Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hypo hood

Lammy

Took a chance.! On the dreaded online shop.

30 day return, so can get my money back if needed.

20210702_180243.jpg.acf54aa2e7e927f9281f2ec47bb2a966.jpg

20210702_180302.jpg.f29fe4ad80baa056a434369d3f71c7e4.jpg

20210702_180319.jpg.1efbc97af6791a92e341d25da25b79d6.jpg

20210702_180343.jpg.91075eff8057188432cd144e2effd50e.jpg

20210702_180400.jpg.376fc97182b48bc11992c93e90dd0cb0.jpg

Or should I start the return now  ?

Something looks to be eating this helmet. Chemicals?

Will take better pictures,  when in hand.

Also it was from a charitable organisation, the church of England.

Not going to say its 100%. But in hand will tell.

Also , I dont believe I have seen two identical helmets. Infact in the few existing photos. Not 2 are the same, shape or colour.

Will see how pointy when on the dummy head.

10 minutes ago, Lammy said:

I can get this thing carbon dated for £300 , so well worth it.

Waste of money.

It isn't accurate if the object is of recent origin (500 yrs or less) and the range of accuracy would be huge, say +/- 100 yrs.

And that's assuming there is  material in it containing Carbon 14

....... aged with easily available iron filings sprinkled onto damp cloth ...... a popular technique.

if its cotton or linen, then it contains plenty of carbon. Anyway should be easy enough to date , the material weave and composition.

Edited by Lammy

They have a Ph mask at the black watch museum , exactly the same viyella outer material. In exactly the same colour.I will also be able to run a few chemical tests, for the detection of Sodium Thiosulfate .

Edited by Lammy

Chromatographic paper, saturated with ammonia, is used to extract the residual thiosulfate from  
the gelatin layer of processed film. The paper is treated in a silver nitrate solution and fixed in an  
ammonia·sodium chloride solution. Thiosulfate, if present, forms silver sulfide and the thiosulfate  
is determined by measuring the transmission density of the paper darkened by silver sulfid e. The  
paper extraction method is simple, rapid, requires only a densitometer as special equipment, and  
is very sensitive especially when the transmission density is measured for two layers of the paper.  
No filters are required. The test readily reveals the uneven distribution of residual thiosulfate on  
the film. By selective removal of thiosulfate from the image silver by ammonia and potassium  
bromide solutions, it was shown that a small amount of thiosulfate was absorbed on the image silver  
immediately after processing.

Except here, the paper will be substituted for fibres.

Edited by Lammy

4 hours ago, TullochArd said:

....... aged with easily available iron filings sprinkled onto damp cloth ...... a popular technique.

Rust from Iron (III) oxides with limited oxygen and low moisture results in black rust. Black rust can be visually identified as a thin, black film which is the result of oxidation in a low oxygen environment.

Although the presence , of rust does not prove originality , neither does it prove fakery. I am not daft and have 40 years experience. It does like bad storage though.

It was cheap.

Less than a copy would have cost.

Edited by Lammy

4 hours ago, TullochArd said:

It appears to be a period shot/sand blasters protective hood, which would explain the extensive fine rust staining. Not that that would necessarily rule out a re-purposed Hypo hood, but the shape is wrong - British uniforms and equipment were made to precise sealed patterns, with no variation permitted, even under wartime restrictions.

Pete

13 hours ago, Lammy said:

....... Although the presence , of rust does not prove originality , neither does it prove fakery......

No suggestion that you are daft Lammy - and clearly not the case from your detailed technical responses!  However, the distribution of the discolouration medium, whatever it is, does not seem to be random and appears on both sides of the item suggesting it happened during storage is unlikely.  Pete-C's comment on sealed patterns is most valid.  Personally my reaction remains Caveat Emptor.  Regards.  

No I agree , it does warrant further investigation. If fillings then should be able to spot those under magnification. But it could just be bad storage. I have asked where it has come from , just waiting for a response from the Church of England , have also asked the charity who do they use for verification of authenticity. Hopefully they get back to me.

Edited by Lammy

On 03/07/2021 at 20:30, Lammy said:

Also it was from a charitable organisation, the church of England.

Not going to say its 100%. But in hand will tell.

Also , I dont believe I have seen two identical helmets. Infact in the few existing photos. Not 2 are the same, shape or colour.

Will see how pointy when on the dummy head.

Ultimately if you are happy with it then that's all that matters. For me it is not one I would invest even a modest amount in.  

I dont even have it yet. Should be here tomorrow.

But have been trawling through IWM collection and the hypo helmet on display I feel is a repro. The image I want to see, you have to pay for through the licensing office. Even the one at the Macpherson museum is a repro.

So finding stuff to compare, is proving difficult anyway.?

1 hour ago, Lammy said:

Refunded. Straight away as soon as I opened. Big give away was the plastic lens. Either way nothing lost.

...... an education for us all Lammy.

On 05/07/2021 at 21:04, Lammy said:

No image.

Scroll down further.