Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CelleLager 1914/15 ..a small watercolour has survived…

SusanN

My grandad Julius Dahm was arrested as an enemy British civilian in August 1914 Germany and before he ended up In Ruhleben, he spent time in  Wessel Fortress, then the military internment camp at Munster and thirdly CelleLager.

Grandad carefully preserved this little watercolour of Celle all these years, I wonder if anyone can throw any light on the subject matter ?

9F9FC16C-7E56-48D4-8579-CA1A2BB6B4C3.png

Thank you Open Bolt, I had not seen the artwork of Celle, so that was very interesting for me. I went on your link for Celllager.com but I wasn’t sure how to get an English translation ?

Found the English translation…!

what a great website for photos and information thanks again…

Signature looks like "A. de Badrihaye"

I found an "Albert de Badrihaye", a Belgian painter, who worked for the German Army in WW1 (it doesn't specify what type of "work")

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_de_Badrihaye

What was he doing in Celle?

His signature on a 1928 watercolour (same A. as on yours, but the Y is different....)

badrihaye.jpg.52e4daec5e7b69c395c57f562c200916.jpg

https://auctionet.com/en/904593-tavlor-2-st-landskap-akvarell-signerade/images

***Edit

His ICRC card:

C_G1_F_13_01_0037_0533_0.JPG.93ed03d9a8b466a57b474d8d451bd24b.JPG

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/1958445/3/1/

Looks like the same person.

Badrihaye1.jpg.8b68239267b2c0f189f399242afe92f1.jpg

Edited by JWK

JWK that’s great detective work, so looks like this artist was definitely at Celle, I am not sure how my grandad acquired the watercolour or exactly when,though I do know my grandfather left CelleLager  for civilian internment in Ruhleben , March 1915.

Hello JWK, looks like despite being under a death sentence from Belgium, Albert de Badrihaye survived until 1976, I can’t find many watercolours online, though I am sure he must have painted quite a few in his lifetime.

Thanks GreyC, for the Correction from Wessel to Wesel, I see there is a book by Frederick Talbot on his experience there, but it sounds as though it would be very grim reading…but it may have to be next on my reading list as it also includes Ruhleben…

Hello Tootrock, I found this on Ancestry which suggests he was born in Belgium..

43480FD1-2F9E-4A7F-B431-86985CF5249D.png

There is a (German) article on Ruhleben by Christoph Jahr: Zivilisten als Kriegsgefangene..... in: Rüdiger Overmann (Ed): In der Hand des Feindes. Kriegsgefangenschaft von der Antike bis zum Zweiten Weltkrieg, Köln 1999, p.297-321 on Ruhleben. It is well researched but in German. Maybe of interest as Jahr used archival material.

Apart from this it might be interesting to note, that there were TWO POW camps in Celle. One in Scheunen with up to 15.000 POWs an one in the Celle palace, with only a handful (around 250) high ranking officers like (former) General Charles Bradley and mostly CIVILIANS like the mayor of Brussels, Adolphe Max and the British Duncan Heaton-Armstrong, the privat secretary of  the then count of Albania. But also simply engineers, students, merchants, clergy. Some lists of the prisoners and internees seem to have survived in Berlin archives. As a civilian, your relative should have been kept in the palace rather then in Scheunen...

GreyC

He was BORN in Belgium, but his NATIONALITY is given as "without one".

And his place of residency at that time was about 200 km north of Celle right at the coast of the North Sea. He seems to have had relatives (Alfred) that were born in Germany (Breslau). That didn´t make the relative German per se but could explain why he worked for the Germans, as stated above.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Thanks GreyC for your comments on Ruhleben and also Alberts nationality or rather lack of it…also I am encouraged to think my grandad may have been in Celle Palace; he had just started an apprenticeship as a fitter for  Neue  Automobile Gesellschaft  A-G Berlin company in Cologne, he also managed to pass a very strict driving test in 1912 so that he could deliver cars to the coach builder, they were very sorry to have to let him go 11Aug1914 ,as “ he wasn’t German “. So maybe his time in Celle wasn’t so bad 

Edited by SusanN

On 25/07/2021 at 13:03, SusanN said:

Thanks GreyC for your comments on Ruhleben and also Alberts nationality or rather lack of it…also I am encouraged to think my grandad may have been in Celle Palace; he had just started an apprenticeship as a fitter for  Neue  Automobile Gesellschaft  A-G Berlin company in Cologne, he also managed to pass a very strict driving test in 1912 so that he could deliver cars to the coach builder, they were very sorry to have to let him go 11Aug1914 ,as “ he wasn’t German “. So maybe his time in Celle wasn’t so bad 

There are quite a lot of articles about Ruhleben Susan and I wondered if you had ever done an online search?

1. http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/space-into-place/wyndhams-war-one-mans-account-of-living-in-ruhleben-internment-camp/

2. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28420676

3.  https://medium.com/soccer-stories/how-britains-best-soccer-players-survived-a-first-world-war-prison-camp-21beeae7057f

4.  https://britishheritage.com/history/ruhleben-prison-camp

5.  https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2774903/amp/Gardening-wire-Amazing-story-British-POWs-transformed-prison-camp-flowers-vegetables-sold-Germans.html

6.  http://library.law.harvard.edu/digitalexhibits/ruhleben/exhibits/show/ruhleben/ruhlebenites

NB.  There was even a much belated obituary (he died in 1976) about a Black Olympics athlete incarcerated there (of British Caribbean origin) in the TIMES this last Saturday, but I cannot find it online.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello,

Part of the conviction in 1920 may have been that he lost wathever nationality he had (Belgian or French).

Jan

Thanks Frogsmile, there were some links I hadn’t seen, in particular the British Heritage one which showed a fantastic photo of the 1914 British female protesters , protesting about the internment of British civilians and in particular Ruhleben, one lady even has a Ruhleben sash. 
I  really hope some more photos and stories may be unearthed from members old albums and diaries

702B41C1-A244-486C-B588-EA4AF34B924A.png

2 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Part of the conviction in 1920 may have been that he lost wathever nationality he had (Belgian or French).

Interesting idea!

GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

Interesting idea!

GreyC

I know that, after WW2, several convicted "collaborators" lost their Belgian nationality when they were not present (because they had fled abroad). I can imagine there was a similar thing after WW1.

Jan

Having no nationality was a difficult situation, as my grandfather suffered this for many years, he could not initially get a Passport and finding work after the Great War was even more challenging. He eventually obtained a special permit to travel from the Nigerian government in West Africa to work  for the Palm Oil industry for a couple of years.

Found an article in the Belgian newspaper “Het Laatste Nieuws” of 20 april 1920 about Albert (He’s called “Albrecht” in the article, but “born in Bruges in 1880”)

In short: in 1917 Albert/Albrecht worked for the Public Education office in Brussels. Several colleagues there had expressed the desire to flee the country to the Netherlands (with the help of a notary in Antwerp), and from there join the Belgian Army on the Yser.

He travelled with three colleagues to Liege on their way to the Netherlands, and whilst in a café, they were arrested by the German police. The three colleagues were imprisoned in Brussels.  Albert/Albrecht travelled back to Brussels, and told his colleagues the three friends had arrived in the Netherlands safe and well.

In the end he betrayed another 6 colleagues (and the notary), who all were sentenced to 2 to 13 months in prison…..

For his betrayal and espionage he received the deathpenalty.

badri.jpg.286c7114e2e4ea4d23a8de08cc8c4bf8.jpg

From the website of the Royal Library of Belgium  (click the third entry from the bottom "20-04-1920" )

A beautiful watercolour, but what a story behind it!

Oh dear, JWK you have uncovered a grim truth behind this artist, I wonder what drove him to such terrible betrayals…

1 hour ago, SusanN said:

Oh dear, JWK you have uncovered a grim truth behind this artist, I wonder what drove him to such terrible betrayals…

Why was he released from Soltau as "a Frenchman" or indeed as a Belgian (His father was a police-officer in Bruges. Don't know if that job was available to "strangers" in those days)?

Maybe he was tricked into pledging allegiance to the Germans, maybe he offered himself to the German authorities as a spy/collaborator.

He did made Germany his country, got married there, and died there.

Anyway: your watercolour has nothing to do with that, as it was made befóre all this in the newspaper article!

Interesting thing I found in the Dutch newspapers: on 15th June 1945 (so 6 weeks after the end of WW2) Albert de Badrihaye and his wife Auguste Richter, without known abode, are summoned to appear before the court in the Hague on the 18th to be heard about "article 99 of the Civil Code" [Which can either deal with possessions (in the Netherlands) or "end of marriage" stuff. Not quite clear] As far as I know the two stayed together until the end of their lives, so "must be about possessions"?

badrih.jpg.3c49372289cfab4e2bff84ef477ffd0d.jpg

Your grandfather Julius Dahm get's a bit snowed under in this thread. Sorry about that!