Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC or Devons?

NR72

It has the appearance of the noticeably more sharply pointed star and proud crown of the Devonshire Regiment.

B2F233B4-4B7F-4997-9C9C-CDD6D428BCF2.jpeg

A7B49DE6-7B83-44E4-8D29-ABE274CE2611.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

This is confusing because during this time he was still with South Eastern Mounted Brigade (Territorials) until he was deemed unfit 15/01/1915 

South Eastern Mounted  Brigade  (Territorials)

Joined – 27/02/1912

Address- 6 South Bridge Avenue , Croydon

ASC – Driver  

ET/51256

Penshurst Kent  Annual Camp  - 22/05/1912 – 09/06/1912

Folkestone Kent – Annual Camp - 30/05/1913 – 13/06/1913

Mobilised for War – 05/08/1914

Discharged – Unfit  15/01/1915

Re- enlisted 07/03/1919 RASC

Devonshires  - Number - 19114

Edited by NR72
more info

Devons, I fancy. Who is he?

Acknown

2 minutes ago, Acknown said:

Devons, I fancy. Who is he?

Acknown

If we knew who he was, then the age of the infant should home in on whether Devonshire or ASC-  It's my home area and the badge looks a little too large and the pointy bits too straight -  Devonshire badges bend backwards (Like the one in the top drawer of my desk!!)

If we knew who he was, then the age of the infant should home in on whether Devonshire or ASC-  It's my home area and the badge looks a little too large and the pointy bits too straight -  Devonshire badges bend backwards (Like the one in the top drawer of my desk!!)

Details uploaded above , I have taken the age of the child into consideration , just need to see when she was born , actual date 

Bent backwards if deliberately so by the soldiers perhaps, but issued with a flat back, so I don’t think we can view that as a substantial factor.

The Devon’s badge has straight edges, the ASC’s is layered.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, NR72 said:

Even though I have his army number for Devons can't find any of his service with them 

It might well be home service only in which case it won’t appear on medal index cards, that only record overseas service.  It’s only if mentioned on a surviving full service record that you might find details.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Looks like a simplified SD Jacket.

Yes, and a 1905 cap, so a typical appearance for late summer 1914 through to early winter 1915.

8 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It might well be home service only in which case it won’t appear on medal index cards, that only record overseas service.  It’s only if mentioned on a surviving full service record that you might find details.

I got his devons number from his medal card , it mentions asc and devons 

16 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Bent backwards if deliberately so by the soldiers perhaps, but issued with a flat back, so I don’t think we can view that as a substantial factor.

The Devon’s badge has straight edges, the ASC’s is layered.

Alas, mine does not- given to me by the late Brigadier "Speedy" Bredin- alas, my military career was  army cadets at school only-

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, and a 1905 cap, so a typical appearance for late summer 1914 through to early winter 1915.

Baby was born September 1914

On 13/01/2021 at 18:36, NR72 said:

Baby was born September 1914

Photo not long before Christmas then I would guess.

Alas, mine does not- given to me by the late Brigadier "Speedy" Bredin- alas, my military career was  army cadets at school only-

Yes I understand, some soldiers bent them into a slight curve to conform with the curvature of the front of the forage cap.

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

Photo not long before Christmas then I would guess.

Yes-concur on that. Though Baby looks a bit chunky for a 3 month old-   It does look like a classic family pic. before the band start playing "The Girl He Left Behind Him"-  His unit date of entry into theatre of war may narrow the odds even more as to when in 1914-15

6 minutes ago, NR72 said:

I got his devons number from his medal card , it mentions asc and devons 

If Devon’s mentioned on MIC then he had overseas service with them.  The question is whether before or after ASC.

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

If Devon’s mentioned on MIC then he had overseas service with them.  The question is whether before or after ASC.

Apparently he used to talk of the bad time he had of it , could it be he was a driver within the Devons ?

2 minutes ago, NR72 said:

Apparently he used to talk of the bad time he had of it , could it be he was a driver within the Devons ?

He might have been a part of the Devonshire battalion’s transport section yes, but that was confined to horsed transport.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Surely if his medal pair is on RASC roll and 8th Devons is given in previous unit column that should be the service sequence? Although that contradicts a previous post.

Roll is in ET number sequence so finding other records for these men should give a date when these ET numbers were issued.

ET/51257 Burvill on same roll also re-enlisted RASC in 1919. He has a 14-15 Star which shows his original T4 number and to me it looks like the ET number is from his 1919 enlistment.

Ditto ET/51261 Hunter. His mic shows 3 units in order - ASC T3#, MFP#, ASC ET#.

Not from St. Mawes I take it, given the SE connection?

TEW

11 minutes ago, TEW said:

Surely if his medal pair is on RASC roll and 8th Devons is given in previous unit column that should be the service sequence? Although that contradicts a previous post.

Roll is in ET number sequence so finding other records for these men should give a date when these ET numbers were issued.

ET/51257 Burvill on same roll also re-enlisted RASC in 1919. He has a 14-15 Star which shows his original T4 number and to me it looks like the ET number is from his 1919 enlistment.

Ditto ET/51261 Hunter. His mic shows 3 units in order - ASC T3#, MFP#, ASC ET#.

Not from St. Mawes I take it, given the SE connection?

TEW

Except that according to the OP he was pre-war ASC TF and mobilised for a year in 1914.  Looking at this again I think that that’s correct and that I called it wrong with the cap badges, which are difficult to tell apart on such a fuzzy image.  I think he was probably then conscripted in 1916, given a medical grading suitable for infantry and sent to the Devon’s.  At some point he must have managed to return to the ASC and then was renumbered RASC under the new numbering system in 1919.

Edited by FROGSMILE