Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Highland Light Infantry soldier?

PPCLI

Dear Stuart,

Page 134 of the October 1919 issue of the HLI Chronicle (the regimental magazine) states that the 51st (Young Soldiers Bn) moved to Worringen where the 2nd Bn had previously been stationed. This move was apparently sometime after April when the 2nd Bn left. They were there at least through August as there is a report of a brigade sporting event on the 25th of that month.

The 51st HLI, the 15th HLI, and the 5th KOSB made up the 1st Lowland Brigade which was apparently stationed around that general area at the time. The sporting day was held at Dormagen, wherever that is.

A number of infantry men served at least parttime on horseback. I have a photo of the 2nd Bn machine gun section with Driver Scott sitting on horseback. This photo was taken in 1913 in Scotland and so the soldiers were in white dress tunics rather than khaki service dress. Had they been in khaki, I'll bet Driver Scott would have worn a bandolier.

I believe the name Campbell on the photo postcard of your grandfather's friend is actually the name of the photographer. His address is just below. Quite often the photgrapher's name was in script like a signature and his location in block letters. I have hundreds of photos from WW1 and before and that is fairly common.

I hope you are able find out more about your grandfather as time goes on.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for your reply. I haven't got much time at the moment to write, but just to say that I now know that my grandfather definitely enlisted into the 51st Bn. HLI in March 1918. He is mentioned in a local roll of honour for men and women from the area who served in all branches of the services. It states that he served on the Western Front and with the Army of Occupation, however, I cannot find a MIC that would match for him (I don't know his regt. no.), which doen't fit with him serving on the Western Front (at least pre-11th Nov 1918).

If you know of any earlier intakes (e.g. late 1918) from the 51st Bn. to the 2nd HLI could you let me know? I think he may of been in France very shortly after hostilities ceased. Any other 51st Bn. related info would be appreciated now that I know for sure that is the correct Bn. to be focusing on.

Cheers,

Stuart