Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with regiment identification please!

EastUpperGooner

8 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

It's a Regimental medal.  The hallmark date suggests it was struck just prior to the amalgamation of 3DG and 6DG in 1922 which may indicate a reason for it's  "issue"

Thanks Tulloch, that's certainly interesting. I'm tempted to try and clean it to see if there's any faint inscription that I'm missing. 

2 hours ago, EastUpperGooner said:

Thanks Tulloch, that's certainly interesting. I'm tempted to try and clean it to see if there's any faint inscription that I'm missing. 

I agree with Jim Strawbridge that it’s an uninscribed sports medal.  These were commonly organised during Master at Arms Competitions that blended martial arts with potted sports matches between Squadrons.  The idea was that they would be inscribed after presentation to the winners and runners up, but if there were intervening distractions, that sometimes did not occur.  In more recent times the quality of the medals has often been very poor, but back then the quality was quite high, especially in the more prestigious regiments where income from canteens was allowed to grow and be used for a range of different purposes.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I agree with Jim Strawbridge that it’s an uninscribed sports medal.  These were commonly organised during Master at Arms Competitions that blended martial arts with potted sports matches between Squadrons.  The idea was that they would be inscribed after presentation to the winners and runners up, but if there were intervening distractions, that sometimes did not occur.  In more recent times the quality of the medals has often been very poor, but back then the quality was quite high, especially in the more prestigious regiments where income from canteens was allowed to grow and be used for a range of different purposes.

Absolutely.  A Regimental (sports/skills) medal.