Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could anyone help me to identify this uniform please.

Paul in the Somme

5 hours ago, battle of loos said:

good moorning,

this uniform is French.
our man wears a belt with the plate of the model 1845 in service until 1915. 
the photo must be dated around the period of the War of 1870.
kepi is typical of this period.
at the pass, it seems to me to see 2 caduceus (belonging to the medical profession)

Kind regards

Michel

Yeah i had a feeling that it could be a medical orderly. 

4 minutes ago, Guepe said:

Yeah i had a feeling that it could be a medical orderly. 

Or a Scandinavian policeman :thumbsup:

On 02/08/2021 at 18:30, Paul in the Somme said:

IMG_1097.JPG.f9cc55f50ef2388542252aafc521f0a9.JPG

The photo was with a letter sent from Bachant in Northern France by an unknown British soldier on December 30th 1918 to a family in Acheux-en-Amienois. The photograph was with the letter but I do not know if it was sent with the letter. It forms part of a large collection of items found in my neighbour's garage. Any help would be welcome

Although you've been put in a good direction you could use my link to narrow down his job and more about the uniform.

Hello Guepe

I had the impression that were not in a hurry to furnish me with the link that you had mentioned, I am sorry I did not respond to the link you just me sent any sooner as I had previous commitments today. I did register with passionmilitaria and I asked my question in the uniform section which seemed more logical to me than your suggested papiers et photos.

I had a message from them and quickly understood that they were more obsessed with procedures than any notion of help.

In the meantime battle of loos has provided a detailed answer which completely answers the question. (I think you were in agreement with him too).

My sincere thanks to all who provided the details

5 hours ago, Paul in the Somme said:

Hello Guepe

I had the impression that were not in a hurry to furnish me with the link that you had mentioned, I am sorry I did not respond to the link you just me sent any sooner as I had previous commitments today. I did register with passionmilitaria and I asked my question in the uniform section which seemed more logical to me than your suggested papiers et photos.

I had a message from them and quickly understood that they were more obsessed with procedures than any notion of help.

In the meantime battle of loos has provided a detailed answer which completely answers the question. (I think you were in agreement with him too).

My sincere thanks to all who provided the details

No problem I always like to help people's who want to identify uniform especially when I know i have the resources. 

1 hour ago, lukel1988 said:

The collar wreaths seem to be more like the vetinarian type

Are you able to show an illustration of that type Luke?  It would be interesting to compare and confirm one way or another.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, lukel1988 said:

That’s a great help Luke, thank you.  I agree that the original photo appears to show the same elongated leaf design of collar badges and so he probably is a junior veterinary officer.  It also perhaps helps to explain the absence of arms.

Thank you gentlemen for your help. I have advised my neighbour of your comments, and he will contact the family to see if this individual can be identified.

18 hours ago, Paul in the Somme said:

Thank you gentlemen for your help. I have advised my neighbour of your comments, and he will contact the family to see if this individual can be identified.

One thing I noticed is that the Vetinarians have similar leaves in their insignia to the medical staff, but without the caduceus in the centre, which is a significant feature / omission that will help with the identification.  Both organisations, however, seem to favour a velvet backing and a velvet band on the kepi.

Edited by FROGSMILE