Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify a place/monument

Sly

Continuing the investigation:
I do think that he got his camera at the end or after the war for different reasons:
- the snow on the mountains photos and other photos of a camp which looks very muddy (so that couldn't be when he arrived in the summer 1918 but probably just before he left in 1919). 
- the possible photo in a hospital with the other soldiers in a castle.
- the photo of the Alabama monument, 

In order to know where his unit was (the 146th U.S Infantry) after the armistice I have found some other photos:

969112854_Capturedecran2021-06-21a22_13_57.png.7d3f9d9de1ad5b3d1fcf46f617577b49.png

It's in Bouillonville (Meurthe-et-Moselle, eastern France). That confirm that there was snow, the photo is dated from 23 January 1919.

784726052_Capturedecran2021-06-21a21_57_46.png.0ed427f5ff5408bd5f09a8fd41932770.png

1919, Vacqueville . It's very close to the Vosges. The house still exists in the village

.58635913_Capturedecran2021-06-21a21_59_10.png.00f4ee3264765c369df449eb83bc3b23.png

So our man was certainly in this area early 1919...

Sly

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2021 at 10:41, Sly said:

OK, some more . 

the three photos are marked "scenes from WW1" and "Mountains in France WW1".

I first thought of the Vosges because he went there in June-July (but there was no snow), but that could be the Alps too as the mountains seem quite high for the Vosges. Maybe he went there later in the winter 1918-19 ? I have seen photos of American soldiers in Aix-les-Bains in WW1 so why not...

My immediate thought was at the far end of the valley which includes Ampfersbach. I have photos of American soldiers there. I will try and find you some of my own photos but as a quick answer this photo of mine is from my blog. .https://thebluelinefrontier.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/ampfersbach-1.jpg Would it be possible for you to email me the image files? I can't expand these enough on my PC to pick out identifying features. 

I have seen snow on the Vosges well into June. There was 30 - 40 cm of snow when I was there at the end of April - early May 2016. I was looking at webcams recently (possibly June, I've lost track) which showed snowfalls. 

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

Thank you for your reply and your message  Gwyn,

Unfortunately I don't have any better photos !

I am pretty sure that the photos were taken in the winter 1918-19.

Sly

I didn't mean that you might have better photos; I meant that I can't view these pictures in sufficient detail through the forum interface and my PC. So I wondered whether I you would share the original images privately.

If you look (with a magnifying glass if necessary), can you see a large building (an hotel) in the forest almost at the top of one of the mountains? 

The one with the pointed mountain could be in the area of le Bonhomme.

Here is a photo from my collection. It's a US Army photo captioned "...held by Co "A" 137th Infantry and known as G.C. #6, Camp Jordan, near AMPHERSBACH, Alsace, France. Aug. 30th, 1918" (Spelling today is Ampfersbach.) I don't know whether this helps.

Ampfersbach US photo 1918.jpg

Edited by Dragon