Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Lieutenant "LSR"

Jack2020

On 23/12/2020 at 17:41, TullochArd said:

The "LSM" ribbon referred to could easily be a MSM ribbon as it is identical to the Army LSGC with the exception of a small white stripe in the centre.

If wiki is to believed the central stripe was added to the MSM ribbon in 1917, so for a small period of time in 1916-17 the LSGC & MSM ribbons were identical i.e. Crimson with white edges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritorious_Service_Medal_(United_Kingdom)

Charlie

On 02/11/2022 at 08:38, charlie2 said:

........ so for a small period of time in 1916-17 the LSGC & MSM ribbons were identical i.e. Crimson with white edges.

..... that makes lots of sense Charlie.  The known facts fit date wise to support the MSM "transitional" criteria phase and ribbon "He suffered a gunshot wound to the left side of his face on 26 July (1916) and was evacuated to England. He returned to France in October and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal on 1 January 1917 for his efforts during the fighting in 1916."

(MIC for MSM 01.01.17 "Devotion" in "France" whilst serving as 605 Sjt,17 Australian Infantry Regiment)

Edited by TullochArd

Thankyou all. Jack's medals are in the Australian War Memorial, including his MSM. 

Meritorious Service Medal (George V): Sergeant J M Lyons, 17 Battalion, AIF | Australian War Memorial (awm.gov.au)

I see the MSM was issued with just the two white edge stripes until 1917, the same as the British Army LSGC Medal, then the central white stripe was added?

Can anyone tell me the Army Order that added the central stripe to the MSM please?

Jack's award was published in the London Gazette on 1 January 1917, so I think it was very likely he was issued a ribbon with only the two white edge stripes only, exactly the same ribbon as the 'LSR Ribbon' for the LSGC Medal? 

Edited by David Lyons