Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CelleLager 1914/15 ..a small watercolour has survived…

SusanN

9 minutes ago, JWK said:

As far as I know the two stayed together until the end of their lives

That´s correct.

Back to Julius Dahm. I found his IRC card for Ruhleben, but not that for Celle. Did anybody find it?

GreyC

Hi JWK,

I fear you might have gotten the wrong man with the newspaper-clipping from Den Haag. I think it is a guy with the same name. He seems to have worked for the resistance in WW2:

"Au n°70 rue de la Grande Ile à Bruxelles, habitait Albert DE BADRIHAYE. Voyageur de commerce et résistant, né le 10.05.1903, il fût arrêté le 12.08.1943"

GreyC

Ah, but his Wikipedia says that he married Auguste Richter ? "wo er seine spätere, aus Breslau stammende Frau Auguste Richter (* 15. Dezember 1894; † 7. November 1969) kennenlernte. "

And yes, there are two Albert de Badrihaye's in 2 World Wars. WW1 is Albert I, WW2 is Albert II

Albert II got engaged in various "clandestine" operations agáinst the Germans. Born in 1903, he was executed on 26 feb 1944.

https://stolpersteine-guide.de/map/biografie/2495/de-badrihaye

Goodness gracious…what an interesting thread this has been for me…all from a little watercolour….so thank you for your contributions everyone….I hope someone can find more about Celle and the civilian prisoners interned there in late 1914 early 1915…maybe even my grandad Julius Dahm…

In  the middle the Englisch private secretary of the (German) count of Albania. He kept a journal (the secretary) from which stems much of what we know today about this camp. A thoroughly researched paper on Celle castle as POW Camp (in German) was published by Hilke Langhammer in the book Celler Chronik 22 in 2015.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Thanks Russ, That’s a great photo of the prisoners at Celle, sadly my grandfather, who would only have been 19 is not on it, they all look well kept at this stage. The link to the website which has more photos also helps to give an impression.

I found this from the author Hilke about the photo on this Great War forum… 2013 post on Anglicy ..English prisoners of war in the courtyard of Celle castle….

Standing 4th from left: Capt. Duncan Heaton-Armstrong, Private Secretary of Wilhelm zu Wied, Fürst von Albanien. Sitting 3rd from left: named in a french newspaper article (Le Miroir) "General B."

A video about the guy in the fancy uniform (Capt. Heaton-Armstrong) and his fotoalbum of Celle Schloss.

https://www.museumsfernsehen.de/kurz-mal-reingeschaut-der-kriegsgefangene-duncan-heaton-armstrong/

Can't quite find whether that fotoalbum is in the same museum (Bomann Museum, Celle), or whether it has been digitalised.

Thanks JWK, I had a look at the video, sadly I don’t speak German but the photo album looked very interesting.