Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Popham Panels

Guest Gary Davidson

Guest Gary Davidson

POPHAM PANELS were apparently a device used early in the war by ground troops at the front to send messages to friendly aircraft. Does anyone have a picture of one? It's supposedly some sort of venetian blind-type contraption.

Gary

Gary

A photograph of a Popham Panel (being used by US troops? - the uniforms look more American than RFC) is below. The caption says that white cloth panels were laid out in pre-arranged patterns to communicate with aircraft. From the photo, it looks like various white symbols could be created by moving bits of the dark cover.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

post-25-1110614535.jpg

Gary

Attached (and in the next 2 posts) is a 3 page pamphlet on the Popham Panel, the group in the picture are signalling "248". The pamphlet is dated February 1918 but I do not know hhow long the panels had been in service prior to that.

Mike

post-25-1110899902.jpg

Gary,

At the risk of being boring, I have now found that I have the follow up info on the panels in a copy of the Appendix mentioned on page 1, so 3 more pages follow.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Mike,

I've been reading this topic to find out more about Popham Panels but cannot see the attachments. Any chance you could resubmit the three page pamphlet on Popham Panels?

Thanks

Steve

Mike,

I've been reading this topic to find out more about Popham Panels but cannot see the attachments. Any chance you could resubmit the three page pamphlet on Popham Panels?

Thanks

Steve

I'm glad it's not just me! Yes please Mike, I'm dying to see them too!

Steve S.

Sorry, I no longer have access to the leaflet to scan it. The info is from SS 135 Appendix B "Co-operation Between Aircraft & Infantry" April 1918. This is an appendix to SS 135 "The Training and Employment of Divisions". If you are desperate for your own copies the IWM's Department of Printed Books will provide photocopies, sorry can't quote cost. (If you have not already encountered them the SS serieries are a series of instructional manuals and pamphlets published by the army Stationery Services

Yours

Mike

Mike,

I've been reading this topic to find out more about Popham Panels but cannot see the attachments.

Thanks

Steve

Yeah me too.

Anyone have any idea why ?

I was really annoyed about letting you down and have rooted about and uncovered scans I'd retained in a place I never thought to look!!! lets see if they are OK

Mike

post-97-1142938442.jpg

Mike,

Thanks so much for going to the trouble of digging these out again.

It's helped me a great deal in getting my head around communications in the infantry support role.

When we get the BE-2 up and running, we'll have to try a live demonstration!

Many thanks again

Steve

Anyone have any idea why they were called 'Popham Panels'?

Hi F@man.

In an attempt to stay as broke as possible, Matt Boddington and myself are restoring a replica BE-2c that was built for the movie Biggles Sweeps The Skies in 1969. We hope we'll have it flying again by early 2007.

We have a website dedicated to the project: www.biggles-biplane.com. Enjoy!