Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forecastle of Cruiser pic any way of telling which one

arantxa

I’ve been given a whole bunch of postcards photos of G W Frankish killed at Jutland I don’t know much about Navy this was in with them so all cruisers look the same on deck 

hecwas killed on Malaya but also a lot of pictures of Hms Bulwark 

one pic has cap tally of Hms Spartiatt? Maybe it was a brother

also Hms dreadnought 

thanks for any help on the senior service 

D8FB9D15-5636-4402-9162-6452E92324BE.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It has the look of an old Cressy Class cruiser.
The postcard is signed ‘A. Butler’ postmark 1917, so presumably a photo of a ship that he was on. 

Obviously knew the family well, and he sent the card from Withernsea (Yorkshire coast), so was he a resident of the town?

Only a guess, but maybe it is HMS Sutlej.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

Looks like a nice bundle of photos. Could you post more of the ratings(sailors), specifically any that show close up shots, it might be possible to read one of their cap ribbons.  I tried enlarging the group photo but could not make out ship's name.

Ord.Sea. George William Noel Frankish J47684 had only been in the navy less than six months before his untimely death.

HMS Malaya was his first sea draft.

MB

There are some others but think this gives the flavour they all came together 

The only ship name cap ribbon I am able to read is HMS SPARTIATE, 1st cl Cruiser of 1898.  The photo where the seated ratings are peeling potatoes(?) for dinner.

Appears to be a very nice varied lot of photos.

The first photo in the second lot, young rating standing alone, cap ribbon appears to be HMS VICTORY.

Likely completed his basic Boy training & awaiting his first sea draft.

But not the foc’sle of HMS Spartiate - as Diadem class cruisers were fitted with two single 6” gun mounts forward, offset to port and starboard (not a lone centreline single).

MB

the chap on his own says on back g ew frankish killed 31.5.1916 hms malaya

Could well be him then... have you checked bis ADM 188 (Service sheet)?

No I haven’t but as it came with the Malaya memorial etc I guessed it matched up

I guess no real point in that as KizmeRD  mentioned in his post above Malaya was likely his first & only sea service.

Another very young life cut short unfortunately.

edit - thanks for posting Frankish ADM188 Kiz....we were both typing at same time.

Edited by RNCVR

thanks

thats why he has the victory cap then

Thanks

Thank you all for your help

Much appreciated

He would have taken his initial training on HMS Victory as he was there 10 Dec 1915 until 3 Mar 1916.

Looks like Cressy class, in which case, it has to be Sutlej, Baccante or Euralus as the other three in this class were sunk in 1914. 

Looking at the size of the 'ole in the gun muzzle compared to the sailors' heads, it looks bigger than 6" - probably 9.2". 

I too would guess Cressy, or perhaps Powerful class, though maybe not enough bridge windows for the latter. Gun mounting doesn't really look deep enough either - maybe foreshortening. So many of these things, all lookin' the same... :D

Edited by MikB

The Cressy class cruisers had two 9.2” guns, one fwd, one aft, in addition to an array of (12) 6” guns, therefore happy to stick with my original guess - foc’sle of HMS SUTLEJ.

MB

Curious why you pick Sutlej vs Bacchante? Record of service seems to favor  Bacchante. But who knows?

6 hours ago, Tonyb said:

Curious why you pick Sutlej vs Bacchante? Record of service seems to favor  Bacchante. But who knows?

The original postcard is franked with a 1917 date and sent from an address in the UK.

At that time HMS Baccante was flagshp of the 9th cruiser squadron patrolling the African Coast.

MB

Second photo is the group shows a group of sailors in working rig with a Warrant Officer.  The rating to the right of the WO has a cap ribbon which, I believe, is RN Anchor VR.

Photo later on of a modern battlecruiser is of Renown or Repulse.

Not certain how the various posters who have contributed to this topic feel,

but I would love to see you post more of these superb photos Arantxa.