Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Taylor wounded St Julien 31 July 1917 and/or on HMHS Essequibo on 1 August 1918

A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy

Thanks Tricia.

The two Sergeants that are mentioned in your link to Norman's diary who were Signallers, Sgt Collins and Sgt Hindle, are, according to the 1914-15 Roll,

2524 Sgt Collins, R - Discharged 12/09/1916. His MRIC shows Robert but again no British Victory & War Medal. No trace of a Silver War Badge so it it possible that he re enlisted into another Corps.

3063 Sgt Hindle, W - Discharged 01/12/1917. There is 201069 William Hindle, WO 2, in the BW&V Medal Roll (but no mention of previous number 3063) also a Silver War Badge record. He enlisted on 09/11/1914 and was discharged under para 392 (not shown if sick or wounded) on 01/12/1917 age 36. He was most likely a reservist.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

1 hour ago, brianmorris547 said:

The two Sergeants that are mentioned in your link to Norman's diary who were Signallers, Sgt Collins and Sgt Hindle, are, according to the 1914-15 Roll,

2524 Sgt Collins, R - Discharged 12/09/1916. His MRIC shows Robert but again no British Victory & War Medal. No trace of a Silver War Badge so it it posible that he re enlisted into another Corps.

3063 Sgt Hindle, W - Discharged 01/12/1917. There is 201069 William Hindle, WO 2, in the BW&V Medal Roll (but no mention of previous number 3063) also a Silver War Badge record. He enlisted on 09/11/1914 and was discharged under para 392 (not shown if sick or wounded) on 01/12/1917 age 36. He was most likely a reservist.

That's so impressive, Brian, thank you,. I couldn't think at first where you had found the names Hindle and Collins, but I remember now that I mentioned them on the book's website because my GF would have learnt all he knew about signalling from them.

I had a look to see what else my GF had to say about these two men.

Leaving to one side the occasions that he mentions them because he was working alongside them at the front repairing cables etc. he tells us that Sergeant Hindle had, before the war, been 8 years with the 8th Irish Hussars, and that Sergeant Collins had been 12 years with the Manchester Regiment. He doesn't tell us what happened to Sergeant Hindle in the end, i.e. as to when and how he was wounded. With regard to Sergeant Collins, he says that he left the unit on 6 August 1915 with appendicitis, so it is very possible that he went to another unit when he recovered.