Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo help

Diana14

The medal is the 1911 King George 5th Coronation medal

From memory I dont think it would be the Delhi Darbar medal as there would be a bar across the ribbon with "Delhi" engraved.

This was the first coronation medal awarded to individuals who did not attend the ceremony

10 minutes ago, adrian 1008 said:

bar across the ribbon with "Delhi"

The bar was awarded to those who qualified for both medals if I recall correctly.

Charlie

Good point I had forgotten that... didnt phrase my answer well  !

Is there now a consensus for what medal it is?

If it's the Durbar I can't see how he could be a Major in HLI in 1911. Certainly not the ones shown on the DD roll.

Different rank is possible but so is different Regiment or both.

There are rolls at TNA for the Coronation rolls, not online. Same thing applies I think, was he a Major in HLI at the time.

I don't disagree with the idea that it could be EG. early 1912 and he's having a nice portrait taken of him with his only medal so far.

I couldn't find other photos of the 6/HLI Majors I posted on previously nor could I be 100% sure they can't be eliminated by having previous campaign medals on view.

Looking online the only difference I can see between the medals is the Coronation ribbon seems to have a pinking shears type edge whereas the DD is a clean edge. Is this correct?

The photo looks much more professional than the usual studio types we see on forum.

Diana14,

Was the photo in post#1 taken through glass in a frame? If so can you remove it and check for a studio or anything on the reverse?

Is it possible to use a loupe or similar to check the edge of the medal ribbon for either a clean cut or the pinking shears cut?

TEW

He’s definitely a Major TEW.  He has the field officers pattern basket hilt, and a single badge (thus a crown given his age) is visible on his right shoulder cord.

Over to others with regards to the medal differentials.

Edited by FROGSMILE

TEW, I only have a photocopy, I've asked for the original from Australia! It might help. You guys are replying faster than my google search on your input!! It's great though, I'm getting closer to who this relatively is, I think! The Fishers seemed to be an affluent family from Glasgow. 

2 hours ago, TEW said:

Coronation ribbon seems to have a pinking shears type edge whereas the DD is a clean edge. Is this correct?

The ribbons are identical, the pinking shears effect is probably just a variation in the weave.

https://www.spink.com/lot/341001047

https://www.liverpoolmedals.com/product/1911-coronation-medal-of-king-george-v

Charlie

The medal yearbook would say its the coronation medal as there is no clasp, also according to M Yearbook 2021 only 136 Durbar clasps were awarded

But I m very junior so happy to be corrected

On 30/11/2020 at 07:28, gnr.ktrha said:

It's an interesting photograph. There are a couple of points about it which leads me to believe that he is a Territorial force Officer. Firstly, his headdress is not of a pattern worn by a regular battalion of the Highland Light Infantry, during this period. They either wore a shako or glengarry bonnet. Secondly, his cap badge has a Long Scroll on it, which is usually a sign of it bearing the South Africa battle honour. There were some O/R cap badges with the Assaye battle honour on a long scroll, but I do not recall ever seeing an Officer's pattern. Thirdly, he does appear to be wearing the rank badge of a Major, however, if he was a Regular Army Officer, his doublet would show additional Gold Braid at the Cuffs and Collar to show it. However, I am sure he is a Major as he is armed with a Scottish Field officers pattern sword, these have a different style of basket to the Highland Pattern Broadsword. As a Field Officer, he would be mounted on a horse and that is one of the reasons for the differences in pattern of sword.
          I think he might be a Major in the 6th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry

I 100% agree with this assessment that he is a Major of the 6th Battalion HLI.  This was the only HLI battalion to wear the diced Balmoral bonnet.  Another clue pointing toward a Territorial officer is the plaid brooch.  The circular thistle wreath surrounding the central badge is of noticeably shorter width than the pattern worn by regular officers. The latter had the numerous battle honours of the regiment superimposed on the wreath, and these are not seen here. One bothersome aspect is that the wearer in the original photograph displays a blackcock feather in his bonnet whereas the battalion historically used an eagle's feather.

Regular                                                                                                                Territorial

H0950-L03616559.jpg.7c35b0ede045c59b7039f01763f50458.jpg  540x360.jpg.93da843538590f7810fdce40da99ed2f.jpg

Edited by gordon92

2 hours ago, adrian 1008 said:

136 Durbar clasps were awarded

Which leaves about 15700 recipients issued with a medal without a bar and nearly 27000 Durbar medal recipients. :)

Charlie

1911 DD roll is on Ancestry. I don't see an HLI Major that fits the bill. Therefore Coronation Medal?

TEW

1 hour ago, TEW said:

1911 DD roll is on Ancestry. I don't see an HLI Major that fits the bill. Therefore Coronation Medal?

TEW

I think it is extremely likely to be the Coronation Medal.  A Territorial officer would not have been in India for the DD unless he had left the 1st Battalion HLI very shortly before the photograph was taken.

3 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Which leaves about 15700 recipients issued with a medal without a bar and nearly 27000 Durbar medal recipients. :)

Charlie

What is your source ? the durbar medal has a greater value, as only 136 according to medal yearbook were awarded to British recipients 

I m interested in learning more

6 hours ago, gordon92 said:

I 100% agree with this assessment that he is a Major of the 6th Battalion HLI.  This was the only HLI battalion to wear the diced Balmoral bonnet.  Another clue pointing toward a Territorial officer is the plaid brooch.  The circular thistle wreath surrounding the central badge is of noticeably shorter width than the pattern worn by regular officers. The latter had the numerous battle honours of the regiment superimposed on the wreath, and these are not seen here. One bothersome aspect is that the wearer in the original photograph displays a blackcock feather in his bonnet whereas the battalion historically used an eagle's feather.

Regular                                                                                                                Territorial

As 6th HLI was a kilted battalion I was completely thrown awry and distracted by his wearing trews.  I’m still puzzled by it now.  If connected with his medal presentation (such as it was) I would have expected a kilt.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just a small addition, he is wearing a wrist watch, which I'm led to believe was unusual pre 1914, and may be another indicator of wealth?

14 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

As 6th HLI was a kilted battalion I was completely thrown awry and distracted by his wearing trews.  I’m still puzzled by it now.  If connected with his medal presentation (such as it was) I would have expected a kilt.

Interesting question......In the regular battalions of the kilted regiments there were several orders of full dress, variable depending on regiment, but always including Review Order and Levee.  In the latter, field officers would have worn the kilt and dirk belt.  I doubt that these orders existed in the Territorial battalions; it is my surmise that field officers preferred to remain in either trews or tartan trousers as a distinction of rank.  This is evident in the photo below circa 1910 of the 6th (Perthshire) battalion Black Watch at a Drumhead service. 

1821462936_BWTerritorialBnCeremonyc1910.jpg.fc03001cd4252f714aa3b1402530c72c.jpg

12 hours ago, askar-perisikan said:

Just a small addition, he is wearing a wrist watch, which I'm led to believe was unusual pre 1914, and may be another indicator of wealth?

And a fine looking one at that.

2 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

Interesting question......In the regular battalions of the kilted regiments there were several orders of full dress, variable depending on regiment, but always including Review Order and Levee.  In the latter, field officers would have worn the kilt and dirk belt.  I doubt that these orders existed in the Territorial battalions; it is my surmise that field officers preferred to remain in either trews or tartan trousers as a distinction of rank.  This is evident in the photo below circa 1910 of the 6th (Perthshire) battalion Black Watch at a Drumhead service.

I was aware of the different orders of dress in the regular battalions, but officers were invariably kilted when the men were.  What you say about the TF battalions makes sense and the photo portrays it very well, thank you.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,  I am still researching my photo and I think I have found someone that fits but would like your opinion on it.

Major R. F. Brebner, he was estate Factor to a Lord Rosebery.  He also has a military background , Ive attached what I have found so far.  Does this seem to fit his medals and uniform?  aHe died in 1952, married to Isabella Fisher. 

Any help much appreciated, just means I can put a name to the photo and stop researching ***.

Many thanks.

Diana.

30850_A000201-01994.jpg

41629_625537_9912-00019.jpg

57 minutes ago, Diana14 said:

Hi all,  I am still researching my photo and I think I have found someone that fits but would like your opinion on it.

Major R. F. Brebner, he was estate Factor to a Lord Rosebery.  He also has a military background , Ive attached what I have found so far.  Does this seem to fit his medals and uniform?  aHe died in 1952, married to Isabella Fisher. 

Any help much appreciated, just means I can put a name to the photo and stop researching ***.

Many thanks.

Diana.

30850_A000201-01994.jpg

41629_625537_9912-00019.jpg

The Highland Light Infantry and the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) are 2 different Regiments.

Tom.

Edited by Tom Lang

As Tom Lang says; two very different regiments, and two very different uniforms - the Cameronians were in rifle green [almost black] and had a very distinctive badge featuring a five-pointed star with a wreath - totally unlike the officer in the OP