Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Popham Panels

Guest Gary Davidson

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have any dimensions for the Popham panel?

Cheers, Rob

Though I've not been able to determine the dimensions of the Popham Panel, the size of the Ground strips (earlier method of ground to air communication) were set at 12 feet x 1 foot so that the messages could be read at 8,000 feet. If the same rules applied to Popham Panels it would not be unreasonable to suggest that the size of the lengths of the arms of the basic 'T' might be 12 feet, with extensions added as necessary.

This is all the information (regarding specifications) that I have regarding Popham panels.

List of Changes 20649 Feb 1918

Apparatus, aerial signalling – Panel, T

Black sateen panel with device in white American cloth. Fitted with 9 flaps, 8 large and 8 small eyelets, 8 steel pins, 8 lines, 1 foot 6 inches in length, and 12 brass rings.

The body of the panel, including the flaps, is made of black sateen with a device formed by strips of white American cloth sewn on to the sateen. One side of each flap is attached to the panel by a seam which acts as a hinge. These flaps are arranged to cover parts of the device as may be desired. When all flaps are in use the remaining exposed part of the device resembles the letter T. Each flap is held in position by means of two buttons.

Another reference I have (List of Changes 19687, Nov 1917) for an earlier type of apparatus, aerial signalling describes the strips ground as 9 feet by 9 inches.

I have a photograph somewhere that shows that the Popham panel was about 10 feet by 6 feet.

I’ll try and find it tonight.

5th Australian Division conducted tests with it in May 1918.

'Both Flying Corps and Infantry engaged in this test expressed the greatest confidence in this method of signalling and consider it very effective and much superior to any of the past systems.'

Chris Henschke

Starlight, what is the reference for 12 feet x 1 foot? It may have been an earlier version than the Strips, ground that I quoted.

I have a photograph somewhere that shows that the Popham panel was about 10 feet by 6 feet. Starlight, what is the reference for 12 feet x 1 foot? It may have been an earlier version than the Strips, ground that I quoted.

Chris, It was part of a ten page article in a Cross & Cockade Journal VOL 23 NO 3 1992 - "The Royal Flying Corps" by Eric Marsden. In discussing the use of Clock Codes in early 1915 he goes on to describe the various methods of communications between aircraft and the ground at that time (a year or so before Popham Panels came into use). To quote a section:

"On the ground the gunners used a Strip System which employed strips of white cloth 12 feet x 12 inches, to form thirteen different shapes which would carry all of the information necessary to control the observing aircraft."

Regards

Steve

Thanks, Starlight. I'll do some more investigating and have a look at earlier dimensions and specifications.

Chris Henschke

This image I believe was posted on this forum some time ago. Would anyone care to guess at the dimensions?

Chris Henschke

post-671-1217472397.jpg

If you take the man on the right (looking up in the air) as being 5 feet 10 inches (tall for that time but not out of the question) and use the same scale on the panel (using the front edge for the scale as the man is exactly the same distance from the camera), the width of the "T" translates to 12 inches (identical to the earlier 'Strip' method of signalling) and the base of the panel itself as exactly 9 feet. Assuming that the "T" (without the optional flaps) fits inside a square (which it should do according to the various drawings on earlier posts), the size of the letter "T" would be 7 feet across and down, with each horizontal flap measuring 3 feet by 12 inches and the vertical flaps 18 inches by 12 inches. If you allow a three inch margin for top and bottom, the depth of the panel also works out at 9 feet.

Though these numbers may look too convenient, they were derived from actual measurements. As a matter of interest, no other height for the man produces such a realistic set of numbers.

So, in summary, using the numbers derived above, the panel size would have been 9 feet square, the "T" seven feet across and seven feet long, the horizontal flaps 3 feet x 1 foot and the vertical flaps 1 1/2 feet x 1 foot.

Phew - that was much more fun than doing the crossword!

Anyone else out there with other photos or dimensions?

Steve