Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders Diary

CSMMo

hi all, I'm coming late to this one with one of the other Thomson A and S fatalities of the Great War of the 5th Bn on CWGC. My Great Uncle John Thomson S/12205. he was killed in action 28th Sept 1918. Bit later than your diary fellows and my information is thin. I have a family group pic from 1915/16 with him in the kilt. I also have a 5th Argyll unit pic from some time after that which I cannot date. I will dig out and post later.

cheers

alan

Hi, Alan, 

My grandfather, Harry Macnab, served in the 1/5th  Argylls from enlisting in February 1915 until the end of the War, so your great uncle's time with the Battalion would have coincided with at least some of Harry's. 

I am aware that your great uncle John served first with the 14th Battalion, so do you know when he enlisted and when he was posted to the 1/5th?  

Is there anything on the photo to confirm that it dates from John Thomson’s time with the 1/5th Battalion rather than the 14th ? 

From the appearance of the men, the number in the photo (I counted 47), and the equipment some are holding, my guess is that the photo has been taken before or after a training exercise, and standing in front of a hut in training camp (which may well be Ripon, if it is the 1/5th Argylls),  

Steven

Hi Steven, I’ve not picked this string of research up for a long while due to finding nothing but thinnest unit info first time round, no dates I’m afraid. On re-analysing the pic I would suggest this is a signals unit. 15-16 of those with visible arms are sporting cross flag signals section insignia with 9 or so holding rolled up signalling flags. Several telescopes and lamp signalling items on display.  Could well be on completion of signals trading course. John was from Polmont. Where did your grandfather hail from and what was his number. 

cheers

alan 

Hi, Alan.

Harry was from Rothesay om the Isle of Bute, and his number was 2529 then 200797.

Your suggestion about the photo showing signalling training seems very plausible.  Is John on the photo?

I believe that the 14th Battalion was raised in early 1915 in the Stirling area, which would explain why John, as a man from Polmont, enlisted with that Battalion.  However, for him to be transferred to the 1/5th would normally imply that he was wounded at some time with the 14th, and after recovering in the UK was then posted to the 1/5th..  Does that accord with any information you have about John?

Bye for now,

Steven

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steven, only record we have is him being in the 1/5th Argyll’s. He’s in the pic 3rd left on back row. Only other pic I have of him is in the attached family group wearing the kilt here, next to my GF,his two sisters and brother seated also killed in the war, also my  my GGF. 

IMG_0168.jpeg

Alan,

You have a Harry MacNab with the 1/5th Argylls.  Any relation to Henry MacNab with the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade? Or related to the MacNabs on Watergate in Rothesay? (My great grandfather and his brother had the plumbing shop across the street). Henry left quite an archive of photos and letters that are with the Scottish War Museum at Edinburgh Castle. I have not been able to get into the archive yet, but I have seen some of his photos and letters.

Mike Morrison

Mike, a question for Steven I think. I would be very interested in what you uncover in the archive. Happy hunting. 

alan

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again, Mike.

My grandfather Harry of the 1/5th A&SH was Henry Robertson Macnab, son of John Macnab of JW Macnab Tinsmiths in Watergate, Rothesay.  Henry, whom you are referring to, was also named Henry Robertson Macnab, and he was son of Alex Macnab, carpenters (and later undertakers).  John and Alex were brothers, and shared the premises at the Watergate. (which still stands, as the offices of Alex Macnab Funeral Directors, though the workshop behind has gone).

It was Henry who served in the Bute Mountain Battery, with Harry's brother (i.e. Henry's cousin) Russell.

I have read Henry's letters at the Scottish National War Museum, but they had no trace of any of his photos since you and I were last in touch directly.  Have you been able to get an assurance from SNWM that they have Henry's photos?

Steven

Alan,

Thanks for identifying your Great Uncle John in the photos.  I can give you more information about the action at Wytschaete on 28 September 1918 in which he was killed, if you are interested.

Steven

Hi Steven, yes must interested in anything you might have. If you could pm me it would be most appreciated. 
cheers 

alan

• 2 months later...
On 05/12/2023 at 17:00, bullyman said:

Pic added, thoughts welcome 

CheersIMG_5998.jpeg.b663507786716babfe358ac6b50dd85e.jpeg

alan

Hi Alan my grandfather was in the 5th A&SH , he was from Gourock . Would he  be in this photo possibly? His name was Robert Sim. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, angela ohare said:

Hi Alan my grandfather was in the 5th A&SH , he was from Gourock . Would he  be in this photo possibly? His name was Robert Sim. 

Welcome to the GWF

I have tagged @bullyman who may see your post or you can send a personal message just click on the name and open the dialog box message.

That said a little more information might help other to help you if you wish.

Hi Angela, have you any other basic info on your GF? I’ve struggled to date the pic but John enlisted in 14th in July 1915 and was moved into the 1/5th. Being KIA 28th Sept 1918. Beyond that I’m really only guessing so far. Every possibility he could be in the pic 
regards 

alan

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right,a new lay out to me . Here is my grandfather(Robert Sim) who survived Gallipoli and the western front. He was in the 5th A&SH from 1914 . I believe he was wounded along the way at some point. He came from Gourock and was in the same "troop?" as Colonel Darroch . He remained a private for the duration 

FB_IMG_1714043991389.jpg

Edited by angela ohare

I will have some place I think. Vince Gillan from the McLean museum had found out this information about his service. I had no idea till a few years ago . I'll go back in to that and see 

Angela