Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Bayonet Markings

Gunner 87

I've been examining the Ronde script for a couple of hours now, trying to figure out if it's a letter and not a number on that top bayonet's series of numbers (1?131). That's an intriguing format. Frankly, I'm puzzled, I hope you can find some better evidence on your end!

There is certainly letter behind the first digit, by second bayonet is 2D27 , the first could be 1H or 1Z 131, similar numbering were observed on Lebel bayonets and some french members mentioned it could be rack numbers, i have 3T59 on slot of M1886 Lebel bayonet. It could be too a producer internal numbering? Saw similar marking on area of pommel too.

Edited by AndyBsk

I've seen these numbers in mortise slots on Rosalie bayonet before as well, but have no idea as to their meaning. They don't seem 'right' for inspector markings...

Julian

I just found it interesting that out of some 40+ Gras bayonets, only the 2 1882 dated examples had it. 

If you guys are seeing the same on Lebel bayonets, I will check all my Chassepot Lebel and Berthier bayonets tonight too.

I think I only have one Rosalie and one Gras these days - if I can find them I'll check! Lack of storage space and our 84% inflation, slowly decreasing now, plus a Turkish salary, meant letting go a lot of my collection over the past few months to concentrates on favourites... Even so, :(

Unfortunally i doesnt have photos of my older already sold bayonets Lebel M1886 and M1886/15 from that area, the M1886 have a 3T39 in chanell of handguard. On my M1886/15 and S102(f) is no stamping in the chanell, anyway i saw on german forum more samples with similar numbers in that area, mainly the M1886.

LEBEL2Bspine.JPG.80b7db4c93152d0b2c6fdf09a6c29227.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk

That's the same type of marking I remember on my 'Rosalies', same place also, towards the end of the mortise slot.

Julian

Here is other piece from german collector, M1886 with I 43 on spine of handle.

LebelM1886.JPG.2a28b923765781bfbbe4577572b83c5d.JPG

• 11 months later...

Interesting information and very useful. I can't add much but some markings. But I do find them interesting design and spine maker and date engravings.

IMG_20240307_220507~2.jpg

IMG_20240307_220556.jpg

This is a polish post 1918 used bayonet Gras, which was denoted by deciphering WZ.74 on pommel, the spine of blade marking is for production Manufacture de Armes de Chatellerault, August 1880.

Much obliged. I can see the August 1880 but the other markings I presumed give away some record. Not a great example but the design being still sword poker for a last ditch duel shows imo its era of evolution. But I'd imagine the T blade is quite strong going forward and rather gruesome if used successfully. 

Damn it now I have another variant/marking to find.

Neat!

Oh just on that post WW1 use in Poland it missed the franco-prussian war they were designed in time for but I'd presume also it was used in WW1 and after Germany took Poland possibly worth finding out how that would affect any other markings added which I'm afraid are way too far gone to read except the middle of the three circles. By then much out of date but refitted to 1935 rifles? Possibly changing some design features or not. 

N. White are you sure you need another *** maybe there is one in the pile you missed but interesting also so much historical variation. That's when these pages become very useful with the information provided as I had no idea what those were. 

EDIT- actually I re looked and see what you mean. And I was wrong on the 3 circles. That's another Belgium one I was reading up on today.

Edited by jacks back

Nope, I definitely don't have a WZ.  It IS a big pile though..

Well if your in the area one day that could probably be easily fixed. Sadly our postal rates are highest in the world. But that "is" to me what it's all about. Finding new homes who appreciate bothering to know what it is. In saying that sometimes the funs in the hunt so to speak.

• 1 month later...

New member here (Victoria, Canada) and new to bayonet collecting. I'm looking at 3 Gras bayonets w/scabbards available locally. This and other forums are helpful regarding marks and numbers. Ebay gives me an approximate idea of prices. Questions occurring to me:

1. Condition: Should the blade have original patina? One of them has been cleaned and polished. I presume that metal pitting, rough wood, rough scabbard decrease value substantially.

2. Are some dates & manufacturers (or combinations thereof) more desirable than others? I have not seen anything posted on this.

Any help on these or other factors would be much appreciated. Unfortunately no photos yet.

John

Certainly a not proper or heavy cleaned sample lost his collector value in large size.

Yes there are some scarce combination, good is the imperial production made prior 1870, same as some extra blade blanks deliverer in war period. There exist too some smaller range producers. Colonial marking and other.

Thanks. The ones for sale here look common (St Etienne 1879). Are 5-digit serial numbers typical?

Yes prefix letter and range prior 100000 are normal.

These ones have M and S marks on the ricasso, but no prefix letter for the matching 5 digit numbers on the cross guard and scabbard.

If a Gras has a prefix letter, does it mean anything? If no prefix letter, does it mean anything?

Is probably other second letter as M is for Saint Etienne and S for Tulle, is always better present the real picture. It means only it was serialed with a exact rifle. No prefix letters by Gras is not obvious, could be spare reserve pieces.