Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where was this photograph taken ?

RaySearching

I have copied this photo from another thread as I was intrigued by where the photo may have been taken

650891260_yorkshireregimentww12copy.jpg.faef9096284b6019a1c409e91c7d4e3c.jpg

I think it must have been taken in England as arrow i have added is pointing to a British policeman in uniform

The second arrow is pointing to what appears to look like a vessel in the background ? ?

Having searched various locations to try and match up the image's location

I am leaning to the photograph's location as Folkestone Harbour Kent 

can anybody conform this or offer an alternative location 

Previous thread containing the photo

Ray

I can only agree that the photograph was taken in the UK. The telegraph pole looks very typical to me, as does the bridge to a lesser extent.

As to where exactly, I have no idea, unfortunately.

Cheers Martin B

I agree with the policeman and the collar titles but can't see the ship. Are you referring to the 3 'stacks' being funnels or have I again missed something more obvious?

Simon

I don't think it's a ship either.

If it was a ship, then you'd get to it up hill over that bridge over a river, which strikes me as being slightly odd geography.

Agree that it's 1920s, I think the women's hats have that 20s look.

That very much looks like a canal or river running through the arches. The 'stacks' look like a Victorian gas works. 

Edited by Gunner 87

• Admin

Going on the ladies fashions, I would also say post War. Cloche hats and shorter skirts. 

Michelle 

11 hours ago, themonsstar said:

The photo looks like it was taken in the 1920s to me. As you can just see the collar badge on some of the soldiers. 

Thanks Thermonsstar 

Collar dogs, How did I miss them

There is also blurred images which may be medal ribbons on some of the soldiers uniforms

My initial thoughts were that this was the 9th Bn Yorks,  prior to embarking for France   (well out there with my thoughts

I spent too much time looking at bridges on the internet,  when i should have been looking at the postcard for  additional clues

Regarding the "ship"  when I enlarged the image the outline of a ship could  be seen, It could be that i was seeing what i wanted to see 

Agreed the postcard,  Post Great War or shortly afterwards 

Many Thanks for all the replies 

will have a look at some more bridges !

Ray

I too have spent far too much time looking at images of four and five arch bridges over rivers in the UK.

Enjoyable as that is :) is it possible from the enlargement to work out if it is stone or brick built? And are there any more details visible about what is in the distance behind the left hand side of the tree trunk? Is it a dwelling or some kind of monument \ park pavilion or bandstand.

Cheers,

Peter

Definitely 1920s I agree, not just the collar badges, but the caps too with their much broader peaks, and Michelle’s picked up the ladies fashions as brilliant corroboration.  I can’t make up my mind about the cap badges, but I think the base of the badge is too wide to be PAOW Yorks. Perhaps Loyal N Lancs, or a light infantry regiment (KSLI/OBLI), I’ll be interested to see what others think.  They don’t have the look of regulars, there are too many very young men amongst the ranks, so I would suggest they are a TF battalion arriving at Summer camp, probably having just detrained and marching away from the station.

NB.  The stacks are factory chimneys I think and the bridge possibly carrying the railway to the station.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The "enormous rock" looks more like a hay rick through my specs . I'm by no means certain but I think the viaduct is stone built and appears to be buttressed which may narrow it down to several dozen candidates !

Simon

2 hours ago, mancpal said:

The "enormous rock" looks more like a hay rick through my specs

Yes, probably so. It is therefore unlikely to be there now...

When the possibility of Yorkshire was raised yesterday , I also checked out the Yarm Road bridge.

I don't think it is that, as the bridge in the old photo has half round arches , whereas to my eyes, some of the arches of Yarm are pointy. (Sorry, don't know the correct architectural term is...).

I think it is post-war (and likely TF)  One of the NCOs is clearly wearing ribbons:

image.png.4d098c182f33120d41b4021fb79e416f.png

In addition, the bridge is flat and the supports are very strong indeed-  this is most likely a railway bridge.  And given the solidity of the beast, likely to be a main line.

I think it is post-war (and likely TF)  

Pedantically, of course, TA by then.

On 03/12/2020 at 22:52, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

some of the arches of Yarm are pointy. (Sorry, don't know the correct architectural term is...).

I believe Lutyens always referred to them as 'pointy'.

Working on the premise that the soldiers shown in the postcard are soldiers of the Yorkshire Regiment

(not necessarily the 9th Bn)

The regiment headquarters of the Yorkshire Regiment were in WW1 based in Richmond Yorks

It follows and is quite likely that the photo of the soldiers marching was taken in the locality of Richmond 

There are quite a number of stone bridges that cross the River Swale which may be the location shown in the photo

Why are there crowds watching the soldiers march and what may be the occasion?

Attending the unveiling of a war memorial is one possibility

Below is a photo of the unveiling of one of Richmond's war memorial in July 1921

93635788_richmondwarmemorial.JPG.287035a2e78ee556d015c16598f99d53.JPG

39 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Pedantically, of course, TA by then.

I believe Lutyens always referred to them as 'pointy'.

Having just partaken of an online masters degree course in Architecture from a virtual university (whose name escapes me at the moment) located on the Asian sub-continent, I can now state with confidence, that the coommon technical term for a pointy arch is in fact a pointed arch.

Although some of us experts in the field, ahem, refer to them as an 'arc brisé '.

Had a look at Richmond,courtesy of Mr. Google's Apparatus but the likely candidate, Mercury Bridge, doesn't look right.  It's pointy bits don't look the right shape. or as we trained in the great traditions of French architecture would say "bits pointus".  Also, Mercury Bridge has some decorative stonework along the top which I cannot see in the posted pic.- again as those trained in the great traditions of French architecture would say "morceaux nobles"  (nobbly bits) :wub:    But it is obligingly near where the station seems to have been.

On a serious note, it is unlikely to be the unveiling of the Richmond war memorial-the soldiers in that pic. have bayonets fixed. The soldiers in our main pic. do not-nor,it seems,any kit for carrying bayonets about them.

Edited by Guest

Does the cap badge of the men in the photo match? 

A353E745-EC20-40C7-9758-4A6E40AEECF3.jpeg