Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Staff and Cadets No. 5 Officer Cadet Battalion, Trinity College, Cambridge January 1918-May 1918

pbaker163

2 hours ago, dmchardy said:

Update! Yes, that signature is very likely my Great Grandfather, John McHardy, 1878-1940 (and not the C McHardy in the Blunderbuss, who seems to be a different person). He was a Company Sergeant Major. I had the first name incorrect before.

The original post relates to a man who was an Officer Cadet at No.5 OCB from 4th January to 28th May 1918. The menu card is dated May 31st 1918.

The signatures appear to be a mix of those graduating, those still on the course but graduating in June 1918, and the staff.

It seems likely from the April 1918 edition of the Blunderbuss that the Cadets who signed the menu were with the Battalion then.

The C. McHardy from the Blunderbuss was in the December 1917 edition and was a Private prior to commissioning.

As to the plaque on the cup, tarnish makes it difficult to be certain about the details shown.

While it could read C.S.M. McHardy, (i.e Company Sergeant Major McHardy), with no forename shown, there is then a difference in size to account for between the “C.S.” and the “M”.

Which to me makes it likely that it’s actually a cup awarded to an M.McHardy – although what rank he held is unclear. C.S. as Colour Sergeant had not been in use since 1915, so perhaps Cadet Sergeant, or even possibly O.S. = Ordinary Seaman, although that seems unlikely.

There is no Medal Index Card for a 2nd Lieutenant M.NcHardy, but given the cup places the possible cadet at Trinity College in August 1918, he may not have got back out to a Theatre of War. I’m also not seeing a MiC for a 2nd Lieutenant J. McHardy. There is a MiC for a 2nd Lieutenant C. McHardy, ex Private Lovat Scouts & Cameron Highlanders, who was commissioned into the 6th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders in early December, 1917 – which looks to tie up with the information in the December 1917 edition of the Blunderbuss.

So timing wise it looks unlikely the signature on the menu and the man who won the cup in August 1918 are the same individual – unless he was on the staff. Which takes us back in a circle to the potential ranks shown on the cup.

Not all Officers records have survived from the Great War era, (and others remained with the Ministry of Defence if they continued to serve after 1920).

The only likely personal file I can see in the National Archive catalogue is for a Lieutenant John McHardy, The Gordon Highlanders. Looks like the file commences in 1918. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C714410

But no candidate for that officer in the index of the January 1919 British Army Month List. https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/123243108

Perhaps @Charles Fair fair has more information from later editions of The Blunderbuss on a likely Cadet McHardy who was on the course in August 1918. For an Infantry Office Cadet the courses normally took about 18 weeks.

Cheers,
Peter

Peter has echoed my thoughts...

I think unlikely but a copy of John McHardy's signature from another source would be helpful. If his officers file is available the Form M.T.393 A (Application for Admission to Officer Cadet Unit)  has applicants signature on page two so would give good, if not final idea, if it is him.

But would defer to https://www.greatwarforum.org/profile/892-charles-fair/

Not sure where else to put this but there is Picture from No 5  1917 here  https://harrowercollection.com.au/lieutenant-10617-sidney-muddle-2/

I may start another thread re extramurial students at Cambridge. I found thanks to help on here Grand Father was extra Murial Fitzwillam College with SOTC time to qualify for OTB,  Section of album has photos of others that I've now IDed also both at Fitzwilliam one went on to Commision April 1918 via  No1 A.S.C. School  and other Commisioned March 1918 No 8 RFA Officer Cadet School Weedon

Edited by pbaker163