forum could  i am sure give you the full run-down of his military service

encouragement to try and do the research yourself is always recommended,  you will find this is more satisfying

if there is anything you don't understand on his service  documents you can always return with the query

I am sure assistance will be forthcoming

You should be able to download the 1st Bn RWF war diary for 1915 from the national archives  (for free at present) you will have to register first) which will give you some idea 

of the actions Robert was involved in leading up to, when wounded

Ray

Sorry to ask but are you absolutely certain he served in the first battalion and not second Ray?

My father was under the impression it was the second?

Greatly appreciate your help. 

7 minutes ago, chaz said:

does anyone in the family remember Robert?

apart from the obvious , searching ebay, google search, BMF etc some men were not impressed with their medals and were sent back or not received, as no note on his MIC rules this out. some men didnt talk about the war and therefore gave away, sold , lost or hid their medals along with their feelings .

The Saleroom deals with many auction houses and set up a search there can help. 

Obviously if a collector has them, there may be financial dealings involved, on the other hand, some will return to family. Just to say, that if he had something special, eg MC, MM Vc etc a collector might not be so keen to return. but be warned, if some unscrupulous person has them and knows you want them the price may inflate (happened to me more than once).

There is also another consideration, that of erasure, not the band, but some will erase the details and either sell off as blank space fillers or re name to make more sellable.

never give up, last year I obtained three sets from my great uncles, through The Saleroom and not heard of since the seventies.

Thanks for this Chaz. 

unfortunately not and as you already mentioned it was never really spoken about. 

How do I set up an alert in the sales room?

17 hours ago, Medaler said:

The 3rd Battalion reference is a bit of a red herring anyway, as they were a reserve and training unit which never left the UK. He would not, therefore, have qualified for any medals by being with them.

Bearing in mind that 3rd Bn appears on his discharge certificate, it is more likely that he went home from France in 1919 and was posted there, while his discharge details were finalised.

Ron

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb

in the search box place name or set yourself an account and you can go to My Watch List and set up your alerts, be as specific as you can, but be prepared for paintings, china etc that also matches your request, it works for me. 

my grandfather (one of the other brothers to the trio, two died one returned), was moody, didnt talk about the war , didnt like loud noise, I have his ribbons, badges, red book and shrapnel from his head wound, BUT, not his medals. Unfortunately, none of his children and hardly any of his grand children are still living to ask. 

5 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Bearing in mind that 3rd Bn appears on his discharge certificate, it is more likely that he went home from France in 1919 and was posted there, while his discharge details were finalised.

Ron

I am not saying that you are wrong, just coming at it from a different angle. Bearing in mind that his date of entry is May 1915, and that 1st Bn. were in France from October 1914, he must have trained elsewhere. That "elsewhere" would most likely have been their 3rd (Reserve) Bn.

57 minutes ago, Medaler said:
1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

Ron

I am not saying that you are wrong, just coming at it from a different angle. Bearing in mind that his date of entry is May 1915, and that 1st Bn. were in France from October 1914, he must have trained elsewhere. That "elsewhere" would most likely have been their 3rd (Reserve) Bn.

23 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

After bypassing Craigs link to his OU sign in page I did find the service record. Robert enlisted at Runcorn 107 years ago today, he was posted to the 3rd Bn RWF, this would also be the unit he was discharged from on 3rd April 1919.

2 hours ago, lookingformedal said:

Sorry to ask but are you absolutely certain he served in the first battalion and not second Ray?

My father was under the impression it was the second?

Greatly appreciate your help. 

Please also see my previous posts 

Medal roll shows he served in the theatre of war in France with the  Ist Bn RWF   the unit he was serving with when first wounded

The medal  roll also shows he later served with the 2nd Bn (see medal roll on previous post)

1983431102_1stbn.JPG.bf3d09d4115a7c39206c54cf549c8042.JPG

section of his service document  

embarked for France To 1st Bn 

gunshot wound 29/9/15 left forearm

transferred to England  28/9/15

440345317_medalroll.JPG.a0f77c112bf5fd6bd42f31e149a14871.JPG

recorded also on previous post as discharged from service from the 3rd Bn

43 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Please also see my previous posts 

Medal roll shows he served in the theatre of war in France with the  Ist Bn RWF   the unit he was serving with when first wounded

The medal  roll also shows he later served with the 2nd Bn (see medal roll on previous post)

1983431102_1stbn.JPG.bf3d09d4115a7c39206c54cf549c8042.JPG

section of his service document  

embarked for France To 1st Bn 

gunshot wound 29/9/15 left forearm

transferred to England  28/9/15

440345317_medalroll.JPG.a0f77c112bf5fd6bd42f31e149a14871.JPG

recorded also on previous post as discharged from service from the 3rd Bn

Unless I’m being blind it doesn’t say at what date he transferred to the 2nd battalion??

any idea where I can find that out :) ?

1 hour ago, jay dubaya said:

After bypassing Craigs link to his OU sign in page I did find the service record. Robert enlisted at Runcorn 107 years ago today, he was posted to the 3rd Bn RWF, this would also be the unit he was discharged from on 3rd April 1919.

Thank you for your help Jay!

• 4 weeks later...

You could also try Medal Tracker:

https://www.tokenpublishing.com/medaltracker

https://www.tokenpublishing.com/medaltracker/submission

If you’ve still yet to join the BMF, as previously suggested to you here, then you’ve nothing to lose by giving it a go. There’s an excellent search engine that you’ll find in the “Services for Collectors” section together with a list of auctioneers and medal dealers. Plus, who knows, unlikely as it may seem, someone there just may have your Grandpa’s Trio.

Martin

Edited by MartyG