Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Duesberry (Dewsbury) Thiepval Memorial?

Skipman

I'm probably missing something, wrong spelling, date, or Memorial.

I saw the attached on Facebook and thought would see if could find a bit more about him. I'm not seeing this soldier on CWGC. Below is the text and have attached a copy of the letter. Also attached a link to Forces War Records that has a photograph. Not sure where I'm going wrong.

"Today in 1916 John Duesbury took part in an attack during the Battle of the Somme. He was severely injured and trapped in a shell hole, where he wrote this letter that was later found on his corpse.

‘I am writing a few lines severely wounded. We have done well our battalion, advanced about ¾ of a mile. I am laid in a shell hole with two wounds in my hip and through my back. I cannot move or crawl. I have been here 24 hours and never seen a living soul. I hope you will receive these few lines as I don’t expect anyone will come to take me away, but you know I have done my duty out here for 1 year and 8 months and you will always have the consolation that I died quite happy doing my duty. Must give my best of love to all the cousins who have been so kind to me the time I have been out here. And the best of love to Mother and Harry and all at [home]."

FWR link https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/dedication-wall/2651/john-dewsbury-duesbery

Mike

Duesberry 1.JPG

SDGW

Forename John
Surname Dewsbury
Born Goole, Yorks
Enlisted Mansfield, Yorks
Place of Residence Goole, Yorks
Service Number 18260
Rank Private
Cause of Death Killed In Action
Place of Death France & Flanders
Date of Death 15th September 1916
Regiment

Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment), 2nd Battalion

5 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

On CWGC, did you do what I did at first- put the surname in the forename box?

Yes I did, but I obviously did something wrong somewhere.

Mike

Dewsbury search.png

Thanks again. Yes, flap over. Whatever I did wrong, I thought he either wasn't listed, or survived.

Mike