Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Jones Williams 310070

Thomas Jones

Quick response from britishwargraves.co.uk with a photo of Williams War Grave in Belgium.

Thanks everyone for your help in finding all this, we really appreciate it.

Tom & Family

489415025_DSCF5912-Copy.png.e5eb4bec89f6827efbd3bccffbe48b4e.png

Edited by Thomas Jones

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

A few typos to correct Tom:

"

25 April 1918, 2:30

Enemy opened heavy barrage fire preceding an

attack on Kemmel Hill, reported that Kemmel village

& Hill taken.  No definite news.  During the morning

batteries of the Brigade suffered very heavy casualties

especially 252 SB who had 12 killed & 20 wounded

& 1/1 Welsh HB, 2 killed, 14 wounded.  Total casualties for the

Brigade 15 killed & 53 wounded.  Further casualties Lieut.

Kilburn & 1 - OR 188 SB & 2Lieut. Hutcheon & 2 - OR 249 SB reported

missing from OP Kemmel. 2Lieut. Shepherd 1/1 Welsh HB wounded to hospital & Captain L.C. Warren & 10 - ORs 1/1 Welsh HB gassed & admitted to hospital.

Kemmel Hill & village now known to be in the hands of the enemy.      "

Thanks Clive, appreciate that 👍

What does 'SB' and 'OR' stand for? Tom

2 minutes ago, Thomas Jones said:

Thanks Clive  Dai, appreciate that 👍

What does 'SB' and 'OR' stand for? Tom

SB - Siege Battery

OR - Other Ranks (Not officers)

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi Tom,

Prior to the outbreak of the war, as a TF man, unlike a "regular", he wouldn't have had a full time commitment. The TF were sometimes known as 'Saturday night soldiers', as they worked during the week in civilian life, but pitched up once a week at the local drill hall. Additionally there was a summer camp. The service file for 278/310042 Davies shows this:

image.png.453f47fa5bd2fb1d8e7702688d910d24.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

I think that the second entry reads as Pembroke Dock, and the third as Okehampton. I guess that William may have been at those too.

Regards

Chris

Ha, never heard that before 'Saturday Night Soldiers' but would have helped bring in a little more money for the family?

5 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

SB - Siege Battery

OR - Other Ranks (Not officers)

Sorry Dai, thanks for the info 👍

More typos!! :wacko: Been a long day 

Hi Tom,

11 minutes ago, Thomas Jones said:

Ha, never heard that before 'Saturday Night Soldiers' but would have helped bring in a little more money for the family?

I guess so. However, without any actual evidence for my pre war TF relatives (whose family weren't particularly hard up), I often wonder if their motivation was more socially orientated - kind of like joining a modern grown up version of the Scouts. I don't know what the pay rates were.

Regards

Chris 

1 minute ago, clk said:

Hi Tom,

I guess so. However, without any actual evidence for my pre war TF relatives (whose family weren't particularly hard up), I often wonder if their motivation was more socially orientated - kind of like joining a modern grown up version of the Scouts. I don't know what the pay rates were.

Regards

Chris 

Yes and it looks like they got to travel a bit, Okehampton etc. 

Best, Tom

Someone will correct this, I'm sure, but the Territorial Force from 1908 usually signed a 4-year Home Service contract.  They got their uniform free and for the first time received pay at Army rates (?probably pro rata) for attending drill nights. They were also paid for their 15-day annual camp at full Army rates (plus a £1 bounty at the end of it).  For many working-class men this could be their one holiday of the year, but it wasn't unknown for employers to refuse to give them the time off and to sack them if they disobeyed.  As a result in 1913 only 66 per cent of the lower ranks apparently attended camp.  

As recruits they had to attend a set minimum number of drill nights in their first year (it was certainly 40 for infantry), pass a musketry course, and attend the camp.  One minor benefit in the days before the NHS was that they were also insured for payment of medical and/or hospital expenses of 3s. 6d. a day for up to 6 months for injuries or illness etc. arising from military activities.  They could also give 3 months notice of resignation if they wished to be discharged before the end of their contract, and had to pay a small fee as well.  

Service overseas wasn't mandatory, but there was a mechanism even before WW1 whereby a Territorial could sign an "Imperial Service" Form volunteering for this, and in return got a small white-metal badge to be pinned above his right breast tunic pocket.  For those who were serving on 4 August 1914 (or with 4 years service who re-enlisted before 30 Sept. 1914) and who took this obligation before 30 September 1914, and who didn't qualify for the 1914/ 1914-15 Stars, it was later decided to award them the Territorial Force War Medal if they managed to get overseas during 1916-18.  The 1/1 Welsh RGA were certainly in that category as a unit, but it's a comparatively scarce medal, only about 33,000 issued.   

One bonus for the men of 1914 was that on mobilisation even for Home Service they were paid a bounty of £5 in gold sovereigns! 

That's great information Clive.  Glad to see they got something for their commitment.  Not really surprised about the employers though given the times and the conditions they all worked in.  This makes a lot of sense how William achieved his Territorial Medal and not any of the Stars.  £5 in gold sovereigns!  Nice bonus.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting. It's been really interesting following the 'story' of William unravel over the last week. I guess that we will never know, but I wonder what prompted him to make his 'will' in his pay book in September 1917? It's nice to see his handwriting - clearly an educated man. I hope that you feel rightfully proud of him.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, Yes we noticed he wrote his will some months earlier and wondered what exactly prompted it.  Seeing the devastation all around would have been enough for me to write a will, I'm certain of that.  It has been really good to get Williams story out there, putting the pieces together that have built up the picture of his life.  We are so grateful to the Greatwarforum for being a place that will help keep him remembered.  That goes for all the soldiers we have read about here.  We are definitely proud of William Jones Williams 310070.

Many thanks for all your help in his story.

Very Best, Tom

We were interested and surprised to read that the Territorial Force War Medal that was awarded to William Jones Williams is the rarest of the 5 Great War Medals.  A total of 33,944 Territorial Force War Medals were awarded.  This includes 227 to nurses of the Territorial Force Nursing Service. 

I thought my Great Grandfather, Arthur Pengwyn Jones had this too, but I mixed it up with the he has the oval WW2 Territorial Efficiency Medal (nothing alike:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_War_Medal 

WW1 Territorial War Medal.jpg

Edited by Thomas Jones