Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge/uniform identification

VRees

I also found a photo of Jesse's headstone  as he has a memorial on Find a Grave.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/57332286/j-lloyd

I do quite a bit on there, so I'll go in and add his photo and additional details.

57332286_128223572579.jpg

The old man (Jesse) had either some regular service,  or he might have been part of a composite Service Company formed from the pre-1908 Volunteer Battalions of his regiment that after that year were reformed to become  Territorial Force units.  That’s the only way I can square the QSA medal ribbon.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

I also found a photo of Jesse's headstone  as he has a memorial on Find a Grave.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/57332286/j-lloyd

I do quite a bit on there, so I'll go in and add his photo and additional details.

57332286_128223572579.jpg

That's very kind of you mate. My folder is filling up and I'll be taking all this info to the next family gathering when things calm down over here a little. The line was originally a dead end at Frederick due to lack of information until someone from the U.K. made contact with a relative. 

1 minute ago, VRees said:

That's very kind of you mate. My folder is filling up and I'll be taking all this info to the next family gathering when things calm down over here a little. The line was originally a dead end at Frederick due to lack of information until someone from the U.K. made contact with a relative. 

You are most welcome. As I mentioned on Ancestry there are a number of family trees (some private) - I can see they have no date of death for Frederick so probably lost track as he went back to Australia. Someone else has that group photo with the sisters but assumed the soldier was Jesse. 

1 minute ago, david murdoch said:

You are most welcome. As I mentioned on Ancestry there are a number of family trees (some private) - I can see they have no date of death for Frederick so probably lost track as he went back to Australia. Someone else has that group photo with the sisters but assumed the soldier was Jesse. 

I have a treasure trove of photos of Frederick and family. He died well before I was born but I wound up with a collection of Kodachrome slides upon the passing of a relative. Yes it looks as though some people have confused/jumbled up some records and photos.

This is Frederick around 1972 and he bears the obvious signs of gassing and a hard life on the farm. The land he was given is in a town named Derrinallum in Victoria, which is in an area known as "pleurisy plains" (likely just a taste of the weather you get in the U.K. I expect !). His lungs were severely damaged after the gassing and he very nearly died. That said, he smoked rollies for most of his life up until he became too frail in the mid 70's.  The group photo contains his children. L-R My nan Phyllis (daughter), Fred, Dorothy Jean (daughter), Alma (daughter) and Vincent (adopted son).

I'm told Fred never spoke of the war and it comes as no surprise.

124172898_356316332134092_4418580590098609722_n.jpg

117313777_10158804398111255_7601061069054977873_n.jpg

106179321_2640435962897507_7218238706751265190_n.jpg

Fredcricket71.jpg

lloyd.jpg

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

The old man (Jesse) had either some regular service,  or he might have been part of a composite Service Company formed from the pre-1908 Volunteer Battalions of his regiment that after that year were reformed to become  Territorial Force units.  That’s the only way I can square the QSA medal ribbon.

See what I found  on Find My Past! I was just looking at his photo and blowing it up in photo editor you can make out the lighter stripe in the centre of the ribbon. 

Lloyd.jpg

Edited by david murdoch

26 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

See what I found  on Find My Past! I was just looking at his photo and blowing it up in photo editor you can make out the lighter stripe in the centre of the ribbon. 

Lloyd.jpg

Brilliant! Quite the sleuth mate I am so glad I signed up.

38 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

Well done David, that’s an excellent find.

5654443E-AD55-439C-B8F6-0DBD14E4A0D5.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 minutes ago, VRees said:

11 minutes ago, VRees said:

Here is the medal and a bit of background to it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Force_Efficiency_Medal

18002_560_1.jpg

Would these have been individually engraved ? I wouldn't have the foggiest as to who is in possession of the medal now but I am talking with a relative who did receive information from someone in the U.K. a few years ago. This has really made my day thanks gents!

Yes his TFE medal would definitely be named.

Very interesting story!

Edited by RNCVR

46 minutes ago, VRees said:

Would these have been individually engraved ? I wouldn't have the foggiest as to who is in possession of the medal now but I am talking with a relative who did receive information from someone in the U.K. a few years ago. This has really made my day thanks gents!

Usually inscribed around the rim of the medal.

9 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Usually inscribed around the rim of the medal.

I'll have to do a heck of a lot of detective work to track down that medal, but I do know of one connection in the U.K. who may be of assistance. Nonetheless I'm happy to find all this and appreciate all your assistance. Cheers!

16 minutes ago, VRees said:

I'll have to do a heck of a lot of detective work to track down that medal, but I do know of one connection in the U.K. who may be of assistance. Nonetheless I'm happy to find all this and appreciate all your assistance. Cheers!

It might be worth you joining the following forum and leaving an inquiry there:  https://britishmedalforum.com