Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An unusual (89b): IARO List for 2Lt James Bremner Henderson (later OBE; Civ: 1889-1969)

Kimberley John Lindsay

Unless of course he played rugby!

The 1903 All Black captain, Jimmy Duncan, is credited with coining the name five-eighths when he decided to take a player from the forwards to add to the backs. ... As the additional player stood between half-back and three-quarters, Duncan came up with the term five-eighths according to the fraction between them.

George

I must say I have always come across the term five eights in connection to rugby half backs.

It is in normal everyday use in Aus and NZ

Dear All, and George,

Many thanks for your welcome Input and also from the indefatigable corisande.

I tend to agree with Alf, however: the erstwhile temporary Gentleman (IARO) J. B. Henderson,888613799_15StarRevS4-140340PTE_ASC.jpg.fe6de645fb85368c91ff90014c8833fb.jpg was simply not the Rugby Type...

However, I have kept the Rugby usage of the 'five-eighths' terminology in my Henderson file, just in case!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I think if you do some research , you will find that the forty hour week only became law in the late 1930s  - ie 8 hours a day , 5 days a week. 

Before  that most people around 48 hours a week. 

Dear corisande,

Hmmmm. That's a thought! 

Henderson certainly made that statement (of being just a five-eighths) in 1936, at a time when the forty-hour week was not even on the horizon, as you rightly say.

I felt so sure that he was not of the Rugby ilk, but am now inclined to amend my on-going MSS accordingly.

This, especially if the phrase was used in Rugby jargon from about 1908 (when James Henderson would have been an impressionable nineteen years old). 

Thanks!

Kindest regards,

Kim.