Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

432352 Robert Hodkinson M M 55th west lancashire D S Coy

Scottman

Hello   Brian   ,   many  thanks   ,   yes   with  the  virus   getting  stronger  it  will    be   a  long  time   before   the  libraries   and  record  offices    are  open   ,  Living   in  Manchester    I   need   to  visit  the  record  office   in  Liverpool   Central   Library   ,   but  I  cannot  see   when  that   will  be   ,  regards   Alan 

Hi Alan,

8 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

There is a Servive Record for 7825 Robert Henry Turner. He enlisted into the 5th Bn South Lancs in 1908 and there are a number of re engagement forms up to 1913 which show he was still with 5 South Lancs number 147. His obligation to serve outside the UK, signed I think 13/11/1914, shows 7825 WLD RE and there is a letter from him in the file which reads, "At the outbreak of war I was transferred to WLD RE".

There are some papers for another 5/South Lancs man. They show that he (Harold Davies) joined the West Lancs Division Signal Company from them on 5.11.1914 where he was renumbered to 7838, then subsequently renumbered again to 432328.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris

I only checked those names in the Sigs Co WD on 30/03/1916 who were Time Expired. I also checked the LNL names on the RE Medal Rolls i.e. from 432344 to 432360, including their previous RE numbers and LNL numbers, on FMP. No Service or Pension records other than Richard Warr. Two more MMs under RE 7856 Sydney Bewicke and 7859 Arthur Haslam both 1916 and three hospital admissions which, from length of service, indicate enlistment in 1913.

Brian

Many  thanks   for  all   the  information   you   sent  me   Brian  and   Chris   ,   very   much  appreciated   Regards   Alan 

Alan

When the library re opens I will check to see if there is anything in the papers for Robert Hodgkinson MM. There might be a photo and biography if he was from Bolton. The other MMs were Frederick Silby 432344  LG 15/09/1919, Sydney Bewicke 432346 LG 16/11/1916 as 7856, Arthur Haslam LG 06/09/1916 as 7859 and Joseph King 432353 LG 29/08/1917. Were they originally 5 LNL (like Richard Warr 432359) they will most likely be from Bolton and might be mentioned in the papers.

Brian

Many   thanks  Brian   ,   That  is  the  only   thing  I  don't  know  where  he  was  from   with  just  having  Robert    as  his    Christian   name  ,  I   cannot   check  the  1911    census  which    would   give  me  a  clue   where  he  was   from  ,    regards   Alan 

Hi  Brian   ,   I  just  checked   the   1911  census   and  found    a    Robert   Hodkinson    born    in  Bolton   in  1891   and   was  20    in  1911   ,   I  could   not   view   the  full   page    but  just   the  basic    details   regards   Alan 

Were the spellings Hodkinson and Hodgkinson interchangeable within a family? Hodgkinson on MM?

The above Robert Hodkinson was born in Bolton 28 November 1890, and baptised at St. George the Martyr Church, Bolton on 11 March 1891 (image off Ancestry). Same Hodkinson family at 31 Venice Street, Bolton in 1891. Robert 4 months old.

The family were living at 77 Venice Street, Bolton in 1901 (surname spelt Hodgkinson - probably by the census taker). Parents: Robert (45) & Mary (43), children: John (20), Clara (19), Robert (10), Harry (5) & Annie (6mths). Father Robert a 'Colliery Hewer'.

Family living at 297, Tylderley Road, Atherton in 1911. Robert aged 20, 'coal miner, stationary engine, below ground'.

Robert Hodkinson and his father were living at 284, Tyldesley Road, Atherton in 1939 (b. 28 Nov 1890). Robert d.1970 at Atherton.

Robert's baptismal entry off Ancestry:Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 08.57.52.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Many  thanks   Ivor   ,  yes     I   could   have   made  a  error   in  spelling   his  name   in  some  of  my    post's   with  leaving   the  g  out  of  his  surname   ,   I  will   do  another   search   with  the  g   in   his  name   regards  Alan 

If we take the spelling to be Hodgkinson it should reduce the search. If you edit your first post you can amend the spelling on the thread title. :) Ivor

Like this possible candidate at 47 Rise Street, Bolton in 1891 & 1901. Born Q3 1882 in Bolton. This 1901 census image off Ancestry:

47 Rise Street Bolton 1901.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

I  am  not  to  sure   how  to  edit   the   spelling   as  I  have  only  just   joined    the  Great  War   Forum   ,   thanks   for  all  your  help   Ivor  regards   Alan 

Hi Alan,

3 minutes ago, Scottman said:

I  am  not  to  sure   how  to  edit   the   spelling 

If you go to your opening post you can see three dots at the top right hand side of the screen.

image.png.6316392b5916f5b34a1a95e1d9cd6350.png

Click on those and you should get:

image.png.55abd936aeb94340ad84f511a547b291.png

Click on Edit, and you should get a screen something like this:

image.png.006378947002cc62c20d94fac279094a.png

Edit/amend the title, then click on the 'Edit Topic' button at the bottom of the screen.

If you wanted to edit or delete any of your subsequent posts, go to the one that you want to change, and click on the 3 dots there.

Regards

Chris

On 22/10/2020 at 18:04, Scottman said:

I  am  trying   to    research   the   Military   Medal   awarded   to  774  Spr   R  Hodgkinson   55th  W / Lanc   D S   Coy   R  E    T  F 

Hi, although it will not help you to specific knowledge of the acts that led to Spr R Hodgkinson's MM, are you aware that Thomas Hope Floyd's At Ypres with Best Dunkley describes  the situation in which the 55th Division found themselves in at about the time the MM was awarded, albeit from the point of view of another Battalion (2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers)? I have also recently acquired, but not yet read, the Rev J.O. Coop's The Story of the 55th (West Lancashire) Division. My grandfather, who  mentions Rev J.O Coop, was also in the 55th Division, having been in the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers from January 1916 until he was wounded in September 1916 (and coincidentally was at the same school as Thomas Flloyd), and also gives in his diary an account of the experiences of the 55th Division which may have been shared by Spr Hodgkinson during that period, assuming that Spr Hodgkinson had transferred to the Divisional Signals in or about November 1914 - see the website in my signature.

Many  thanks    ,   I  did  have  a   copy  of   '  At  Ypres   with   Best  Dunkley  ' many  years   ago  ,   I  will   buy  a  copy     and  will   be  interesting   to  read  it  regarding   The   Third    Battle  of  Ypres   ,    once  again   many  thanks   Alan