Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Britsh POW on/about Dec. 15, 1916 on board a Swedish steamer. Taken by a submarine

Felix C

26 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

A double Agent?

Doubt it. He was interned in Schloss Celle from his cature till the end of the war, and then returned home to UK.

Converserly, a man I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, McGoey, was sent by Casement  from Germany to make contact with the IRA in 1916.  McGoey was taken off a Swedish ship at Kirkwall and mysteriously reappeared in London  He was clearly a double agent  ( or had been turned by the British after they took him off the Swedish ship)

In an effort to see if we can get anything on him being caprured and escaping the Turks, I have started a thread on the Salonica & Balkan sub-forum

Edited by corisande

37 minutes ago, corisande said:

When you think about it, sending a U-boat to stop a Swedish ship to caprure him and his mail is really odd. It/he must have been really important to divert a U-boat from operational duties

U-boots stopped Norwegian and Swedish ships all the time, though...this incident is particularly noteworthy in that it involves a person, but there are plenty of stories from Norwegian captains about being boarded, searched, and finally allowed on their way. (Also many stories about ships being boarded, the crew put into lifeboats, and the ship torpedoed, ostensibly because they were transporting contraband. Apparently some companies in Norway actually hoped for this to happen because their war insurance paid quite handsomely for the loss of the ship.)

I have DNA links to McGoeys on ancestry and had not heard of them.  Having read this fascinating thread I may try and find out more!  

• 2 weeks later...

@alantwo kindly got Huss's Officer file and sent it to me. I have updated  my "life of Huss" - click  to include all that I can glean from the TNA file

• I conclude that he was never captured by the Turks, but that his service timeline was
  • 1915 Jun, commissioned into 3rd Welsh
  • 1915 Aug, posted Albania, on secret service work. Picks up malaria and shell shock
  • 1916 posted back to UK
  • 1916. posted Norway and Sweden
  • 1916 Dec captured by U-Boat
  • 1918 Dec repatriated UK

Of intestest is his request for a medal

file06.jpg.9f75ce7d33fb17ea2056227189cde013.jpg

and the reply

file04.jpg.fd7a0bd45d60f363629fefebfba4da10.jpg

And from Wiki the various MI depts at that time

MI1 or British Military Intelligence, Section 1 was a department of the British Directorate of Military Intelligence, part of the War Office. It was set up during World War I. It contained "C&C", which was responsible for code breaking.[1]

Its subsections in World War I were:

• MI1a: get rid of propaganda
  • MI1b: Interception and cryptanalysis.
  • MI1c: The Secret Service/SIS.
  • MI1d: Communications security.
  • MI1e: Wireless telegraphy.
  • MI1f: Personnel and finance.
  • MI1g: Security, deception and counter intelligence.
Edited by corisande

Outstanding work Sir. 

BTW, in the link provided, his signature does appear as Stuss. The H being similar to an S.

Edited by Felix C