Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres April 1915 trench maps

NR72

2 hours ago, evanrichards said:

Okay great thankyou, do you think he would have gone to this telephone room to get his orders?

Evan, I am very much a noob on here so maybe wait for someone more knowledgeable.

But my 2p worth. Going to the telephone does make sense but that assumes he knew where the Canadian  HQ was. Also I think I recall that Turnbull says somewhere in the DLI diary that the Canadian HQ said to him that they were only responsible for Canadian troops in the area.  So IMHO going to Canadians wouldn't be my choice

If he was getting orders then I presume his line of command would be something like, OC Monmouths then Bde (84th I believe) . But also remember that the DLI were seeking orders from 85th Bde . So we have 84th Bde, 85th Bde and the Canadians all have units in the area. Confusion abounds.

I would look for 84th Bde War Diary  to see where they were

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353520

Just had a quick look , Bde WR says Frezenberg-Zonnebeke but there's a lot of infomation in hand written messages that could contain information

Edited by Dodram

Okay, having read through there is no info on where Bde HQ would be. I think it is most likely that Perry would have gone to Major Barrett for orders. 

By this time Barrett had pulled out to the Kerelesare crossroad, leaving C coy behind.

image.png.e9226822b748a6511da1fd66ddc83481.png

Does that look like a feasible route?

I think we've narrowed it down to 2 options:

1. Perry returns to Major Barrett's position, above and is killed

2. Perry goes to a shelter used as a first aid post and with a direct communication to 84th Bde HQ, and is killed

I think he would have been killed around the yellow dashed line.

**green area marks C coy monmouths under Perry, this location is wrong. They should be just above the farm buildings not too the left. (I made this a few months ago)

Edited by evanrichards