Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian regimental marking on Ross bayonet?

Rafal1971

if you can establish contact I may be able to add some orders, but myself included, possibly wouldent be more than 10- there are very few Ross bayonet collectors here in Aus and even less Ross rifles.

Speaking completely off my own back, but as a member of several of the more serious collector groups, I would be highly doubtful if there was even 100 complete Ross rifles of any pattern or condition on our particular continent. 

getting to the point that the last 3-4 I handled were rebuilt DP arms from India. 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16

I agree, they’re definitely not common to see in Australia. I’ve told the author that I’d be down for a copy but alas, we will have to wait out for more information as to whether a reprint is done or not. I can make contact again with the author to see how the plan is coming along to reprint.

Here’s a photo of mine. An early HG marked example, not DP’d, non riveted bolt and no service in India.

IMG_8988.jpeg

Edited by Mattr82

Beaut gun @Mattr82 can you pop through  any further photos of the markings? Would be keen to see the regimental marks.

kind regards

g

Mattr82  / Navydock16

Sad news on the Ross bayonet book , I learn that no second printing will be issued by the editor this is very sad indeed ! The Ross  is the only bayonet that even today we still discover new rare varieties beside markings of units etc . etc. Extremely scarce for the most of them , they will always be sought after by collectors and yes , unfortunately the value will keep going up in the extreme !

Be good !

3 minutes ago, van doos said:

Mattr82  / Navydock16

Sad news on the Ross bayonet book , I learn that no second printing will be issued by the editor this is very sad indeed ! The Ross  is the only bayonet that even today we still discover new rare varieties beside markings of units etc . etc. Extremely scarce for the most of them , they will always be sought after by collectors and yes , unfortunately the value will keep going up in the extreme !

Be good !

that is indeed sad, my signed copy more than I care to mention :( a good friend and fellow collector came by way of it whilst helping out another collectors widow selling off his books. He gave me the "privilege" and first pick of a full set of Jon Speed - Mauser books as well the Ross story and some original WW1 military manuals on optics/musketry which I was in to at the time. 

Still the most amount of money ive ever spent on books, and certainly in one afternoon. 

kind regards,

g