Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian regimental marking on Ross bayonet?

Rafal1971

Question in topic

Best regards Rafal 

gfdhdz.jpg.a5daeb3748b917bcc3257e98f6ea5a55.jpg

I believe the DA marked Ross rifles and bayonets were exchanged for SMLE's from Great Britain who issued them to the Navy or Royal Marines.

6 minutes ago, awjdthumper said:

I believe the DA marked Ross rifles and bayonets were exchanged for SMLE's from Great Britain who issued them to the Navy or Royal Marines.

and more importantly were later supplied to CHILE as part of the rifle complement on HMS Canada - it was Chile that added the DA number

SEE DETAILS HERE

Chris

Thanks for information

Rafal

• 7 months later...

Very interesting  presentation Old Sweats ,I find it interesting because I happen to have the following number D.A.50.   Ross bayonets are part of my main military  collection , all the way down to trench combat and hunting knifes !  I was lucky enough to find one H.K. all buffed out except for a no 1 on  the metal of the right hand side  pommel  followed by two empty spaces and a dot at the end. Looking more closely I spotted a small R near the dot this abbreviation I believe stands for  1 WOR  to be for  Western Ontario Regiment , this knife would be a witness of the first rare Canadian regiment & Battalion bayonet to embark for WW1 with their militia Ross rifles and bayonet 1905 Mk1  (armement being quite scarce at the time ) they fought at Ypres in France in 1915 

Van Doos,

Bob

HMS Canada and later as the Chilean battleship Almirante Litorre with another of her bayonets and its rifle.

(4) HMS_Canada_.jpg

(5) Chilean-battleship-Almirante-Latorre-ex-HMS-Canada-a-Jutland-veteran-in-dry-dock.jpg

(1) Ross Mk.III DA.jpg

(2) Ross Mk.III D.A..jpg

(3) Ross Mk.III Bayonet.jpg

7 hours ago, van doos said:

Looking more closely I spotted a small R near the dot this abbreviation I believe stands for  1 WOR  to be for  Western Ontario Regiment , this knife would be a witness of the first rare Canadian regiment & Battalion bayonet to embark for WW1 with their militia Ross rifles and bayonet 1905 Mk1  (armement being quite scarce at the time ) they fought at Ypres in France in 1915.

Yes this is possible but unlikely in my opinion. I also have a Ross bayonet relatively cleanly stamped with the 1WOR on the timber grip. Of course I did the research and found that it COULD be for the 1st Battalion, CEF (Western Ontario Regiment) but further study revealed that it was also the marking of the DEPOT in their home District, so quite a lot of gear would have been marked like that. I will have to see if I can dig out that info again.

Cheers,  SS 

Here is a little more information on the WOR possibilities. Canada at the time was divided into Military Districts with MD.1 being Western Ontario (see link for illustration)

https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/organization/districts.htm

Later in the war the 1st Depot Battalion, Western Ontario Regiment was established to handle the training of troops. These drafts of men were then sent on to England ending up as reinforcements to the front line Battalions.

https://mccofc.ca/WWI-CEF-Badges/P10-Res-Garrison-Battalions-in-Canada.pdf

Cheers,  SS 

Found the old photos of my 1WOR marked bayonet. She's certainly been around this one ...

Cheers,  SS 

post-52604-1264657236.jpg.1d85d538a14718b77f0c6fbebd959582.jpg

post-52604-1264737820.jpg.0d31e50504551c4b872fd3cc16becc07.jpg

PS. Also appears to have spent quite a bit of its life attached to a rifle. Note the difference in level of corrosion/patina at point of attachment over the pommel. :thumbsup:

Edited by shippingsteel

Thanks for all pic. and replies ,interesting and appreciated to all of you !  I included pictures of the hunting knife in question to assist the Forum for the analyst .

The left side bears not one but two release markings on this 1908 broad arrow (early issue)  The right hand side of the pommel with an unusual marking of 1   . (two empty spaces and a dot at the end . Upon looking at the dot closely one can see traces of a small R when held at an angle ! (WOR.) This different marking seems to differ  from what was standard issue  at the depot . Was this applied for overseas , or officers etc. One thing for sure , multiple diff. markings were implemented possibility  for overseas ? A rare mystery !

Thanks again for your  help in this matter

Bob

IMG_9048.jpg

IMG_9047.jpg

Not commonly seen the C with the two arrows inside. I have the same stamp on one of my rifles. Really nice bayonet you have mate.

IMG_8800.jpeg

The C^ stamps on the pommel are the official Canadian Sale mark denoting sold from government use/service. I don't believe your bayonets 1. marking has anything to do with the CEF battalions in my opinion.

Canadian practice was to stamp unit information into the woodwork of their weapons. This can be found on the buttstocks of their rifles and the timber grips of their bayonets. My bayonet shown above is a good example of this style of markings, because it was actually done at that time.

Just wondering but I don't even think the P1908 bayonet was front line issue at the time the CEF was being put together. Will have to check but I think the newer Mk.III Ross rifle (which fitted the different P1911 bayonet) was the current service rifle at start of the war. This would rule your bayonet out of any possible CEF markings altogether. PS. Checked and yes that is correct your bayonet is the wrong model ...

Cheers,  SS 

Edited by shippingsteel

Thanks , shipping steel 

The Broad arrow alone by itself (without being in a C ,  indicate that the original bayonet now this knife )  was issued in the month of may and June of 1908 , you could be right also ,  ( it could have been made for the militia  just B-4  WW1 ? This is part of the fascinating world of the Ross Bayonet !

Many stamps on your bayonet have been worn off and are mostly illegible. The 08 that is visible is the Pattern number of your bayonet - P1908. This is the first type of Ross bayonet they made, to suit the Ross Mk.II rifle. You will find issue dates on these mostly from 1909. Shown below is what your pommel markings should normally look like.

Cheers,  SS 

IMG_1412.JPG.6876072055c26333b58a118745dfcfc0.jpeg.ef05c229feba917085a293e04abb8779.jpeg

That looks like a good book! 
I definitely want a copy of The Ross Rifle Story which is about to have another reprint I’ve been told. 

Mattr82,

You will love it , book's have been a great help to all  Ross bayonet collectors ,I have found another scarce variety that I will post  to assist all my fellow military collector to  help in anyway I can 

my regards 

I emailed one of the authors about 3 months ago and he said they were going to do a reprint but time unknown at this point. I got a Ross Mk.III rifle last year and its a rifle I have wanted for a long time and they aren't often seen in Australia. A bayonet for it is on my watchlist.

Really appreciate you showing us this bayonet mate.

I've been told that the book is being printed in the States when they reach a certain total justifying a second print. They are quite scarce in Canada also and seem to have many varieties that you will discover at a time that many military collectors are discovering some of the fines example even in the small cut down bayonet  are surfer sing 

One thing we need  is patience in military !Sometime its not the cost of an item thats  important like finding it !

Regards

In answer to Shippingsteel . As you can see these are not buffs and are quite scarce if not rare (very hard to find ) I have turned down several offers as so many others . They are probably twice as hard in Australia . Hoping this will help , as The 5-1909 and 6-1909 ( May and June) were marked as is , only the 7-1909 (July ) carries the /\ arrow in the C  and from that date on to today  became the standard acceptance for the Canadian marking

Cheers

IMG_9055.jpg

IMG_9053.jpg

IMG_9054.jpg

IMG_9052.jpg

On 17/04/2024 at 22:55, van doos said:

Mattr82,

You will love it , book's have been a great help to all  Ross bayonet collectors ,I have found another scarce variety that I will post  to assist all my fellow military collector to  help in anyway I can 

my regards 

Any news on the reprint, I had to buy an original unfortunately, 

kind regards

g

13 hours ago, navydoc16 said:

Any news on the reprint, I had to buy an original unfortunately, 

kind regards

g

Not yet. They said once they reached a certain number of orders, that would justify their reprint of it. 

Hi , 

Unfortunately not !  A bit sad indeed !  Maybe if  3 or 4 collectors in Australia would buy a printing package lot at a special price with  exclusivity and distribution at your end , I'm at a lost to help you out , Very sorry here

Just now, van doos said:

Hi , 

Unfortunately not !  A bit sad indeed !  Maybe if  3 or 4 collectors in Australia would buy a printing package lot at a special price with  exclusivity and distribution at your end , I'm at a lost to help you out , Very sorry here

Navydoc 16

Very difficult to establish a contact, will get back to both of you if I can , 

Cheers