Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where was this photograph taken ?

RaySearching

On 02/12/2020 at 17:52, RaySearching said:

have copied this photo from another thread

What thread was  that? A higher res scan is needed to nail the cap badges.

28 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Personally the more I scrutinise the badges in the OP photo the more the base and curve of their badges looks far too wide to be PAOW Yorkshire Regt.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

.......... the photo within the original thread (below) confirms a Yorkshire Regiment connection to me......and maybe even B Company, 9th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment? 

Edited by TullochArd

I wonder if the cap badge is a light infantry one though the quality of the photo is a drawback

Simon

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Personally the more I scrutinise the badges in the OP photo the more the base and curve of their badges looks far too wide to be PAOW Yorkshire Regt.

I agree.

Also the  vertical part (that should be a cross superimposed on a letter 'A' is extremely wide and possibly rounded in the original photo, far wider  and less linear than the GH badges I've seen.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

2 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Working on the premise that the soldiers shown in the postcard are soldiers of the Yorkshire Regiment

(not necessarily the 9th Bn)

The regiment headquarters of the Yorkshire Regiment were in WW1 based in Richmond Yorks

It follows and is quite likely that the photo of the soldiers marching was taken in the locality of Richmond 

Not necessarily so, I'm afraid. For example, in 1914 the 1st Battalion was in the Punjab and the 2nd in Guernsey; the two TF Battalions (4th and 5th) were based in Northallerton and Scarborough respectively. Although several Service battalions were raised at Richmond, all would have been well away, probably before rifles and uniforms were issued.

During peacetime, too, the two Regular battalions would almost certainly have been miles away from Richmond.

The detachment seen in the photograph of the unveiling of the war memorial (and a jolly fine memorial it is too, I might say) would probably have been from the Depot, not necessarily from one of the Regular battalions.

However, I do think we can pretty definitively discount the men as being from the 1st Battalion in the Great War. They spent the entire conflict in the Punjab. ;) 

2 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Working on the premise that the soldiers shown in the postcard are soldiers of the Yorkshire Regiment

(not necessarily the 9th Bn)

The regiment headquarters of the Yorkshire Regiment were in WW1 based in Richmond Yorks

It follows and is quite likely that the photo of the soldiers marching was taken in the locality of Richmond 

Not necessarily so, I'm afraid. For example, in 1914 the 1st Battalion was in the Punjab and the 2nd in Guernsey; the two TF Battalions (4th and 5th) were based in Northallerton and Scarborough respectively. Although several Service battalions were raised at Richmond, all would have been well away, probably before rifles and uniforms were issued.

During peacetime, too, the two Regular battalions would almost certainly have been miles away from Richmond.

The detachment seen in the photograph of the unveiling of the war memorial (and a jolly fine memorial it is too, I might say) would probably have been from the Depot, not necessarily from one of the Regular battalions.

However, I do think we can pretty definitively discount the men as being from the 1st Battalion in the Great War. They spent the entire conflict in the Punjab. ;) 

2 hours ago, TullochArd said:

.......... the photo within the original thread (below) confirms a Yorkshire Regiment connection to me......and maybe even B Company, 9th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment? 

The photo of the troops marching with bridge behind don’t really have cap badges like the Yorkshire Regt if you compare closely.

33 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The photo of the troops marching with bridge behind don’t really have cap badges like the Yorkshire Regt if you compare closely.

I still see the Green Howard (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment) badge you posted earlier.

Added to this the 1914 paperwork attached to the parallel William Overend thread which is the source of the OP photo indicates he was in B Company, 9th (Garrison?) Battalion Yorkshire Regiment ......... which was a "Green Howard" battalion ....... ?

Edited by TullochArd

1 hour ago, TullochArd said:

I still see the Green Howard (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment) badge you posted earlier.

Added to this the 1914 paperwork attached to the parallel William Overend thread which is the source of the OP photo indicates he was in B Company, 9th (Garrison?) Battalion Yorkshire Regiment ......... which was a "Green Howard" battalion ....... ?

I don’t doubt the soldier quoted’s unit, just the cap badge of the marching soldiers in the photo. We don’t have any watertight guarantee that the two are indisputably connected, unless I’ve missed something key.

Edited by FROGSMILE

It's not possible to say with certain what the cap badges are.

Frogsmile's posted image of a known Green Howards badge is a first class image.

For interest, the width of that badge is 440 pixels.

I have taken crops of two badges from the OP photo.

Man no.5, and man no.9 in this nearest column to the camera, they are both looking straight at the camera.

The badges of each man are 8 and 5 pixels wide respectively.

I think you need at least 30pixels wide to have a reasonable chance of a positive ID.

I've blown up the badges  belonging to (Left) man No.5 and (centre) man no.9 , and reduced Frogsmile's image (obviously on right) from 440 to 300pixels to have the same dimensions for comparison:

GH03.jpg

I'll ask the OP on the other thread to re-scan.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I don’t doubt the soldier quoted’s unit, just the cap badge of the marching soldiers in the photo. We don’t have any watertight guarantee that the two are indisputably connected, unless I’ve missed something key.

....... you've not missed something key.

The centre of the badge fits, it’s just the base with what seems a wider curve than the PAOW York’s would be, and which appears quite pronounced when viewed against the dark background of the soldiers caps.

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The only thing I know is that they were both in my Dads possesion my Dad being John James Overend the son of the William named in my original post My Mam and Dads storage was a biscuit tin no names no dates !

2 hours ago, patsmb said:

The only thing I know is that they were both in my Dads possesion my Dad being John James Overend the son of the William named in my original post My Mam and Dads storage was a biscuit tin no names no dates !

I understand the frustration and it’s quite natural to try and make sense of things by speculation.  It’s just best to be careful that you don’t assume something is so just because it fits neatly together.  A better scan of the photo might perhaps reveal more.

Collar badges.  One aspect missing in deliberations is the size and shape of the collar badges.  The collar badges of PAOW Yorkshire Regiment were quite small and a noticeably different shape to those in the photo of the marching men and bridge. 

6F2DEF92-CDA4-4C13-AD05-F5CAF1CABBAB.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

22 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

cap badge of the marching soldiers in the photo.

If it was a light infantry battalion, I'd say it could be DLI.

My guess at Light Infantry is based on the bottom of the badge looking curved enough to be the horn of such a regiment.

Simon

Yes I’m increasingly leaning towards light infantry, as mentioned on Thursday at 11.38, the distinctive bottom curvature seems the key aspect.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I am a total newbie to the mysterious, dark green world of the Green Howards and therefore should probably sit back and keep quiet.   However, GWF is an established forum where harmonious debate and discussion is clearly encouraged, and generally gratefully received, by those seeking further knowledge.

That's my get out clause covered so on with the offering ....... so be kind in shooting me down ............ could the disputed and curious "bottom curvature" of the badge anything at all to do with the following attachment?

s-l1000.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

5 hours ago, TullochArd said:

I am a total newbie to the mysterious, dark green world of the Green Howards and therefore should probably sit back and keep quiet.   However, GWF is an established forum where harmonious debate and discussion is clearly encouraged, and generally gratefully received, by those seeking further knowledge.

That's my get out clause covered so on with the offering ....... so be kind in shooting me down ............ could the disputed and curious "bottom curvature" of the badge anything at all to do with the following attachment?

s-l1000.jpg

From memory I think that pattern of badge related to the Volunteer Battalion of APOW Yorkshire Regt, in recognition that it formed a Service Company to support its regular parent.  I’m not sure off hand if the successor TF battalion adopted the badge with honour, but I’ll check tomorrow and report back.  Although it would give a different visual appearance to the centre of the badge, I don’t think it distorts the width and it’s this latter aspect that doesn’t match the insignia of the marching troops.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 03/12/2020 at 04:22, RaySearching said:

I have copied this photo from another thread as I was intrigued by where the photo may have been taken

650891260_yorkshireregimentww12copy.jpg.faef9096284b6019a1c409e91c7d4e3c.jpg

I think it must have been taken in England as arrow i have added is pointing to a British policeman in uniform

The second arrow is pointing to what appears to look like a vessel in the background ? ?

Having searched various locations to try and match up the image's location

I am leaning to the photograph's location as Folkestone Harbour Kent 

can anybody conform this or offer an alternative location 

Previous thread containing the photo

Ray

Hi Ray I posted the photo in realtion to my Grandad William Overend but have no idea where it was taken Grandads details were put on the original post ie his service book etc Cheers Pat

On 03/12/2020 at 11:38, FROGSMILE said:

Definitely 1920s I agree, not just the collar badges, but the caps too with their much broader peaks, and Michelle’s picked up the ladies fashions as brilliant corroboration.  I can’t make up my mind about the cap badges, but I think the base of the badge is too wide to be PAOW Yorks. Perhaps Loyal N Lancs, or a light infantry regiment (KSLI/OBLI), I’ll be interested to see what others think.  They don’t have the look of regulars, there are too many very young men amongst the ranks, so I would suggest they are a TF battalion arriving at Summer camp, probably having just detrained and marching away from the station.

NB.  The stacks are factory chimneys I think and the bridge possibly carrying the railway to the station.

I think they are DLI going by the general outline of the cap badges that are anywhere near being in focus. The rounded blobs at the top of them look more like the shape of the crown on the DLI badge than the tops of the other LI candidates.    Pete.

41 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I think they are DLI going by the general outline of the cap badges that are anywhere near being in focus. The rounded blobs at the top of them look more like the shape of the crown on the DLI badge than the tops of the other LI candidates.    Pete.

Thanks Pete, that certainly seems feasible.  I was hoping you’d look in and comment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Perhaps a Durham expert might know if this location is in the North East?

Well, I lived in Durham for two and a half years but am no expert. Possibly Elvet Bridge across the Wear - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvet_Bridge#/media/File:Durham_Elvet_Bridge01rect_2010-09-10.jpg

4 minutes ago, Robin Garrett said:

Well, I lived in Durham for two and a half years but am no expert. Possibly Elvet Bridge across the Wear - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvet_Bridge#/media/File:Durham_Elvet_Bridge01rect_2010-09-10.jpg

Thanks,

I've looked at that one.

Elvet Bridge again has pointed arches.

There's one beneath the cathedral that looks to have round arches, but I'm not sure that one has enough arches.