Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WOII Albert George Savage

ForeignGong

There is also the death of an Albert George Savage aged 66 registered in Plymouth in the second quarter of 1945, which grabs my attention because we also have the death of a Florence Mary Savage registered in the same district 25 years later. The implied birth year for Albert George Savage is 1878/79, so about the right range for the individual we think we are looking for. 

I think you are correct, and that this is the pair, but I have tried and failed today to prove that it is

The problem is that the link is just circumstantial at the moment and they should be in 1939 Register, either together or separately to prove it. I cannot find that bit :(

15 minutes ago, corisande said:

The problem is that the link is just circumstantial at the moment and they should be in 1939 Register, either together or separately to prove it. I cannot find that bit

Yes, and there is also the question of where they were in the 1911 census.

14209 Daniel Thomas appears on the Special Reserve section of the BWM & VM medal roll. He has a surviving service record on FMP, so this is likely to indicate his enlistment date.

Image courtesy of Ancestry, fraction of original image reproduced under fair usage terms. 

14008_Spec_Reserve.png

Bingo, I think have just found them in the 1911 Wales census, their surname has been recorded as Sauagh, or at least that's how it is coming up on Ancestry. Albert George aged 32, Florence Mary aged 31, and a son named Alec William Wilfred and aged 3 and 2/12. They are living at 75 Commercial Street, Newport, Monmouthshire, and Albert's occupation is given as a gasfittings dealer. Albert's birth place is given as Bristol, and Florence's is Cardiff, so I think we identified the right people earlier. The only question now is whether this is the Albert George Savage that the OP was looking for.

Image courtesy of Ancestry

rg14_31980_0149_06_cropped.jpg

Edited by Tawhiri

Nice find.

The son, Alec was born 20/01/1908, and was living at 81 Stacey Road, Cardiff on the 1939 register. Looks like he married in Cardiff in 1942, and in Epping in 1949.

13 minutes ago, Tawhiri said:

Bingo, I think have just found them in the 1911 Wales census,

Well done. That is a remarkable amount of searching you have done to get that census entry

It almost certainly means that the Pension Card should be 1879 and not 1897. If that is correct, then this is the man the OP was after

In the end I found it by just searching on Florence Mary's forenames, with a birth place of Cardiff and an inferred birth year around 1879. It came back at the top of the search results, and as soon as I saw her husband was Albert George I figured it had to be the family we were looking for.

Edited by Tawhiri

That looks interesting, and would explain why Florence Mary was married but living with two other people, neither of who was Albert George in the 1939 Register, if he was a travelling salesman. His birth date of 16 February 1879 fits with the christening date of the Albert George Savage who's birth was registered in Barton Regis, Gloucestershire, which comes up as 23 March 1879 in the Bristol parish registers on Ancestry. His parents are named as William and Matilda Blanche Savage.

Edited by Tawhiri

The GRO Indexes suggest that there was also a daughter, Alma Florence, born in the third quarter of 1912, mother's maiden name Ambrose, and registered in Newport. I can't find any more children beyond the son we already know about.

39 minutes ago, IPT said:

What do you make of this man, living at the Ship Inn, Newton Abbot, in 1939

Note he was a discharged as WOII

...I should stick to the Irish ;)

Once again a big thank you to you all.

I'm a bit confused, do I take the Albert George Savage living at Ship Inn, Newton Abbot, in 1939 as my man even though his discharge date is 1923 and the Pension card states 1/3/19 or do I still work on a DOB 1897 not 1879. 

I'm not up on someone possibly serving in the Reserve / Territorials before the war, so could he be discharged from the army in 1919 and go back to the Reserve / Territorials post WW1 and then finally be discharged in 1923. If he has a PC is he still considered part of the army until his disability is finalized???

Any advice please????

Peter

Hello Peter,

It could be:

- Joins under Special Reserve terms, to serve six years

- Demobilised to Class Z. Ironically, he spends five and a half years with the colours and six months with the reserve, which is the polar opposite of pre-war peacetime service
- Extends his reserve service in the SR by four years to take him up to 1923

This would fit in with the above.

He had nothing to do with the Territorial Force; TF and SR are two completely different animals, albeit part of the overall reserve.
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/

Hope this is useful.

Regards
Keith

Peter

I was sort of hoping that the thread would not come back, as I have found him "addictive"

I think what we have is only one man

• 1879 Feb 16 Albert George Savage born Barton Regis, Gloucs. In BMD
  • He can be traced through the censuses through early life
  • 1907 Marries Florence Mary Ambrose in Cardiff
  • 1908 A son Alec born
  • 1911 census with his wife in Newport, Monmouth
  • 1912 A daughter born
  • 1914 Aug/Sep enlisted #14207 with SWB
  • Transfers to MGC as # 5584
  • 1918 Jul 12. Belgian C de G in LG
  • 1919 Was a WOII when discharged
  • 1919 Pension Card shows him discharged
  • 1919 News reports show him as a civilian in Cardiff
  • 1939 Register has him as a sales man, with his wife at a different address
  • 1945 He dies in Plymouth
  • 1970 His wife dies in Plymouth

It is internally self consistent apart from 2 things. The inconsistencies are here

savage2.jpg.675fe9ab4758352d17620e026d340518.jpg

savage3.jpg.3ad4304423f959a6dcc352569b47e774.jpg

• His date of birth is given as 1897. We believe that this is a clerical error that has transposed the 7 and 9 and it should be 1879
  • It says he was discharged in 1923. I think this has been covered in the post above. Note that the Pension Card does not say it was to the Z Reserves in 1919. Just "discharges"

Edited by corisande

Dear corisande,

Brilliant!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

The penny should have dropped earlier. The Alma F Thomas who is living with Florence Mary Savage in the 1939 Register is likely the daughter who was born in 1912. Her birth date is given as 8 September 1912, which is consistent with a third quarter birth registration in 1912. She is married, so Thomas is presumably her married name. The third person living with them who has their entry closed is presumably a child of Alma's.

Edited by Tawhiri