Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An unusual (89b): IARO List for 2Lt James Bremner Henderson (later OBE; Civ: 1889-1969)

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Diane,

Thanks for righting the document for easier reading! I am not Computer-savvie (born 1944). Thanks also for "having a go!"

Dear Alf,

Thanks for looking, in true GWF manner: much appreciated!

'Exforce ???dit' (?) Tricky!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I am looking at the other papers. This showed he left Devonpotrt on 5/11/15. getting to Mudros on the 18/11 ad Gallipoli on 20/11. So the statement seems to cover his potential period in Gallipoli before moving to Basrah. The entries all seem to be by the same hand. Unfortunately translation is not helped by the lack of similar shaped letter or that the entry below obscures the middle of the second word. I think the second word could be duties. I did think the first word could be latrine but I do not think so  - maybe carrier

Edited by Mark1959

Dear Mark,

'Carrier duty/duties' (?)

Courier, perhaps? (So that it makes sense.)

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Yes that my be it. Courier sounds more likely, Reading one of other forms records for this period for him are thin on the ground. So just put in a catch-all phrase??

Dear Mark,

Quite so.

I take great solace in the fact that J. B. Henderson has researched far better than several of my rather more important Officer groups.

Henderson (son of a poor Scottish crofter), coming from the unfairly looked-down upon ASC (note RAMC was originally pencilled-in - and 'Clerk' and 'over-30' are emphasised), and latterly joining the eminently useful Indian Army Reserve of Officers attd. the exotic but similarly un-Posh Arab Labour Corps, makes for an interesting aspect of the Great War.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I have no idea what it says (it might say Mudros, and should say MEF but does not seem to), but clearly he was in Galipoli , if you compare the relevant pasts of his service record

writing2.jpg.2c7c8b677e920cf85e2b952f92b05cd5.jpg

Edited by corisande

Thanks David,

Unfortunately the links are for 1 Division Train {which includes 13 Company A.S.C.}. I am looking for 13 Division Train. According to LLT the divisional train did not sail for Gallipoli but sailed for Egypt in 1915, and joined 28th Division. It looks as if there is no war diary for 13 Divisional Train.

Regards,

Alf McM

• Admin
1 hour ago, alf mcm said:

Thanks David,

Unfortunately the links are for 1 Division Train {which includes 13 Company A.S.C.}. I am looking for 13 Division Train. According to LLT the divisional train did not sail for Gallipoli but sailed for Egypt in 1915, and joined 28th Division. It looks as if there is no war diary for 13 Divisional Train.

Regards,

Alf McM

My mistake, missed the Companies bit!

Afraid not David,

I downloaded it anyway since I have just been reading about Mule Trains in 'For the Honour of My House - The Contribution of the Indian Princely Statesto the First World War' by Tony McLenachan. It's an extremely interesting book.

Regards,

Alf McM

Dear David and Alf,

I greatly appreciate your searching, researching, and simply making the effort. Super!

Perhaps an ASC of the likes of Pte Henderson, Clerk, was simply asked for - and sent...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear David,

Indeed, yes, please...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

These two  - Buckingham and Henderson - must have known each other!

Can anybody tell the Forum something about 823177392_AlfredBuckingham.jpg.ca96232440d0847f37d40de138d328c3.jpg449934357_IMG_0494Gallipoli.JPEG.9bda25a9402316aa4e55aa77811a64b4.JPEG2099679695_15StarRollRASCviaNoelwithxandC-Commnd.jpg.dd0c13cfc97faf426fb45a8614f0797b.jpgthe 13th Field Bakery ASC (apparently at Mudros), please?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Alf,

I am extremely grateful for this - my Melbourne Mate (Noel) is making some Flank Attack research to check if Henderson was really serving on Gallipoli.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

Here is what the illigible line under 'Home' may signify:-

Pens (Peninsular) Ex (Expeditionary) Force Duties - 4.11.1915 to 13.2.1916

Kindest regards,

Kim.2114336322_Illegibleworsorwords.jpg.3fbb1074dea73eb443a2ce46d6c243b7.jpg952417052_DeatilPeninsular.jpg.4b2264030106087b267f0296d78d71ca.jpg

Dear All,

What is the meaning of 'a common five-eighths'...?

I am working on my MSS about the Life of the erstwhile ASC Pte., and IARO 2nd Lieutenant J. B. Henderson, and need help to translate that expression (which was obviously well understood in those days, but today)...? 

James Bremner Henderson never glossed over his modest beginnings. For example, during a post-Great War political speech, he frankly stated that he was, ‘just a common five-eighths’. Furthermore, that he was born on a little ‘croft’ two miles from John O’Groats (the most northerly part of Scotland), where his ‘humble crofter father eked out a livelihood’, this being added to by some deep sea fishing...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Alf,

Many thanks!

That makes sense, and I can now modify my Henderson MSS accordingly. Super!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay