Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service number

MAXELLENDE

Here is the sticker of the Dorset Regiment with a beautiful spelling error "DOORSET"
There must have been a lot of spelling and transcription errors.

stickers DORSET2.jpg

stickers DORSET.jpg

1 minute ago, MAXELLENDE said:

There must have been a lot of spelling and transcription errors.

And thus a lot of rejects!

;-) M

P.S. Very interesting to learn that bit more of the whole burial marking 'process' from what you have, literally, unearthed - thanks for sharing :-)

2 minutes ago, MAXELLENDE said:

Here is another error: "LINCOLINS" instead of "LINCOLN"

Looks like you found a rejects factory!

;-) M

3 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

... or the remnants of a metal dump... 

I hope you got I was being tongue in cheek [though always a potentially dodgy thing to do online - irony doesn't always transfer well] - you probably did.

But certainly I do agree with you that your suggestion could be an alternative possibility - certainly a lot of other small stuff seems to have been found thereabouts, perhaps too small for decent scrap value.

Regardless - interesting stuff, but not perhaps not unsurprising, that there should be rejects still to be found.

Especially when you haven't a correction option like I frequently [but possibly not enough] use on my computer!

;-) M

Dear Matlock don't worry even though I'm not English I have a lot of humor ;-)))
I think there is a mix of good and bad stickers. Some were nailed to the crosses and others thrown and bent voluntarily by the maker.

It is obvious that there must remain many interesting objects. I am waiting for the end of the confinement to return to the site. I will keep you informed of my new discoveries.

See also this alternative/duplicate thread on Emily Grant.

:-) M