Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal for Gallantry awarded to 176 Cpl SH Ferrier 10th Light Horse Regiment AIF for Hill 60 Gallipoli action

gilly100

Ian: Thanks. My sister and I between us and another distant cousin have worked out who Stuart is, thanks. I think he helped John Hamilton with his Throssell book. Just in case we have difficulty tracking our Ferriers in Vic, though, would you mind sending details to me (removed) Not sure how private message works on this blog of yours!

• 1 month later...

For info of those who are not aware of the reason why belated or retrospective awards are granted, Defence will only consider approving such awards if new evidence emerges which was not available at the time, or there is evidence of maladministration in the way recommendations were processed. In Sid’s case there was no new evidence, but maladministration was rife right through the chain of command handling 10 ALH Regt recommendations. LTGEN Monro tried to fix the problem but failed. Current CDF and GG had better luck. 

Have now made contact with Stuart and we had a good chat and exchange of documents. Thanks for help. David Stephens

• 10 months later...

Though Stuart and I don’t know each other, we are fourth cousins thanks to our great great grandmothers being sisters (Elizabeth and Ellen Sutton). There are lots of Ferriers in the Echuca Victoria area which I’m sure they are very proud and pleased that Sutton has received recognition at long last. I’m not sure whether any know. I only found out tonight, thanks to this site. If there’s any family that wish to make contact me, please do so.

On 29/04/2021 at 13:14, Honest History said:

Ian: Thanks. My sister and I between us and another distant cousin have worked out who Stuart is, thanks. I think he helped John Hamilton with his Throssell book. Just in case we have difficulty tracking our Ferriers in Vic, though, would you mind sending details to me (removed) Not sure how private message works on this blog of yours!

Did you have any luck tracking relatives? I’m a distant cousin thanks to the Hanlon/ Sutton family. I do know the local Ferriers in the Echuca area.