Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Picture postcards needs translation

Moniek

55 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

Also -- two different handwritings from the same person is not uncommon.

Although we might have an idea what sort of incident brought him into the hospital - illness rather than injury, we do not know what exactly befell him- but the card from there might well not have been written by him but by a nurse. This did happen if the sender was to weak or due to injury uncapable of writing. However as he said he´d be released from hospital in a short time, it is a less likely option here (not out of the question, though).

GreyC

Even though his surname is in question, there are two Pauls recorded in the 1911 and 1922 Oschatz address books - Paul Joseph Scholz and Paul Wilhelm Scholz. Ingenieur Oberaus is still living at or the owner of Promenade 25 in 1922. There is no trace of Elisabeth Scholz in either the 1911 or 22 books. I don‘t know the criterion for inclusion in the address book, maybe single women were not included, perhaps GreyC can provide clarification. 
Charlie

Edited by charlie2
Scholz added to names for clarification

Hi Charlie,

usually all persons heading a household were included, so single women (unmarried, divorced, widowed) were listed, as well as men, if they lived as tenants or owners of a house or flat. People were not listed, if they were lodgers / subtenants.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

@Moniek Could you say anything about the provenance of the cards? When you bought them, were they bundled or sold singly? Did the seller know anything about them?

The reason I'm asking is because while doing the transcriptions it never occurred to me that the same person wrote the two cards that we are now discussing. (Possibly I was biased, having just transcribed another card by a different Paul, and I thought it was funny that the three cards I did that day were all written by various Pauls.) That said, having compared the handwriting of Card 1 with the "Andenken" part of Card 2, I think the argument can be made that the writer is the same person. The formation of the swoosh above the U is very distinctive. At the same time I'm unable to completely convince myself; and as GreyC says, perhaps he didn't even write the first card himself...

Could you also say which photos match up with the text? Some of the pictures show groups of men, and if he's among them then their uniforms might provide another clue.

I bought them at a flea market on Queens day in the Netherlands around 2009. They were all together in a frame, which I tossed. The seller couldn't tell me much about them, he learned from me they were WWI era photos. 

I took pictures in order but while uploading they got mixed up so I'll do my best 😊

Man standing in uniform by himself in a winter background - penned in blue ink stamped 20.3.17.8-9V

Group of 6 in the foreground - penned in black ink to address in Lippe

Group of 10 - penned in black ink, location Lens

Handgranatenwerfer postcard - half the letter and two handwritings

postcard at Verdun - Paul the exclamation mark man writing Lisbeth!!!

horses pulling gear and carriages - Morava and the other location written in pencil

Postcard from Budapest to Feenstra in Amsterdam. (At the bottom it says something like money raised is going to the widow and orphan fund from the zbosnia Herzegovina infanterieregiments nr 3)

Ah, @Moniek, how interesting your postcards turned out to be - and so much information too!  I couldn’t find your thread on the other forum so toddled along here to see how things had got on.  I shall follow with interest.  

12 hours ago, Pighills said:

Ah, @Moniek, how interesting your postcards turned out to be - and so much information too!  I couldn’t find your thread on the other forum so toddled along here to see how things had got on.  I shall follow with interest.  

I never expected so much info to surface really and am very happy there are people who are willing to give their input 😊