Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russians in England story 1914....

T, Fazzini

Years ago I read in a book of strange occurnces this story..that in  1914 that Strange men with accents and snow on their boots [Russians] had landed in England...the explanation was quite simple..Scottish gilies/gamekeepers had come down  from Scotland at the start of War 1914....when asked where they came from they said "Rossshire"  which sounded like Russia....Anyone else heard of this story?

It's an interesting theory, but as far as I know, no-one has come up with an explanation as to how they had snow on their boots in summer!  I don't think Scottish weather is that extreme.

See posts, including mine,  within this old thread

The account in James Hayward's book makes fascinating reading. The story was taken up by the American press, with the number of Russians estimated at between 50,000 and "little short of a million". A Perthshire landowner had boasted of 125,000 Cossacks crossing his estates. It appears that UK national newspapers treated the story sceptically and satirically.

Apart from the "Ross-shire" theory there's another that a London food wholesaler had received a telegram announcing that 200,000 "Russians" were being despatched via Archangel, the reference being to eggs rather than soldiers.

...and people think that fake news is a modern phenomenon.  Somewhere, I have a period  postcard making fun of it.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

This analysis of the Great War, from ‘1066 And All That’ (1930) was posted elsewhere on the Forum earlier this week:

The War lasted three years or the duration, the Americans being 100% victorious. At the beginning the Russians rendered great assistance to the American cause by lending their memorable steam-roller and by passing silently through England one Sunday morning before breakfast with snow on their boots. The Americans were also assisted by the Australians (AZTECS) and some Canadians, and 51 Highlanders.)

Apparently in Germany at the same time there were rumours of cars being driven by Frenchmen , these were said to be laden with gold and heading for Russia to aid

their war effort .