Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC or Devons?

NR72

Yes, I could see the pre-war service with ASC although the details put up for that has #ET/51256 in the context of his 1912 service.  At least that's how I saw it.

So, discharged from ASC Jan 1915 #T/130.

Re-enlisted by late 1915 early 1916 (baby photo) not commenting whether this is ASC or Devons badge but next known event so far is his service with 8th Devons. Then it appears remained with Devons until 1919 then RASC again.

Or is it ASC T/130 - ASC ? - Devons 19114 - RASC ET#

And he was from St Mawes.

TEW

18 minutes ago, TEW said:

Yes, I could see the pre-war service with ASC although the details put up for that has #ET/51256 in the context of his 1912 service.  At least that's how I saw it.

Re-enlisted by late 1915 early 1916 (baby photo) not commenting whether this is ASC or Devons badge but next known event so far is his service with 8th Devons. Then it appears remained with Devons until 1919 then RASC again.

TEW

Hi Tew, yes he was a relative of mine , my great Aunties Husband. Heres another photo, Baby must be 18 months by this point

img018.jpg

1 hour ago, TEW said:

TEW

I’m unclear how to ascertain at what point he left the Devon’s, whether it was 1918, or before, without access to a surviving service record.  We know the ASC became RASC in late 1918, and I seem to recall that renumbering to 6-digits (?) took place at the same time.  Was it not said that the RASC applied for his medals?  If so then presumably he transferred towards the end of the war, perhaps after being wounded, or maybe unwell and no longer fit for infantry.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’m unclear how to ascertain at what point he left the Devon’s, whether it was 1918 or before.  We know the ASC became RASC in late 1918, and I seem to recall that renumbering to 6-digits (?) took place at the same time.

Yes i have no documentation whatsoever to know his movements in the Devons, quite frustrating

His medal roll gives a few men with the ET number sequence. Some have previous infantry service and time in ASC before the ET RASC numbers.

Others are just ASC - RASC. Find a service/pension record for any of these men and that should date the ET number?

Or find any of these on a casualty list with their previous numbers should point towards a date. IE. I failed to find any ET numbers on casualty lists.

TEW

The prefix ‘ET’ (Horse Transport) denote post Armistice re-enlistments under Army Order 4/19. Used for Armies of Occupation and volunteers for one years further service. 

Just now, jay dubaya said:

The prefix ‘ET’ (Horse Transport) denote post Armistice re-enlistments under Army Order 4/19. Used for Armies of Occupation and volunteers for one years further service. 

Thank you that interesting, i know he worked with horses , and he did after the war in Canada

43 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Brilliant Jay, that seems to confirm that he must have been discharged, or been demobilised, and then re-enlisted post war rather than transferred during the war.  It seems quite possible then that he served with the Devon’s until the wars end.

Edited by FROGSMILE

43 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

So he may have a record with the MOD if he served into 1920. Not on the dataset released by the MOD but worth pursuing.

TEW

I'm not sure if the debate about the opening post has been settled at all but, having collected and studied the badges of the ASC/RASC/RCT over many years, I can state without any doubt whatsoever that the badge in the opening post is definitely not ASC. It is Devonshire Regiment for sure.    Pete.

4 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I'm not sure if the debate about the opening post has been settled at all but, having collected and studied the badges of the ASC/RASC/RCT over many years, I can state without any doubt whatsoever that the badge in the opening post is definitely not ASC. It is Devonshire Regiment for sure.    Pete.

Thanks for the confirmation Pete, it’s always good to have your take on it.

6 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Thanks Pete

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thanks for the confirmation Pete, it’s always good to have your take on it.

That would mean he was in the Devons in very early 1915, why would he be unfit for the Yeomanry but be fit for Infantry? 

Well, looks as though he was in the Devons by late 1915. How long he had off between Jan 1915 and joining Devons is not known.

Plenty of men were discharged on various medical grounds or unlikely to become an efficient soldier but re-enlisted with ease elsewhere. Those that didn't would be conscripted later anyway. 

TEW

26 minutes ago, NR72 said:

That would mean he was in the Devons in very early 1915, why would he be unfit for the Yeomanry but be fit for Infantry? 

I'm not sure where you get 'Yeomanry' from.  You said he was ASC before the war, which was a service support corps with lower fitness requirements.  The fact is that when conscription was introduced in 1916 there was a review of fitness categories that resulted in more categories, including for example a category for infantry medically suitable for home garrisons only.  Under these revised circumstances men who were previously categorised in lower gradings were elevated to make a better use of them.  Basically the Nation and the Army realised that every man was needed and it was more a case of finding the right peg for the right hole and being a lot less fussy.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I'm not sure where you get 'Yeomanry' from.  You said he was ASC before the war, which was a service support corps with lower fitness requirements.  The fact is that when conscription was introduced in 1916 there was a review of fitness categories that resulted in more categories, including for example a category for infantry medically suitable for home garrisons only.  Under these revised circumstances men who were previously categorised in lower gradings were elevated to make a better use of them.  Basically the Nation and the Army realised that every man was needed and it was more a case of finding the right peg for the right hole and being a lot less fussy.

From his service docs sorry not yeomanry?  he joined the Territorials South Eastern Mounted Brigade Territorials,  I posted them on the first page,  he was mobilised on outbreak of war , then rendered unfit,  so he must have joined the Devons very swiftly as the baby he is pictured with was born in September 1914 

13 minutes ago, TEW said:

Well, looks as though he was in the Devons by late 1915. How long he had off between Jan 1915 and joining Devons is not known.

Plenty of men were discharged on various medical grounds or unlikely to become an efficient soldier but re-enlisted with ease elsewhere. Those that didn't would be conscripted later anyway. 

TEW

By the age of the baby it would have been early 1915 

38 minutes ago, NR72 said:

From his service docs sorry not yeomanry?  he joined the Territorials South Eastern Mounted Brigade Territorials,  I posted them on the first page,  he was mobilised on outbreak of war , then rendered unfit,  so he must have joined the Devons very swiftly as the baby he is pictured with was born in September 1914 

Yes, mounted brigade but you said as ASC?  The Yeomanry were the auxiliary cavalry regiments who did the actual fighting.  The ASC supplied them.  A mounted brigade had a fighting role with its cavalry and attached artillery, but also included all its support elements, such as ASC, medical, etc.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Yes, from TLLT. Constituent parts of a Mounted Brigade.

Each included a thee regiments of Yeomanry; a battery and ammunition column of the Royal Horse Artillery; a Transport and Supply Column which was a mounted unit of the Army Service Corps; a Field Ambulance of the Royal Army Medical Corps; and a Signal Troop of the Royal Engineers.

So they had Artillery, Yeomanry & RAMC I suspect. So he's ASC Transport or Supply.

TEW

35 minutes ago, TEW said:

Yes, from TLLT. Constituent parts of a Mounted Brigade.

Each included a thee regiments of Yeomanry; a battery and ammunition column of the Royal Horse Artillery; a Transport and Supply Column which was a mounted unit of the Army Service Corps; a Field Ambulance of the Royal Army Medical Corps; and a Signal Troop of the Royal Engineers.

So they had Artillery, Yeomanry & RAMC I suspect. So he's ASC Transport or Supply.

TEW

Yes, I too think he was probably from the ASC supply and transport column.

12 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, I too think he was probably from the ASC supply and transport column.

Then deemed unfit , then volunteered for Devons ? Fought with Devons until end of war then re enlisted with RASC ?

2 minutes ago, NR72 said:

Then deemed unfit , then volunteered for Devons ? Fought with Devons until end of war then re enlisted with RASC ?

Yes.  It's not that unusual.  Things changed significantly once conscription was introduced in 1916.  If you search within the forum for Medical Grading/Grades you will see quite a bit about it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes.  It's not that unusual.  Things changed significantly once conscription was introduced in 1916.  If you search within the forum for Medical Grading/Grades you will see quite a bit about it.

Thanks appreciate it . Now if I could only ascertain where he went with the Devons , but I guess that's going to stay a mystery 

1 minute ago, NR72 said:

Thanks appreciate it . Now if I could only ascertain where he went with the Devons , but I guess that's going to stay a mystery 

Unless his battalion (numbered) can be identified, yes.

His roll states 8th Devons so perhaps their diary? Although you don't have a precise date 1916 onwards that he joined them in the field.

TEW