Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Staff and Cadets No. 5 Officer Cadet Battalion, Trinity College, Cambridge January 1918-May 1918

pbaker163

My Grandfather was a Cadet at No 5 OCB Trinity College Cambridge from January 1918- May 1918.

I have a number of photopgraphs (some named) from his time there plus this signed Menu Card dated May 31st 1918...

I think i have identified some of signatures but thought I'd let the forum loose on them... However, I haven't matched names on photographs to these on menu so suspect large proportion are Staff.

Posted this seperately so if thread runs it won't block my Grandfathers Service thread...

508504967_menufront.jpg.c750730201185d6de7944bd926ddd506.jpg

1534763670_menupage1.jpg.dc79af0da1f02177edc9a0439ecbf29b.jpg

1639421760_menupage2.jpg.83d92d1fdbdc44be1592272e064c043f.jpg

To the left of the actual menu in the second image the signature appears to be "A.E.W. Beard".

There is a Medal Index Card for a Serjeant 9739 Alfred Edward Walter Beard, Lancashire Fusiliers, who was discharged to be commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the South Lancashire Regiment on the 28th May 1918.There are actually some surviving other ranks records for him as Alfred Edward WalKer Beard.

He is gazetted, (as Alfred Edward Walker Beard) on the same page of the London Gazette as Edmund Baker.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30754/supplement/7283/data.pdf

Also on the same page is a Richard Vincent Flanagan, commissioned into the Royal Munster Fusiliers. I suspect that could be a match for the R.V. Flanagan whose signature slants up to the right just above the end of the printed word “Dinner” in your third image.

There are a couple of London Gazette references to a P.C.W. Tatton-Tatton, (candidate for the signature to the left of the printed wording “Dinner given to”).

Temp Lieutenant to become Temp Captain, 3rd January 1919.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31102/supplement/145/data.pdf

Move , as a Captain, from the General List to the Royal Fusiliers, 12th May 1919.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31447/supplement/8802/data.pdf

But I couldn’t readily find his commissioning – a search of the relevant page of the Gazette might have brought up more candidates for the signatures on the menu.

There are no obvious officers records in the National Archive catalogue, nor could I find an obvious candidate for a Medal Index Card.

I then came up with a possible match for “R.M. Hughes MM”., (name at the bottom of image 2, to the left of the printed word “Dessert”). This appeared on page 8022 of the Supplement to the London Gazette, 6 July 1918. But the section header on page 8021 makes it clear these are cadets to be temporary 2nd Lieuts. from the 26th June 1918. So attendees at the meal may have been a mix of the recent graduates and those still working their way through the course.

Page 8022 gives you

Robert Morrice Hughes, M.M., commissioned into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30782/supplement/8022/data.pdf

Hope that gets you started.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

My nominations for potential names remembered here:-

M. Thomson                           L Young

D. Mitchinson (?)                   C. (or A or G!) L Leizel (?)

A. Seathurston(?)                   J.J.G. Phelp??

MENU.

A.W. Roan(?)

A.E.W. Beard (candidate suggested)

Gelee aux Fraises

J.M.Hardy                               ????M D??????k

Beignets de Fromage

L.F. Hall

R.M. Hughes MM (candidate suggested)

(Last Page)

A.A. Nevan, (or Bevan)

J. Thos(?). McTaggart

A. Peebles

R ???? Parry

J.W.L. Glaisher (or Glaisker).            R.V. Flanagan (candidate suggested)

L.T.(?). Book(?)                                 C. Marston(?)

V.H. Stanton

Dinner

PCW Tatton-Tatton (candidate suggested)               ??????

Cadets of No.5 Officer Cadet Battalion.

R.D ?i??

A.H.B. Boughey(?)                             Horace Whenay(?)

Henry Jackson                                                G.G. Gott

F.S. Hopkins(?)

S(?) M. Broom(?)

H.T. Slagg (or Stagg?)

Geve? (?) Shulls \ Shubbs \ Stulls \ Stubbs.

However a search of the Medal Index Card records in the National Archive catalogue failed to turn up any more potential candidates, (proviso – with many of the names I had to use wildcard searches, so to limit the number of matches I used rank = Lieutenant, (as that also gives Second Lieutenants).)

Returning to the London Gazette I then had another try at finding the commissioning of P C W. Tatton-Tatton, in the hope that the relevant list might turn up other candidates.

I did find an earlier mention – page 813 of the Supplement to the London Gazette, 14 January, 1918 where he appears on a long list as Lieutenant P.C.W. Tatton-Tatton, attached Royal Fusiliers. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30475/supplement/813/data.pdf

The list itself starts on page 812. “The undermentioned to be acting. Capts. (without the pay or allowances of that rank) whilst empld. with an Officer Cadet Unit. 19th Nov.1917.”

In the May 1918 British Army Monthly List he appears in section 43b under the heading of  “Graded as Staff Captain whilst commanding Companies and Squadrons of Officer Cadet Units”. His seniority date is given as the 12th January 1918.

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/106282493

So another slight fly in the ointment. As well as being signed by individuals at various stages of the course, not just those who recently passed, at least one of the signatories was actually an instructor. If other signatories are instructors they could be NCO’s rather than officers.

Cheers,

Peter

• 1 month later...
Hello,

I'm a historian who based in Penang,Malaysia.I'm looking for any picture of Captain William Hamilton Lee-Warner (1880-1943) who served as private in East Surrey Regiment in 1917 and attached to Officer's Cadet Battalion,Trinity College,Cambridge from Sept-Nov 1917.

Are there any picture of him can be found?.

I do have a group photo of him which is taken in 1906 Singapore.

Attached is a list of his appointments in East Surrey Regiment.

Please advice.Thanks.

Best wishes,
Winson Saw

IMG20210817114327.jpg

IMG20210817114337.jpg

Hello, I missed this thread as I haven't been on GWF for a few weeks.  I'm researching the OCB system as part of my PhD and have compiled a list of cadets who passed through No 5 OCB.  This has been drawn from the 7 editions of The Blunderbuss, a journal produced by No 5 OCB between July 1916 and Oct 1918, as well as 2 editions of a journal produced by cadets in E Company (billeted in St John's College) in late 1916/early 1917.  I reckon my roll is over 90% complete as I have the names of 4,313 cadets out of about 4,600.

Partly thanks to Peter's sterling work in deciphering the signatures I can confirm that most (if not all) appear to have been members of C Company and they are listed in the 6th edition which was published in April 1918.  Tatton-Tatton was the Company Commander.  Please find attached the relevant pages on which you can see many of the names.  I think the OPs relative is the first cadet listed.  It gives the room in which he was billeted.

This was the dinner given on the final night of the course as they dispersed the next morning.  The final exam had been held the Tuesday before (28th) and the exam results were released the day before on Thursday 30th.

I would be most interested to see the OP's other photos taken during the course.

You may be interested to know that there is a sequence of IWM photos taken of No 5 OCB by Harold Nichols, a photographer at the Ministry of Information in late Nov/early Dec 1917. See IWM Q30296 to IWM Q30327.

IMG_2353.JPG

IMG_2362.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

On 19/08/2021 at 08:34, Winson Saw said:
I'm a historian who based in Penang,Malaysia.I'm looking for any picture of Captain William Hamilton Lee-Warner (1880-1943) who served as private in East Surrey Regiment in 1917 and attached to Officer's Cadet Battalion,Trinity College,Cambridge from Sept-Nov 1917.

Are there any picture of him can be found?.

Hello Winson,

Lee Warner was also in C Company in the course before the previous post.  He appears in the roll in the 5th edition of The Blunderbuss.  He was captain of the C Coy hockey team.  I'll post this, as well as two company photos in which he must appear, albeit unnamed, tomorrow when I can copy them in daylight.

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

Lee Warner mentioned as C Coy Hockey captain as per post above.  He surely must be in these two C Coy photos.096C1F5F-CDCB-4EBE-A994-81933EFBFD87.jpeg.ef174477ab3724e2bc56e670f5d6a910.jpeg

F6286F8A-0B8E-4063-BC66-AFDB9D1277AB.jpeg

F569E057-CB34-4365-98C1-A944EAB63C1C.jpeg

As captain, I would assume that Lee Warner is one if the three men with hockey sticks.  (Close up of above photo)

C5190097-4FB1-452D-9E4E-0A06C7BE6268.jpeg

Edited by Charles Fair

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Charles Fair,

Many thanks for these pictures and information about him in Trinity College.He wasn't the man with hockey stick.As I have a very small group photo of Capt Lee-Warner of which been taken in 1906 Singapore.What's your email?.I can send it to you for comparison.He's wearing a spectacle.Very thin man.

With best wishes,

Winson Saw

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/08/2021 at 00:17, Charles Fair said:

As captain, I would assume that Lee Warner is one if the three men with hockey sticks.  (Close up of above photo)

C5190097-4FB1-452D-9E4E-0A06C7BE6268.jpeg

Hello Charles Fair,

I can confirmed that Capt.W.H.Lee-Warner is seated on left in the front row,

Do check the group photo that I have here.

Thanks.

On 26/08/2021 at 21:48, Charles Fair said:

Lee Warner mentioned as C Coy Hockey captain as per post above.  He surely must be in these two C Coy photos.096C1F5F-CDCB-4EBE-A994-81933EFBFD87.jpeg.ef174477ab3724e2bc56e670f5d6a910.jpeg

F6286F8A-0B8E-4063-BC66-AFDB9D1277AB.jpeg

Hello Charles Fair,

Thanks.

F569E057-CB34-4365-98C1-A944EAB63C1C.jpeg

OP Back on line in response to DM's and thread post notification.. Apologies for not replying  to posts and DM's I will ( as my grandfather I'm a farmer so not had much time to go online recently.)

Briefly I have more photos and after receiving his service record after scanning request they make more sense over this period... most from Senior OTC and OCB period

Junior OTC: Woodbridge School 1912-31st March 1915

Attested: 26th May 1916 4th Bat East Surrey Regt

To reserve: 27th May 1916

Senior OTC: (4 1/2 Months only) Trinity College Cambridge April 20th 1917 to 3rd? Sept  1917

Mobilised: 2 Jan 1918

Posted: No.5 OCB Trinity College Cambridge 4 Jan 1918

Commsioned: 2nd lt 3rd Batt Norfolk reg 28th May 1918

France: 18 September 1918 12th (yeo) Norfolk Regiment

Discharged 18th Feb 1919

I will update when have more time

OTB taster

Page of six Clockwise from topleft

• Unknown in courtyard
  • Pistol practice in chalk pit (cowboy poses)
  • Aged Warrant officer outside orderly room
  • unknown (believe out of sequence 12th Yeo Norfolks fellow officer)
  • Hockey 11 dated 2-5-1?
  • unknown outside hut

Page of Five Clockwise from top left

• Unknown in snow
  • Marked Lewis gun practice on negative
  • Rugby or football game
  • Group in Courtyard Smith and O'Grady named on back
  • Central (think out of sequence 12th (y) Norfolk Regiment Mascot)

can see 6th Apri "C" coy list that attached J S Pender was grandfathers roommate

OTB.jpg

OTB2.jpg

InkedJ S Pender_LI.jpg

Edited by pbaker163
spellings

Thanks Paul, look to be excellent photos.  Was he a student at Cambridge when he was in the Senior OTC or was he an extra-mural cadet?  Will reply to your DM.

On 30/09/2021 at 10:22, Winson Saw said:

Thanks Winson, it certainly looks very similar.  Thanks for the info on him.

6 hours ago, Charles Fair said:

Thanks Winson, it certainly looks very similar.  Thanks for the info on him.

Yes,indeed.I guess this is the only clearest picture of him that you ever found.Many thanks for this.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyones efforts particularly Charles and Peter. 

I've edited images of the menu to include  names and intake ranks of the high probabliities in black with regiment for staff and room number for cadets

I've cross referenced and marked these with coloured dots on the No5 OTB intake Jan 1918  C Coy   ex 6th Blunderbus April 1918 provided by Charles.

The posibilities and unknowns are in red text.

I did not find  names from any of the partitial Coys on the images provided by Charles but some of the red names may be cadets other from No5 OTB  companies from same intake or carry over cadets from previous intakes. They could also be other OCB or Trinity College staff.

One of the red unconfirmed I believe highly likely  to be Rev Anchitel Harry Fletcher  Boughey

https://www.whitingsociety.org.uk/old-ringing-books/boughey-ancient-church-bells-of-cambridge.html

menu page 2 anot un.jpg

menu page1 anot unk.jpg

No 5 OCB  C company intake Jan1918 may dinner.jpg

OK, going to put something forward here. Might be shooting from the hip?? but hear me out and consider.

Rev. A. H. F. Boughey was a Parish Church vicar living at 4 Cranmer Road in Cambridge. His son Anchitel Edward Fletcher served with this O.C.B. (and other O.C.B.'s) as an instructor and I believe Adjutant for a little while after being returned wounded from the front in 1915, going back to live with his father in Cambridge. Approximately half way through this course he went to work for A. G. 13 in the War Office concerning recruitment, from there he was transferred to the same office in Ireland and was drowned at sea on board the S.S. Leinster, 10/10/18.

If Charles has previous editions of The Blunderbuss or other companies officers it might confirm something that is niggling away in my addled mind.

Andy

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 18.09.10.png

Edited by stiletto_33853

image.png.daf0dbbfdb88d2ab182a18567b17c5c2.pngI

here are the two signatures...yours is top what is your source ( is that Anchitel Jr or Snr?)

yes , I've possibly missed generational crossover of dates..

I'd read want you have posted previously and when I've come back to this  thread missed the key is this Anchitel Junior and Senior question.

Snr was a fellow, if Jnr was not ordained I'm pretty sure the signatures match so has to be senior.

Anchitel Edward Fletcher Boughey was the Reverend's son. The Rev. A.H.F. Boughey became Fellow and Senior Dean of Trinity College, Cambridge. Anchitel Edward Fletcher was educated at Marlborough, joined the Territorial Army in the 1st Cambridge Regiment. Resigned in 1912 going to Montreal for his bank, returning home on the outbreak of war obtaining a commission in the 8th Rifle Brigade in October 1914 going overseas with them in May 1915 and was wounded in action at Hooge (GSW Arm) and never recovered properly. He served in a few O.C.B.'s but went back to live with his father in Cambridge. After his work in O.C.B.'s he was sent to work in A.G.13 in the War Office.

Source and signature came from the Anchitel Edward Fletcher Boughey officers file.

The signature I posted came from a letter between the Rev. and the War Office concerning his sons effects.

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 21.32.47.png

Edited by stiletto_33853

Any contra suggestions or confirmations on following possible non OCB Trinty College residents as signatories

A A Bevan

Scholar of Hebrew; Lecturer in Oriental Languages, Lord Almoner's Professor of Arabic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Ashley_Bevan

JWL Glaisher

Retired lecturer at Trinty and apparently still resident in 1918

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1996QJRAS..37R.743H

image.png.b24e8cf09241e7715fe3bea665dd1800.png

J J Thomson

Became Master Trinity College 1918 and Nobel prize winner...  signature looks similar

https://go4quiz.com/joseph-john-thomson-quiz-questions-answers/

V H Stanton

Lecturer in Political Economy, Regius Professor of Divinity

http://trinitycollegechapel.com/about/memorials/brasses/stanton/

Henry Jackson

Vice master of Trinty College 1914-19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Jackson_(classicist)

John McTaggart Ellis Mc Taggart   (J Thos (sic) Mc Taggart signature?) Thos is Ellis?

Lecturer in Moral Sciences

"He felt a passionate affection for his friends, for his school and college, and for his country. His ‘extremely virulent’ patriotism (Dickinson, 108) was expressed during the First World War when, as well as working in a munitions factory and as a special constable, he took a leading part in the expulsion of the pacifist Bertrand Russell from Trinity."

http://trinitycollegechapel.com/about/memorials/brasses/mctaggart/

• 5 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 14:00, pbaker163 said:

Thanks for everyones efforts particularly Charles and Peter. 

I've edited images of the menu to include  names and intake ranks of the high probabliities in black with regiment for staff and room number for cadets

I've cross referenced and marked these with coloured dots on the No5 OTB intake Jan 1918  C Coy   ex 6th Blunderbus April 1918 provided by Charles.

The posibilities and unknowns are in red text.

I did not find  names from any of the partitial Coys on the images provided by Charles but some of the red names may be cadets other from No5 OTB  companies from same intake or carry over cadets from previous intakes. They could also be other OCB or Trinity College staff.

One of the red unconfirmed I believe highly likely  to be Rev Anchitel Harry Fletcher  Boughey

https://www.whitingsociety.org.uk/old-ringing-books/boughey-ancient-church-bells-of-cambridge.html

menu page 2 anot un.jpg

menu page1 anot unk.jpg

No 5 OCB  C company intake Jan1918 may dinner.jpg

There's a chance J M Hardy is actually 'C McHardy' (the apparent c at the top between m and H is distinctive). My great grandfather was at Cambridge at this time, we have a sports prize that he won for the half mile in August 1918.

IMG-20240128-WA0002.jpeg

Edited by dmchardy
Typo

On 28/01/2024 at 12:27, dmchardy said:

There's a chance J M Hardy is actually 'C McHardy' (the apparent c at the top between m and H is distinctive). My great grandfather was at Cambridge at this time, we have a sports prize that he won for the half mile in August 1918.

IMG-20240128-WA0002.jpeg

Update! Yes, that signature is very likely my Great Grandfather, John McHardy, 1878-1940 (and not the C McHardy in the Blunderbuss, who seems to be a different person). He was a Company Sergeant Major. I had the first name incorrect before.