Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify a place/monument

Sly

Hi,

Here is a photo of an American soldier who brought back some photos from the western front (Vosges and other places). I am trying to identify the monument where he is standing. I don't have a clue but it seems to be quite a big column with a soldier or sailor watching ? 
Thanks for your help !

Sly

567292471_image4-12.jpeg.b6b035500485b75c0ff6723667347ee8.jpeg

I have just spent 20 minutes searching various tyres of memorials along the british, french and belgium coast lines to no avail. Hopefully some body will know where it is.

Do you have a name or unit for him, the picture could have been taken prior to embarkation for France. A unit identity could give an embarkation place, from what I've read most Americans disembarked in St Nazaire and his attire suggests he was off duty as he has no accoutrements. I have been looking into New York landmarks but it could be that he embarked elsewhere on the US Eastern seaboard, again his unit identity could give a clue. There are some words on the stonework behind him too but even manipulating the image, they are annoyingly indistinct...I find these things really fun to investigate but time consuming and very frustrating...:thumbsup:

Ive been looking on google again this morning. I been focusing on searching sea ports only, due to the binoculars, which to me signifies someone looking out to sea keeping watch.

Still no luck finding the monument in the o.p, but gee, there are some monuments out there.

Also, the monument in the o.p may no longer exist if damaged during the war.

Some other information that could help.

He served in the 146th U.S Regiment (37th Division)

he landed in France at Brest on June 22, 1918

then trained in eastern France at Rambervillers (Vosges) late June, Baccarat and Vacqueville (meurthe-et-Moselle), Revigny

Sept. 20, embarked in French trucks to Recicourt (Meuse) in preparation of the Meuse-Argonne offensive

Slightly wounded on Sept.30

I have some other photos from him, including some in a mountain region that I clearly identify as the Vosges... the problem is that there is snow on the photos and he was there in June-July 1918: there is no snow in the Vosges in summer !

So I suspect that they were taken some time after the armistice, where he could have been late 1918 - early 1919 ? in Germany ?

Sly

I agree with JBau about the sailor looking out to sea. I don't know enough about uniforms to say whether he is a soldier or sailor from the photo though it looks to me as if he stands next to a capstan with coiled rope. Surely more likely to be a seafaring memorial.

Simon

There is an inscription in the stone behind him. Looks like it would be legible through a loupe on the original.

TEW

Fantastic !

Well done ! Thank you very much for your help and time, really appreciated !

Bravo et merci 

Sly

I have some others that I struggle to identify - no indication at all - should I post them here ? 

• Admin

I certainly would Sly, Great work by RBau.

10 minutes ago, Sly said:

Fantastic !

Well done ! Thank you very much for your help and time, really appreciated !

Bravo et merci 

Sly

I have some others that I struggle to identify - no indication at all - should I post them here ? 

For sure. Post away. Its keeping my wife sane while you're keeping me busy. Lol.

OK, some more . 

the three photos are marked "scenes from WW1" and "Mountains in France WW1".

I first thought of the Vosges because he went there in June-July (but there was no snow), but that could be the Alps too as the mountains seem quite high for the Vosges. Maybe he went there later in the winter 1918-19 ? I have seen photos of American soldiers in Aix-les-Bains in WW1 so why not...

image2.jpeg.1fff18835d89aca40556859207b8201d.jpeg

Amazing identification - well done!

John

Another one: somewhere in "France"

In a castle ?

Guys, I really think that if you are able to identify these photos you are super-heroes ...

image3.jpeg.6191e4b1a24a2f40827ef02f4677d7ec.jpeg

• Admin

Are you thinking the mountains are the Vosges? The top one could be taken from Bois de Stosswihr 

Suggest Hall of Mirrors Versailles where 1919 Peace Treaty signed

Good idea, however the 1919 photos of the Hall of Mirrors don't seem to match and there were no chandeliers at the time.

I have just noticed that most the soldiers on the photo have a walking stick - so that could be in or near a hospital base ?

Our soldier was slightly wounded in Sept. 1918, unfortunately I don't know in which hospital he was sent.

Are you thinking the mountains are the Vosges? The top one could be taken from Bois de Stosswihr 

What would be the mountain in the distance ? Ballon de Guebviller ? Don't you think on the two other photos that the valley appears deep and narrow to be in the Vosges ? And the mountain steep too ?

Edited by Sly

1 hour ago, Sly said:

OK, some more . 

the three photos are marked "scenes from WW1" and "Mountains in France WW1".

I first thought of the Vosges because he went there in June-July (but there was no snow), but that could be the Alps too as the mountains seem quite high for the Vosges. Maybe he went there later in the winter 1918-19 ? I have seen photos of American soldiers in Aix-les-Bains in WW1 so why not...

image2.jpeg.1fff18835d89aca40556859207b8201d.jpeg

After some brief research( googling), I am confident these 3 pics are somewhere near Vosges. The peak in the background in the first two pics matches a lot of images on google images searching Vosges.

Its hard to tell if the people in the 3rd pic are in military dress, but I don't think they are. There is also a house, or possibly a church on the left of the pic. When I search next, that will be the focus of my search in trying to narrow it down.

• Admin

Third one might be in the general area of Hohrod looking down towards Munster 

• Admin

@Dragon knows the area a great deal better than I do.