Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Unit was he in and his rank?

Gavin73

Hi Team, Going through old pics of my great grandfather and wondered what unit and rank he had. He was Scottish but the badge on his shoulder appears to say NZAR or similar? Any help appreciated!

1239015470_JamesMcDermottCunningham.jpg.5e8f2a1d5bf8f79ef46e3c1abc2e5c37.jpg

224740406_JamesMcDermottCunningham2.jpg.6441f7810e99e6039505a9795074b6b4.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Second photo is I think St John Ambulance. The first photo where he is laying the wreath I can make out NZASC I think. New Zealand Army Service Corps possibly? 

I concur with Michelle that he’s a staff officer of the New Zealand Army Service Corps as evidenced by the shoulder title NZASC that can clearly be seen.  The four rings of lace on his cuff and a row of lace on the peak of his cap show his rank to be full Colonel.

CC08C4F2-F942-4709-8563-D9255F896CB1.jpeg.6eb58f0309657cc9b21c5f0dc8a4ca76.jpeg

6C5C70AE-1ECC-477E-B741-78C57901E752.jpeg.8ceca4d1bf2c1b0a70f4953c2d5561a4.jpeg

DA427D77-1B91-4B5A-BC20-AACDBE53AD8D.jpeg.70387ea90aa252b5226cbf0e06075104.jpeg

EEFA82F1-4C7D-4F26-9B76-833E9F68EF36.jpeg.335e04a8517a8d690460f8d9ab98b37d.jpeg

The men in the second photo are members of the British Red Cross Society. Most are wearing BRCS proficiency badges and two are also wearing the BRCS Medal for Proficiency.     Pete.

I'm sure if you posted his name, then some experts could tell you exactly what his career progression consisted of.

Thank you for those informative responses! You guys are brilliant!

I am just wondering, my great grandfather was Scottish, born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, lived in Scotland. Was it common for a Scottish officer to be put in charge of a New Zealand corp?

Thank you for your suggestion Dai Bach y Sowldir, and I would appreciate if anyone could . . . 

His name was James McDermott Cunningham, born 1 March 1870 in Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Passed away 13 April 1946 in Uphall, Lothian, Scotland.

1 hour ago, Gavin73 said:

Thank you for those informative responses! You guys are brilliant!

I am just wondering, my great grandfather was Scottish, born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, lived in Scotland. Was it common for a Scottish officer to be put in charge of a New Zealand corp?

Thank you for your suggestion Dai Bach y Sowldir, and I would appreciate if anyone could . . . 

His name was James McDermott Cunningham, born 1 March 1870 in Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Passed away 13 April 1946 in Uphall, Lothian, Scotland.

I suspect he might have been a retired military man who perhaps rejoined in the war and became an honorary colonel with the NZASC.  The dominions only had small full time military forces before 1914, and during the war were often helped with their training by British former regulars often referred to as ‘dug outs’ (as in dug out from retirement).  It seems possible that his former service (assuming there was some) might have been with the British Army’s ASC, or some other aspect of combatant service support, making him of use to the NZ forces.  This is all just my conjecture, but it is a feasible explanation for you to consider and perhaps explore.

Edited by FROGSMILE

In the book "Record of Officers and Others, N.Z.E.F." there are only 2 Cunningham Officers, The book lists members of the New Zealand Armed Forces that served overseas, not those that remained at home.

2Lt A. Cunningham & Lt Col W. H. Cunningham 

9 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

In the book "Record of Officers and Others, N.Z.E.F." there are only 2 Cunningham Officers, The book lists members of the New Zealand Armed Forces that served overseas, not those that remained at home.

2Lt A. Cunningham & Lt Col W. H. Cunningham 

Thank you, that’s helpful.  [edit] He might well be a substantive Lt Col as an acting, or honorary Colonel, but the difference in initials implies someone else.  Your list implies that our subject served in the then U.K. (Ireland inclusive) only.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 17/06/2021 at 02:33, Gavin73 said:

Hi Team, Going through old pics of my great grandfather and wondered what unit and rank he had. He was Scottish but the badge on his shoulder appears to say NZAR or similar? Any help appreciated!

James McDermott Cunningham.jpg

James McDermott Cunningham 2.jpg

Are the photos dated at all?. Is the man marked with an X in the group photo supposed to be the same man as the one in the first photo?.   Pete.

1 hour ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Are the photos dated at all?. Is the man marked with an X in the group photo supposed to be the same man as the one in the first photo?.   Pete.

No dates sorry. Yes the man seated at the left of photo is the same man.

2 hours ago, Gavin73 said:

I would assume then that the Red Cross group photo is pre- Great War as he appears younger than he is in the first photo. I must admit I am surprised,  given the lack of any medal ribbons, that he rose to the rank he did.     Pete.

12 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I would assume then that the Red Cross group photo is pre- Great War as he appears younger than he is in the first photo. I must admit I am surprised,  given the lack of any medal ribbons, that he rose to the rank he did.     Pete.

Thanks Pete. Yep, there is a story there, just wish I knew what it was . . .

This doesn't explain the NZASC badge but is this your man?

image.png.3396fef34258b72943eddb9600f2926f.png

Daily Record 02 July 1918 courtesy of Find My Past

George

...and potentially this man?

image.png.dfdf05fd3e199219b543be88385802f6.png

Daily Record 03 June 1918 courtesy Find My Past

George

Brilliant work George, that certainly looks like him.  To be granted a Cadet commission, again suggests earlier military service, even if only with auxiliary forces.  There is still more to be discovered about this man it seems.

Edited by FROGSMILE

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/war/supply-and-administrative-units/army-service-corps. If ou can work out exactly which unit he was in charge of some of the war diaries are available. 

Colonel WH Cunningham returned to NZ in the Ruahine inn 1919 he was with the wellington West Coast Battallion he received the DSO. He married and settled backin NZ in 1919 to work as a barrister. https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19190201.2.56?end_date=31-12-1951&items_per_page=10&query=colonel+cunningham&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1914. Definitely not your James of Scotland :-)

A search for Colonel J Cunningham turns up references to Cheshire Regt early 1900's , Salvation Army 1920's and Red Cross 1940's- paywall but free access through some libraries.

• Admin

An observation:-

born 1870, he would be 54 in August 1914, a bit old for military service, even as a dug out.  What was his occupation in the 1911 Census.

Presumably the wreath laying is a Remembrance Service in NZ on Anzac day (National Memorial, dedicated 1932?)

17 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

An observation:-

born 1870, he would be 54 in August 1914, a bit old for military service, even as a dug out.  What was his occupation in the 1911 Census.

Presumably the wreath laying is a Remembrance Service in NZ on Anzac day (National Memorial, dedicated 1932?)

I make it 44.:)

5 hours ago, Madmeg said:

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/war/supply-and-administrative-units/army-service-corps. If ou can work out exactly which unit he was in charge of some of the war diaries are available. 

Colonel WH Cunningham returned to NZ in the Ruahine inn 1919 he was with the wellington West Coast Battallion he received the DSO. He married and settled backin NZ in 1919 to work as a barrister. https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19190201.2.56?end_date=31-12-1951&items_per_page=10&query=colonel+cunningham&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1914. Definitely not your James of Scotland :-)

A search for Colonel J Cunningham turns up references to Cheshire Regt early 1900's , Salvation Army 1920's and Red Cross 1940's- paywall but free access through some libraries.

That all seems to fit (for J Cunningham) very nicely Meg.  A clear link with the Red Cross.  Puzzling regarding NZ though.  Might the men have been related?

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
58 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I make it 44.:)

You are right🙂

but I’d still suggest a little old, ‘dug outs’ had previously held a Commission and were of senior rank.

I also find it strange there is no obituary in any of the online newspapers. Uphall was a relatively small industrial community.

There is a ("a" indeed James seems to be a popular name amongst the Cunninghams) James Cunningham b 1870 Maryhill Lanarkshire joined 2nd dragoons 1893, Another 1870 Lanark but with no year or regt. In 1914 there is a James b Maryhill 1872 joining the Cameronians. And any number with no age given.

Do we have a spouse's name at all - there are a few census records but without knowing a spouse it's a bit tricky- none seem to have a middle name (except some of the Scottish born American entries which are too numerous to check out with out more details.) The above are from a quick look on familysearch.

2 hours ago, Madmeg said:

There is a ("a" indeed James seems to be a popular name amongst the Cunninghams) James Cunningham b 1870 Maryhill Lanarkshire joined 2nd dragoons 1893, Another 1870 Lanark but with no year or regt. In 1914 there is a James b Maryhill 1872 joining the Cameronians. And any number with no age given.

Do we have a spouse's name at all - there are a few census records but without knowing a spouse it's a bit tricky- none seem to have a middle name (except some of the Scottish born American entries which are too numerous to check out with out more details.) The above are from a quick look on familysearch.

Bother- hate it when it deletes a post before you finish it!

Anyway there is a JS (or JC or JA ) Cunningham DSO and possibly CBE in quite a few reports, he is shown as taking part in a rifle compettiton in 1907 as un the 1st [Ohe] (sic) shira rifles. But he died in 1943 at Orchard Cottage Darnick Melrose so not sure if he is your an.

The chap from Cheshire is a bit too early- he's showing up in 1889 as Honorary Colonel .