Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

432352 Robert Hodkinson M M 55th west lancashire D S Coy

Scottman

I  am  trying   to    research   the   Military   Medal   awarded   to  774  Spr   R  Hodgkinson   55th  W / Lanc   D S   Coy   R  E    T  F   ,   all   I  have  is   his  Gazette   date  of  29  8  1917   ,   any  help   with  a  possible   citation   or  details  about  his  service  would  be  very  helpful   

Sorry   to  say  I  put  his  number   as  774  ,   when  it  should   have  been  432352  ,   my  simple  mistake  with  doing   so  much  research   

Hi Scottman,

1 hour ago, Scottman said:

any  help   with  a  possible   citation   or  details  about  his  service  would  be  very  helpful 

...with  doing   so  much  research

To avoid forum pals duplicating your research, may I ask what you already know?

Edit:

There is help on how to research a Military Medal here.

From the war diary of the Adjutant and Quarter-Master General, 55 Division:

image.png.819c2373b25f2d69c7011edd21bd578b.png

Image sourced from Ancestry

So you may be looking for an action/event around the start of July 1917.

I see that the other men shown were also in the Divisional Signal Company.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

If you can visit Liverpool yourself (or find someone willing to check) this set of records in the Liverpool Record Office may be your friend. (in the Central Library in William Brown St and less than 5 minutes walk from Lime St Station). The archive isn't 100% complete, but I reckon there's about 75% of the citations for the infantry battalions I was researching, so you may be lucky with the RE. You can't just drop in, but have to book in advance with them so they can locate and bring the relevant records out of storage. If it's your first time there you need two forms of identification.

http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=356+FIF%2f6%2f6%2f2

If it's on the 'Birthday List' the reference is

http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=356+FIF%2f6%2f3%2f29

Edited by IRC Kevin

Many  thanks   Chris   and  Kevin  ,    I  don't   have   much  information   on  Spr   Hodkinson    ,     only    the  date   he  arrived   in   France   and  London   Gazette   date  for  his  M  M.      I   will    search  the   war  diary    for  early   July   ,   but  the  war  diary   can  be  a  bit  hit   and   miss   thanks  Chris  ,   Living  in   Manchester    with  the  lockdown   it  looks  like   it  will  be  a  bit  before   I   can  make  the  visit   to   Liverpool   Kevin  many  thanks   

You can see a preview of his MM index card here (and order a download for free if you register): https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6174169

MM schedule no. 99782. As you already know, he served with the 55th Divisional Signal Company, RE.

Their War Diary seems to be available here: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354863

He served under 3 different service numbers (MIC free off Ancestry). His service medals were issued under 7863.

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 08.09.02.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Correction

Further to Chris' helpful post from the Divisional Adjutant's WD, I can confirm that the schedule numbers for those 4 soldiers are consecutive, meaning that they were for the same action around May-June 1917 (Messines?): 

99781 Joseph King 432353

99782 Robert Hodgkinson 432352

99783 Wilfred Bray 152245

99784 Charles Shepherd 432035

MM Index Card for Robert   TNA ref. WO-372-23-120868MM Hodgkinson 1917.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Living  in   Manchester    with  the  lockdown   it  looks  like   it  will  be  a  bit  before   I   can  make  the  visit   to   Liverpool   Kevin  many  thanks   

Ditto, but you may be able to get someone local to have a look for you, as the Jeudwine papers are possibly the only surviving place the citation survives (if it was amongst those saved for the archive). Might be worth joining the Liverpool & SWL Family History group's Facebook page and asking on there. (Mary Fury, who runs the group actually helps out in the Family History section of the library, which is one the same floor as the Archives) The references for this person would need to order are '356/FIF/6/6/2 55th Division Royal Engineers Immediate Awards' and for the Birthday Honours '356/FIF/6/3/29 Royal Engineers'.

Many  thanks   for  your   kind   help   ,   much   appreciated   ,   I  will  check  out  the  Liverpool   and  SWL   Facebook   page  Alan 

2 hours ago, Scottman said:

Living  in   Manchester    with  the  lockdown   it  looks  like   it  will  be  a  bit  before   I   can  make  the  visit   to   Liverpool   Kevin  many  thanks   

See also Chris' post / LLT on how to research a MM.

If you've only 'remote access' [and have access to such a resource e.g. the British Newspaper Archive] a search of newspapers is a potentially good place to find something.

Typically c.3 months from action to announcement in LG.

Any newspaper report may have come from family or from the soldier so may be a bit more detailed [?colourful?]

If not, and just written up by the paper, however also seems likely to just quote from the reverse of the medal "For bravery in the field"

:-) M

Hi   Matlock 1418  ,   many  thanks   ,   yes    I  will  have   to  check    the  Newspaper   archive  ,   could   be  a  chance   there  is  a  mention   of   him   ,   much  appreciated    Alan  

I  will  have   to  check    the  Newspaper   archive

I wouldn't stick strictly until after the LG announcement - I'd try certainly from June/July 1917 I guess. [I don't have access, so sorry can't try for you]

He might have been earlier awarded in the field so news might have got home a bit earlier and thus into the newspapers [???]

Good luck.

:-) M

Hi,

On Ancestry (link) his TFWM roll shows:

image.png.5dbaa2096f3fd890a3b213cecf512185.png

image.png.d5a4529db0a05a27a0c4137b3a6b9fdc.png

Images sourced from Ancestry

You can probably read something into his service by the eligibility qualifications - see the LLT here. Wiki expands a bit:

The medal was established in April 1920 for award to members of the Territorial Force and Territorial Force Nursing Service who volunteered for service overseas on or before 30 September 1914, and served overseas. They had to:

• have been serving with the Force on 4 August 1914; or
  • have completed four years service with the Force before 4 August 1914 and rejoined on or before 30 September 1914.

In addition provided they:

• undertook, either verbally or by written agreement on or before 30 September 1914 to serve outside the United Kingdom, such agreement being operative after 4 August 1914, and
  • have served outside the United Kingdom between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918 (both dates inclusive; the last date was in 1918 though the years on the reverse said 1914-19) and
  • did not qualify for the 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star.

His 6 digit RE service number is as the result of a new system of (re)numbering TF men which was introduced in 1917 - see the LLT here. Prior to it several men would have held the same lower (commonly 4) digit number.

It's a shame that we can't be certain about which specific Battalion of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, or unit of the RE he served with prior to his 6 digit RE number and his subsequent MM with the Divisional Signal Company. If we did it might have been possible to date when the shorter numbers were issued. However, surrounding Robert on the medal roll page (Ancestry link) there are a number of men who appear to have gone from the LNL (under 4 digit numbers), to the RE where they were renumbered to new 4 digit numbers, and then renumbered to 6 digit RE numbers, based sequentially (allowing for 'fall outs') on their previous 4 digit RE number.

There are some surviving service papers for 432359 Warr which show:

image.png.33ec18ba14149c98d1d2ed6638a8fa2a.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Unfortunately it doesn't show a date of transfer from the LNL to the RE. Wider near number sampling may prove helpful.

Regards

Chris 

The War Diary entry on 15th July 1917 records the 4 MMs. The previous page records regular repair of lines due to damage by hostile shell-fire:

(Quelmes is west of St. Omer in France).Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 13.59.26.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Thank  you  Ivor  ,   it  looks  like   he  was  awarded   the   M  M   for   repairing   lines   ,   very  much  appreciated   ,   Regards   Alan 

This zoomable map shows the area near Quelmes in 1917 (Reigersberg Chateau is in Austria?) https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464894

The previous WD page mention Boisdinghem and repairing buried lines in the 'RAMPARTS' damaged by shelling. They seem to have worked on the lines of communication between here and Ypres. "Reigersberg Chateau on the Yser canal some 500 yards to the north-west of Ypres".

Here it is (top-left) below. Source: https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464903

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 15.29.28.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

18 hours ago, clk said:

Images sourced from Ancestry

There are some surviving service papers for 432359 Warr which show:

image.png.33ec18ba14149c98d1d2ed6638a8fa2a.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Unfortunately it doesn't show a date of transfer from the LNL to the RE. Wider near number sampling may prove helpful.

Regards

Chris 

Chris

The Div Sigs Co disembarked at Havre on 08/01/1916 and the entry in the WD for 03/03/1916 records 7870 Dvr Warr, R S sent to hospital and evacuated. On 30/03/1916 it names a number of men who were sent to Base, being Time Expired and unwilling to re engage. One is 7825 Sgt Turner R.

There is a Servive Record for 7825 Robert Henry Turner. He enlisted into the 5th Bn South Lancs in 1908 and there are a number of re engagement forms up to 1913 which show he was still with 5 South Lancs number 147. His obligation to serve outside the UK, signed I think 13/11/1914, shows 7825 WLD RE and there is a letter from him in the file which reads, "At the outbreak of war I was transferred to WLD RE". There are other previous references to him being 5 South Lancs att RE. Perhaps all those men on the Medal Rolls ex infantry were transferred at the same time.

Brian

Brian

Thanks Brian,

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Perhaps all those men on the Medal Rolls ex infantry were transferred at the same time.

That's what I was thinking too. It looks likely that Robert may have originally joined the 5/LNL towards the end of July 1913 as 1805. Hopefully if Scottman can do some more work around his 7863 West Lancs RE number he might be able to firm up a potential transfer date.

Regards

Chris

Hi  Chris  ,   that's   very   interesting   about   Robert   joining  the  5th L N L   in   1913 ,    I  will   have   to   try  and   research     the    5th  L  N  L    further ,    I  might   have  to  put   a  post   on     G W F   ,    many  thanks   for   all  your   help  Alan 

Hi  Brian  ,   many  thanks   for  all  the  information    about  the  5th   L N L   transferring   to  the   W L D   R E  ,    very   much   appreciated    Alan 

Many   thanks   again   Ivor   with  the   map ,    the   story   about   Robert   Hodkinson 's   M M   is   coming    together   Alan 

Alan

5 Loyal North Lancs was the TF Bn local to Bolton and based at Fletcher St Barracks. In normal circumstances I am in the History Centre on the library on Tuesday and Thursday mornings but not since the lockdown.  There is no prospect of the library being back to normal for some time. I will look at some of the other ex LNL on the RE Medal Rolls

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
typo